The thing about ice cream

Options

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I've also felt unsatisfied after eating ice cream in place of a meal. And I've also felt like it wasn't worth it to have what I consider a "treat" food in place of what I normally eat for lunch or dinner. So yes, I totally get what you are saying.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would choose frozen yogurt instead as a healthier choice, it tastes almost the same as ice-cream. Just don't put a bunch of unhealthy toppings on it and its not as bad as ice-cream. Or most popsicles are pretty low in calories, so I don't feel that guilty about eating one. It has been over 100 degrees here where I live, so frozen treats are somewhat of a necessity in my opinion.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Breyers - Chocolate Ice Cream, 1/2 cup 66g (calories)140 (c)17 (f)7 (p)2
    Avocado, Haas - Usda (Grams), 66 g (calories)110 (c)6 (f)10 (p)1

Why is an avocado more real? Please explain.

Fat and protein are what satiates most people. The only issue with ice cream is it has higher carbs, same as bread...rice or any other carb. The fat and protein is a bonus. Also 140 calories is normally pretty easy to work in.

But who eats a half cup of ice cream? That's a joke, right??
    <
    Eats 1/2 cup of ice cream with no problem. Because I've learned how to have self control and knowing that tomorrow I can have more makes it easier. I don't have to eat all of it at once.

So much self control that there are probably 10 different ice creams/gelato in my freezer right now. I don't feel the need to open it every 5 minutes to eat.

I eat 1/2 cup of ice cream almost nightly. I have 12 pints in the freezer of Talenti and 3 different quarts of homemade ice cream Comes down to knowing I will eat my portion that fits into my day and tomorrow I'll decide what fits then

Same here, on the .5 cup most nights. I only ever have 2-3 kinds in my freezer, though. This thread is teaching me (a) that I need a bigger freezer, and (b) I really need to get my ice cream maker out of storage.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I would choose frozen yogurt instead as a healthier choice, it tastes almost the same as ice-cream. Just don't put a bunch of unhealthy toppings on it and its not as bad as ice-cream. Or most popsicles are pretty low in calories, so I don't feel that guilty about eating one. It has been over 100 degrees here where I live, so frozen treats are somewhat of a necessity in my opinion.

Why is frozen yogurt the healthier choice? Quick comparison of vanilla of course brands will be slightly different

Vanilla frozen yogurt: 1/2 cup = 114 calories 17g carbs 4g fat 2.9 protein

Vanilla ice cream: 1/2 cup = 137 calories 16g carbs 7g fat 2.3 protein

I also never associate guilt with food, it's food. I make a choice to eat it or not but guilt has no place in that.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Fat and protein are what satiates most people. The only issue with ice cream is it has higher carbs, same as bread...rice or any other carb. The fat and protein is a bonus. Also 140 calories is normally pretty easy to work in.

<
    Eats 1/2 cup of ice cream with no problem. Because I've learned how to have self control and knowing that tomorrow I can have more makes it easier. I don't have to eat all of it at once.

So much self control that there are probably 10 different ice creams/gelato in my freezer right now. I don't feel the need to open it every 5 minutes to eat.

I eat 1/2 cup of ice cream almost nightly. I have 12 pints in the freezer of Talenti and 3 different quarts of homemade ice cream Comes down to knowing I will eat my portion that fits into my day and tomorrow I'll decide what fits then

Same here, on the .5 cup most nights. I only ever have 2-3 kinds in my freezer, though. This thread is teaching me (a) that I need a bigger freezer, and (b) I really need to get my ice cream maker out of storage.

I had to buy a separate freezer just so I could actually fit meat in along with my gelato and definitely get that ice cream maker out
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I just want to say, if someone doesn't have the will-power to be able to eat ice cream in moderation, (maybe they just need to work on it, but they haven't mastered it yet) then it's their prerogative if they indulge, or choose to avoid it. YOU are not THEM.

