Donating blood burns 600-650 calories!

Options
I donated blood today, and have been feeling a little discouraged because I've been extra hungry and not able to do any strenuous exercise. I am over my calories for the day already, but I still feel like eating. :grumble:
So. anyway, out of curiosity, (and to hopefully make myself feel better) I looked it up to see if it does burn calories. And YES! it does - 600-650 calories! Now I feel better, it doesn't look any better on my food diary :ohwell: but at least I know it's better.

Replies

• colehook
    Options
    Good to know!! I always get frustrated after donating because it make me so weak and I have a hard time working out even 48hrs afterwards.
  • colonelangus
    Options
    So if I donate six pints I can drink a bunch more tonight? Cool.
  • colonelangus
    Options
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry after donating blood, EAT! You're trying to replenish that blood loss. And make sure you're staying hydrated.

Nice to know you can burn that many calories in 5 minutes sitting on your butt though, right? :laugh:
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    They should use that on their posters. Give blood, it burns 600 calories! :laugh:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes! I've been giving a lot of blood to my doc lol and my doctor friend told me it takes calories to make new blood - i was like YES!! Bring it on!
  • stephwilkerson45
    stephwilkerson45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is great to know! I just donated and was wondering how I was going to make my calorie goal with the extra I'm going to need today. Any source for this fantastic info and is it counted as "exercise" here on MFP?
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    In Canada they won't accept blood from Homosexual donors. Not high-risk homosexual donors-ALL homosexual donors.

Therefore they don't get my calories.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    In Canada they won't accept blood from Homosexual donors. Not high-risk homosexual donors-ALL homosexual donors.

Therefore they don't get my calories.

it's the same way here in the U.S.
    it's a shame really :( there are so many people out there willing to give blood and help others, and they turn you down due to your sexual preferences.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    How do you burn cals sitting on a chair with a blood draw in you is what I want to know.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've tried the approach, but after my 3rd or 4th donation of the day I start getting dizzy
    :wink:
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    How do you burn cals sitting on a chair with a blood draw in you is what I want to know.

I think it has something to do with your body working hard to replace what it lost.
  • Jaradel
    Jaradel Posts: 143 Member
    Options

If I understand this correctly, it's not the act of donating blood that burns the calories - it the body making new blood to replace what you donated that burns the calories.

This is good info to have. I might be more motivated to donate more often than just the 2-3 times a year that my church does a blood drive...
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options

HAHA! You can be a 1 drink drunk if you donate blood first.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Really? I dont think so. I want to know HOW the OP came up with this #.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    They should use that on their posters. Give blood, it burns 600 calories! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think I may become a regular!
  • mhc90
    mhc90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I didn't know that. What is the rationale behind that, I wonder? Ignorance?
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Well, talk about a Win Win situation!

WinWin.jpg
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    No it isn't.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Seriously? I didn't know that. What is the rationale behind that, I wonder? Ignorance?

Plain old homophobia. The ban happened in the 80s after all the AIDS scares, which was understandable. However, now that every blood donation gets screened (before the 80s, they didn't actually test it for a bunch of stuff, including AIDS and hepatitis) it's ridiculous. And although I did say homosexuals, it's actually only homosexual MEN. Hate to break it to them, AIDS happens to women...and to people who have had sex with other people.
    They call me once a month, cause I have a rare blood type and practically beg. I'd like to, the thought of helping people and saving lives is a good one, but I have to take a moral stand here.
    This ban is outdated and morally objectionable now.