Anyone Else Have an Overweight Chid? Any tips?

Options
124»

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    What is cordial??

booze?

Oh, like orange squash. Not sure what you call it in the US. Just flavoured and concentrated and you add water to it.

I definitely don't give my kids booze lol.

It was especially funny reading it and looking at your profile pic with the adorable little munchkin.
    Why did you ruin my awesome scenario!! :laugh:

Haha it is tempting at bedtime sometimes....especially with my 3 year old :smile:
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep him active, and model the behavior you want to see in him. I was a skinny kid but my parents were very sedentary indoor types and I picked up the habit... now I'm a primo couch potato trying to deal with the effects of decades spent lying around reading and watching TV. Being active with your son will also pay off in good memories... I still recall specific things like the time my dad decided to take us kite-flying in the junior-high-school parking lot (this would be circa 1975!). Events like that really stood out because we didn't go out and run around together very often. Both the health benefits and the memories will be priceless.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job recognizing that changes are needed. Perhaps make HEALTHY LIVING (not dieting) a family affair by learning how to cook together, having everyone choose a relatively healthy recipe (doesn't have to be only lean meats and veggies, and can be something fun), and then try and make it together on the weekend or something.

My daughter is 9 and while she doesn't have a weight problem, this kid can eat! and has a crazy sweet tooth! She gets a little something each day and knows about balance. I have no problem saying no when she asks for something else with sugar. I tell her that she's already had "xyz" but she can have some fruit and a cheese string or whatever. My biggest challenge with her is protein unfortunately.....she's not a big meat eater so I'm stuck with offering the same beans, eggs, dairy products, etc.

While I don't restrict how much she eats as she's had some pretty crazy growth spurts over the last 2 years, but I will sometimes point out that she is asking for a snack when I think she is bored or thirsty and get some water....

Last, find a sport that he likes. My daughter isn't a team sport kind of girl and is highly energetic. A perfect fit for her has been trampoline lessons. She loves it! AND we will sometimes go to the open jumping times on weekends in winter so it's something we can do together and it's a change of exercise for me :)

Oh and for things like fast food, she's not a fan of french fries but she loves the milkshakes, or sugary drinks of course....so she can have chicken and a small drink of choice. If she wants fries, then she gets milk. lol That way she doesn't feel deprived of the junk, it's just limited a little and she's learning balance and moderation.
  • shexy16
    shexy16 Posts: 68
    Options
    It sounds like you're definitely on the right track by cutting out junk food and promoting healthy eating in the home. Once he's old enough to be out and about more by himself, this will hopefully make it easier for him to make healthier choices. It's kind of hard to know what he'll eat at his friends' houses or at a party or something. I think it's OK to let him have occasional treats, because total deprivation would be really hard at that age. It's hard for me at my age...lol

Not that this has been an issue, and I'm sure you would never say anything in front of him that he could take wrong. Kids are very sensitive, so it's great to keep it all on a positive focus and keep the focus on health and not weight.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'd stop buying drinks in the grocery store - if it's a family rule that everyone drinks water as part of mum's own health kick, then he'll just accept it (he won't feel singled out) and he'll consume less calories. Swimming is a great idea, so are team sports - because they're social and don't seem like exercise. A Wii could be fun too, although I really know nothing about them. But I would like to second the suggestion of a dog - one he'd help walk day and night - if you live in a good neighbourhood. That way you could have more parent/son time and he'd be walking no matter the weather...

I agree with the various comments that suggest you shouldn't make him 'feel' overweight... but at the same time, doing nothing as you're doctor suggests doesn't seem smart to me. My parents did nothing and I ended up overweight all through primary school, then secondary school, then university... If my mum had been as on the ball as you, I might have learnt some very important life skills a lot earlier. Namely portion control, sensible eating and the importance of exercise.

Good luck!

xx