A CHALLENGE FOR BINGERS

Options
Okay so based on the name of this challenge...you can tell what my biggest problem is with dieting. I like to binge. Often. It's becoming a VERY big obstacle, and it's gotten to the point where I started thinking maybe I shouldn't even be on this site anymore because I've been thinking about food all the time, and it's been taking over my thoughts. BUT...I know many of you may have the same problem, so I thought if I could make a challenge out of it, we could all help each other out and beat this "dieting disease" once and for all!

Here's what I'm thinking. We start out with ONE day of no binging, then two, three, etc. In the meantime, let's keep each other updated on what day we're on as well as weigh-in's. If you binge, you start back over at 1. We need to remember that it's not the end of the world if you have to start over every once in awhile, but the goal should be to beat your last number of days IF you should happen to binge. Let's define binging as the number of calories it would take for you to GAIN 1 pound per week. That's different for everyone, and you can find this number by momentarily changing your settings to "gain 1 pound per week." This thread should also be a place where we can give ideas on how to get your mind off food when it's all you can think about as well as healthy alternatives for our cravings so we can stay at our daily goals. Good luck to those who join and I look forward to fighting my cravings with you all:flowerforyou:

Replies

• dancer33
    dancer33 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Okay so based on the name of this challenge...you can tell what my biggest problem is with dieting. I like to binge. Often. It's becoming a VERY big obstacle, and it's gotten to the point where I started thinking maybe I shouldn't even be on this site anymore because I've been thinking about food all the time, and it's been taking over my thoughts. BUT...I know many of you may have the same problem, so I thought if I could make a challenge out of it, we could all help each other out and beat this "dieting disease" once and for all!

Here's what I'm thinking. We start out with ONE day of no binging, then two, three, etc. In the meantime, let's keep each other updated on what day we're on as well as weigh-in's. If you binge, you start back over at 1. We need to remember that it's not the end of the world if you have to start over every once in awhile, but the goal should be to beat your last number of days IF you should happen to binge. Let's define binging as the number of calories it would take for you to GAIN 1 pound per week. That's different for everyone, and you can find this number by momentarily changing your settings to "gain 1 pound per week." This thread should also be a place where we can give ideas on how to get your mind off food when it's all you can think about as well as healthy alternatives for our cravings so we can stay at our daily goals. Good luck to those who join and I look forward to fighting my cravings with you all:flowerforyou:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea, and I'm in! Frankly, it couldn't have been timelier for me -- I was just making a chocolate brownie parfait for a BBQ tomorrow and was in danger of eating ALL the leftovers. I'm so glad I sat down to read the message boards instead. I'm throwing away the leftovers (figuring it's the same "waste" as eating them) and counting this as my DAY ONE.

I'm not weighing in for a few more days, but will post when I do. I'm really nervous because I've really been eating too much and not exercising enough over the past several weeks. So again, I'm glad I found this post. I was actually going to start my own thread about accountability.

Good luck!
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    i'm definitely up for this one!

since i already binged today, tomorrow will be my day one.
  • sweetandstormy
    Options
    Oh, I've got to be in. I can't seem to go more than 3 days without binging and it's driving me crazy. I know I can do it and maybe this will help.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!! This is my personal demon and I'm so glad you've made this challenge :happy: When shall we weigh in? Weekends tend to be tough on people so would it be motivating to everyone if we did a Saturday or Sunday weigh-in??

