Should i tell him that he is gaining the weight back

Options

Replies

• Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Has Atkins in username, comments on a co-worker's all-vegetable diet.

Exactly. Guys, I think OP just had an agenda here, this really doesn't seem sincere (or even like a legit user account).
  • Tornadoes_R_Fun
    Options
    and for the people saying he knows...you'd be surprised at how deluded some people can become.

Even though I a not going to say anything, i do agree with you that its easy to pretend its not happening in early stages especially if its 5 to 10 lbs

So what? It's still not your business.

wow...some friend you are. maybe you arent close with your friends but for anyone i call a "good friend" like the OP i would speak up and would hope they would do the same.

So you go around telling all of your overweight friends that you are worried about them, and think they need to lose weight?

yep. because im a good friend. if i notice any harmful changes in a friends life(weight problem, gambling problem, alcohol/drugs, etc..) i will speak up because thats what friends are for.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    no he knows! maybe ask him if he needs a friend to talk to instead. Maybe something is stressing his out!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Wow. You wouldn't be my friend for long. I'm sure he knows he's gaining weight - he doesn't need you to ridicule him for it.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I am good friends with one of my co workers who lost weight 6 months ago by eating only vegetables for a month. However, now it looks like he is gaining it back.I can see it from his stomach area as it seems like that's the first place males put weight when they gain weight. He looks noticeably thicker .

should I tell him before he finds himself back where he started? Its so easy to not notice the early stages of weight gain.Do you think he will be pissed

This is exactly what happens when you cut out critical food groups, in this instance protein and fat, and load up on carbs coming from vegi's only. You lose a lot of weight and when you start eating normal again you balloon out.

I imagine he probably already knows what is happening, because he is starting to eat normal again. I don't think I would bring it to his attention. But, you could talk about portion control, and MFP should you think he would be open to that.
  • Tornadoes_R_Fun
    Options
    Wow. You wouldn't be my friend for long. I'm sure he knows he's gaining weight - he doesn't need you to ridicule him for it.

did the OP say they'd ridicule him? my impression was that they would in a kind way discuss it. like any good friend would.
  • Telton66
    Options
    I am good friends with one of my co workers who lost weight 6 months ago by eating only vegetables for a month. However, now it looks like he is gaining it back.I can see it from his stomach area as it seems like that's the first place males put weight when they gain weight. He looks noticeably thicker .

should I tell him before he finds himself back where he started? Its so easy to not notice the early stages of weight gain.Do you think he will be pissed

This is exactly what happens when you cut out critical food groups, in this instance protein and fat, and load up on carbs coming from vegi's only. You lose a lot of weight and when you start eating normal again you balloon out.

I imagine he probably already knows what is happening, because he is starting to eat normal again. I don't think I would bring it to his attention. But, you could talk about portion control, and MFP should you think he would be open to that.

I agree withh you.when he lost weight he went back to eat normally and he is always getting food from work since you can eat anything you want for free.I was actually tempted at first to do the same thing but I decided to do ot the healthy way
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Write a note to him on the staff board, or stick it on the fridge....

Circulate a memo around the office for everyone to motivate him?
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Tell him but in a more subtle way by inviting him out for a walk/ hike/ etc.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Options

did the OP say they'd ridicule him? my impression was that they would in a kind way discuss it. like any good friend would.

There is no nice way to tell someone you think they're too fat.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

^^
    Pretty much this! I had someone congratulate me on my weight loss the other day - via miming large hips & stating "Oh wow you've reduced so much!" - Umm thanks? & that was a compliment! :laugh:

Seriously OP they will already know!
  • Tornadoes_R_Fun
    Options

there are plenty of ways of telling someone that you care enough about them and that you noticed they might be putting on a few pounds. sometimes you can do it in a joking way, or a more sincere way...being their good friend you would know which way is best.

the worst thing you can do is nothing and just watch your friend continue to harm themselves.

dont let your own insecurities interfere with helping a friend.
  • Tornadoes_R_Fun
    Options

^^
    Pretty much this! I had someone congratulate me on my weight loss the other day - via miming large hips & stating "Oh wow you've reduced so much!" - Umm thanks? & that was a compliment! :laugh:

Seriously OP they will already know!

already know? how many times do hear people say "i never knew i gained THAT much weight" people delude themselves all the time. there are studies done showing just how wrong people's self image is in either direction. do the right thing and discuss problems with your friends.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Options

there are plenty of ways of telling someone that you care enough about them and that you noticed they might be putting on a few pounds. sometimes you can do it in a joking way, or a more sincere way...being their good friend you would know which way is best.

the worst thing you can do is nothing and just watch your friend continue to harm themselves.

I watched this play out in my office earlier this week - it didn't go well. My co-worker was hurt and furious by the "help" from the other co-worker... The dude knows he's gaining weight - he doesn't need help to figure it out. Pretending that you care so much about him doesn't make it less hurtful when you point it out.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    No. No. No.

Do you really expect him to slap his forehead and say "OMG, I just thought all my clothes were shrinking!" He KNOWS he is gaining weight again -- just like everyone on this site (unless they are willfully ignorant) KNOWS when they are gaining weight.
    He either will, or will not, get back on track. Not your business.

Here my script for the SNL skit:

OP approaches co-worker and gently, kindly reminds him that he is getting fatty fatty fat fat again. Or words to that effect.
    Co-worker joins mfp.
    Co-worker starts a thread about the cruel, insensitive remarks by "someone at work" who has cut his self-esteem to the core.
    Hilarity ensues. Not.
    :laugh:
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure he's well aware.:indifferent:
  • Tornadoes_R_Fun
    Options

I watched this play out in my office earlier this week - it didn't go well. My co-worker was hurt and furious by the "help" from the other co-worker... The dude knows he's gaining weight - he doesn't need help to figure it out. Pretending that you care so much about him doesn't make it less hurtful when you point it out.

like i keep saying in this thread im referring to discussing this with a "good friend" like the OP states. i would be much less likely to discuss anything like this with a random coworker.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Trust me...he knows.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    He knows.
  • wumba84
    wumba84 Posts: 14
    Options
    It's like this....when you're losing weight, people will compliment you and cheer you on, but once you start gaining back.....you no longer hear those compliments and are met with only silence. I would say, mention a diet/exercise routine with him in conversation...chances are, unless he's stepped on the scale recently he may not physically notice a difference, or he has and will point it out himself. It's a sensitive issue for everyone of both genders.