I agree with that, but far more often it seems to me we get posts from someone who feels like he or she personally cannot have ice cream or some other sweet food item (or anything else considered "junk" food or sometimes just bread or some such) who wants to extrapolate from that to no one should or everyone has the same problems or it's better or healthier or just more virtuous not to. Like the posts that suggest that people in general will feel worse from having a little ice cream, which is frankly silly.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I've also felt unsatisfied after eating ice cream in place of a meal. And I've also felt like it wasn't worth it to have what I consider a "treat" food in place of what I normally eat for lunch or dinner. So yes, I totally get what you are saying.

Has anyone anywhere been recommending that people skip meals and eat ice cream instead?

Is this a new version of "it's not healthy to eat only cookies, so therefore no one should ever eat anything containing added sugar"?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

Has anyone anywhere been recommending that people skip meals and eat ice cream instead?

Is this a new version of "it's not healthy to eat only cookies, so therefore no one should ever eat anything containing added sugar"?

First question...Not that I know of.

As for the second part....I don't know where you are going with that. I only responded to the OP with my personal experiences with eating ice cream for a meal. I still eat sugar and ice cream and all that other stuff. Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Oh wait...did you assume that since I said that I have felt unsatisfied with eating ice cream as a meal, that I don't ever eat ice cream and that I condemn sugar and "unhealthy" treats?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Agree^^^

I personally don't know anyone dumb enough to eat just ice cream for dinner and think they will walk away full. That's just absurd.
    [/quote]

I have had ice cream in place of a "meal" and felt full, satisfied, and happy. Granted, it wasn't a bowl of plain vanilla, but a peanut buster parfait (ice cream, hot fudge, and peanuts), but it did keep my full for the next 5 hours (lunch around 1pm until 6ish pm for supper). Then again, I am one of those weirdos who doesn't get hungrier the more carbs I eat.

Edit: quote fixing
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Agree^^^

I personally don't know anyone dumb enough to eat just ice cream for dinner and think they will walk away full. That's just absurd.

zyxst does.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

First question...Not that I know of.

As for the second part....I don't know where you are going with that. I only responded to the OP with my personal experiences with eating ice cream for a meal. I still eat sugar and ice cream and all that other stuff. Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about.
    The point being what would make you think eating ice cream instead of a meal should leave you satisfied?

I guess it depends on the person. Some people think that high amounts of calories, fat, or carbs can give you a feeling of satiation, regardless of what food it is. And sometimes, it actually does satisfy them. I can't speak for anyone else though. As for me, I guess in the face of temptation, I can find ways to rationalize anything. You make a mistake (in my case, thinking that a huge bowl of ice cream with lots of calories will be satisfying) and you learn from it.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Original Tart Froyo with blueberries is one of my favorite dinners. Don't have that too often, but occasionally I do.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Agree^^^

You might not know anyone personally who believes that, but there is a reply on page three from someone who says that they actually do feel satisfied after eating an ice cream treat. I guess everyone has a different view of what makes them feel "satisfied".
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Nutritional benefits, or lack thereof, aside: what about the emotional benefits of not depriving yourself of something that actually contributes to the serotonin and dopamine levels in your brain for an indeterminate amount of time while you "diet"? I know that in my experience, deprivation is the single biggest driver behind every failed attempt at lasting weight loss I've had in my life.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

<

Exactly! I have 3 or 4 different flavors at home, and 2 at work. They've lasted a long time because I weigh them out. Sometimes I don't have a full serving, sometimes I have more. Eating it for breakfast has actually helped me not crave sweets the rest of the day.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The benefits of ice-cream?
    -it tastes luxurious and good - so prevents you feeling deprived. A little works well.
    -it can be bought in pre-packed and counted quantities - so no cheating
    -it is kept in the freezer - so isn't in plain view tempting you to keep eating

- eating it does puzzle and annoy those who think you are 'on a diet' and should only be eating celery