Looking forward to succeeding with all of you! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • kallio
    kallio Posts: 70
    Options
    Dancer 33! It was like I wrote your post! I am a major binger. I got to the point where I felt crazy cause I was always thinking of food. It was either being mad at myself for eating too much or planning what I what eat next. I binge from anxiety- which I have had waaaaayyyy too much of over the past year. You name it, it happened to me! I actually recently started taking anit-anxiety/depression medication. That has helped a ton. But, tonight I did have a little binge. I am on board with your challenge!!:drinker:
  • pros696
    pros696 Posts: 80
    Options
    I will join ya all....if today counts that this is day 1 for me. :glasses:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • clairegl
    clairegl Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm SO in! This is THE problem area for me. I eat healthfully at meals and then at night I just want to "reward" myself (or whatever emotion I'm suppressing at the moment) with whatever form of sugar I crave. So today will be day 1 for me too. Thanks for this brilliant idea Dancer33.:tongue:
  • Godsmonty
    Godsmonty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    OK
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm in, and hoping that it starts today (Sunday) and not yesterday, because I'm already having to start over :blushing:
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    This what i need...Im IN! My last Binge was on friday...my Day one was saturday! So today is my day 2! I exercised yesterday and stayed with in my calorie range(one hundred less:noway: ) so im very pleased with myself! My 'mini goal' is to make it to my next WI next saturday! Thats seven days of no binging....

Thanks for starting this thread.....
  • dancer33
    dancer33 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For those of you who ate badly yesterday and starting today (Sunday) as your day 1...me too! I'm going to count today has my day 1. I don't know when everyone else has weigh-in's...but I think I'm going to do them Mondays, because the weekend is the most difficult for me. Good luck!
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Today is day 1 for me and I think I'll do Saturday weigh-ins. I had 185.6lbs this morning. Let's keep it up people!! :flowerforyou:
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    Today is day 1 for me and I think I'll do Saturday weigh-ins. I had 185.6lbs this morning. Let's keep it up people!! :flowerforyou:

We are close in weight! I weigh 186.2....im heading for 160 for right now! I also weigh-in on saturdays...Good luck to ya...to everybody! :smile:
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    Oh, I'm in this....This is my biggest problem .... I'm so use to munching on something all day, I've stopped the cookies, but now it's almonds, raisins, sunflower seeds, peanuts, etc.

So do, check in here on a daily bases?
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    It's 7:30pm here, so I'm counting this as Day 2. I'm done eating for the day -- I didn't binge although I still ate more than I wanted to at the BBQ including 2 servings of chocolate parfait. I'm still under my calories for the day though and stopped myself from eating the leftovers...they are safely tucked away in the fridge. Now that I've written I'm done, I'm not tempted to touch them.
  • PedalHound
    Options

We are close in weight! I weigh 186.2....im heading for 160 for right now! I also weigh-in on saturdays...Good luck to ya...to everybody! :smile:

Cool :smile: Well, we can weigh in together! You're doing SO well!!
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Alright, count me in, too! Tomorrow will have to be my day 1.

I'm planning to (soon) start a 10-14 day period of no sugar, refined flour, processed foods, or alcohol. Soon as I can figure out what I will be eating in advance. This is my plan for breaking the habit - avoiding foods that trigger binges for me for awhile. I've found in the past that after staying away from sugar for about 2 weeks, I no longer crave it.

I will also be making more of a point of journaling when I feel like bingeing in order to work through the feelings I'm trying to distract myself from with food. I think this would be a useful tool if I'd only give it a chance instead of just giving in to the food all the time.

Anyone else have any plans for working through the tough times?
  • laine23
    Options
    I'm so in as well

I agree with with u welnet, write when u feel like bingeing!! Also u can make urself pretty when u feel like bingeing (a self hairdo, manicure, pedicure, bath, make-up,...) is good.

I've bought a book with detox diets and recepies. Ur not starving urself, u just eat no refinds flours, cheese, meat, fish, alchohol, processed. U eat mainly fruits and vegetables so ur getting rid of the toxins. the diets don't last long (there is one day, two days, one week or two weeks diets). It's more about a set of mind, stop craving bad foods and everything.
    I've never tried that but I thought I'll first try the two days detox next week but it's kinda hard to find days where I know I won't be tempted to drink a glass of wine with friends or to have a pita with my bf.

Well anyway, for the challenge I'm in. I tend to crave cheese and kellog's don't know why. I mean yes of course cheddar is sooooooooooooooo good!