Do you prefer to workout at home or the gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    I like the gym for several reasons.

1. at home I am more apt to stop and not push myself

2. even tho there are the people we "love to hate" because of how magnificent they look, it's inspiration

3. you can see people there who are where you "started" from and it's a good pat on the back and keeps you focused and perhaps a stronger workout.

Those are just a few, good luck
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention one other thing...
    ickiness factor. I've read so many articles about Staph infections. Yeah I know that it's a bit paranoid of me and you can get it anywhere, but there is that increased chance. Anyway, whenever I start working out more efficiently and I need to ramp up my fitness routine to get increased results I will use a gym and get a personal trainer.

I too am a germaphobe, so I always take my own disinfectant wipes, I see lots of people to the same.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym. It has more variety and its a mile walk from home so the walk is good exercise too.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    The gym offers more than just a treadmill. I actually attend the gym for the classes. Zumba and Power Pump are great. I do some working out at home. I have several dvds and several sets of dumbbells for at home workouts.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Gym!!!

I love my gym. It's so much more motivating. You're in an environment where people train, so you train. No stopping after 10 minutes to make yourself a cup of tea or answer the phone etc.

I can't even get my head around the idea of hopping around in front of my TV doint 'zumba' or whatever. Classes are great, but I would never do this on my own at home.

After a running injury my physio gave me some remedial exercises to do and I don't even do those at home, but when I take my resistance band to the club with me I do them!!

I love the atmosphere in my gym. I know a lot of people there and basically for me it's just a lot more fun.

However if you're not a lover of gyms then it's just not for you.

Yesterday there were two young girls in the gym I hadn't seen before. I have NEVER seen such utterly bored faces before. One sat next to me while I was in the middle of a 5k rowing session. She did just over 3 minutes very slowly on no resistance and then sat there looking at herself, arranging her hair, and then she walked off and did the samething on a couple of other machines, with her friend who looked just as bored. Never more than a couple of minutes, never with any effort put in. I kind of thought "if you think it's that dull, why bother".
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The gym offers more than just a treadmill.

Very good point. Personally the stuff I love doing I couldn't really do at home even if I wanted to. I have a few classes that I love (mainly RPM, spin & Body Pump). But in the summer we do outdoor circuits, I like C2 rowing, I love my free weights and don't have that many weights at home (just a couple of kettlebells). I prefer to run outdoors anyway so I'm very rately seen on the dreadmill, but there is so much else to do.
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree that the gym is the way to go for me. I can't seem to motivate myself to do something at home whereas at the gym i feel like i am already there so i may as well work out for an hour and then go home and relax afterwards knowing all the hard work is done. Spin classes = AMAZING
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    gym's have treadmills?
    lol,. jk. i've honestly never set foot on a treadmill, lol.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Home!!! And just going outside!
    I belonged to a gym and wasted a lot of money! I rarely went. I even had a personal trainer for about a year and it was all a waste of money, in my opinion.....
    I am working out at home, and have not missed a work out and have not talked myself out of a work out either, which I thought I would never do.
    The key for me is putting on my work out clothes and "Just Do It"! I have made it a non- negotiable, if I don't workout then I have to go for at least a 40 minute walk... and living in Canada in the middle of winter I would rather drag myself through a work out than walk in the freezing cold.
    Good luck, just make sure it is something you will do.
  • crazeness
    Options
    I work out at home to Biggest loser DVD's. I feel too self conscious to go to the gym at my current weight.

I am the same. At the moment I prefer to work out at home, also with a child it is much easier than waiting for hubby to get home or trying to find someone to watch him etc.

Quite a few years ago I used to like going to the gym but I weighed less then. Hopefully when I am not so self conscious I will start going again.

At the moment the home workout suits me just fine though. :smile:
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout at home. I feel like when I go to the gym...everyone stares at everyone else...it is really awkward. Like others have said already, I prefer to sweat and grunt and groan in the privacy of my own home and where I don't have to feel like everyone is staring at how bad my love handles are...lol.
  • ifeelsqueaky
    Options
    I am happy doing either really. We used to have a cross trainer at home which was great and I used it a lot, but we moved to a smaller apartment so it's become a bit impractical. I recently joined a 24 hour gym which is perfect for me because I can't always get to the gym during 'normal' hours so if I do want to go late at night I can. The only thing I miss is classes but they might be starting some up soon anyway so it may all work out :smile:

I think it's all about personal preference and practicalities really - if you have the space for a home gym, great! If not, then the gym is good but I would say make sure you go for one that's convenient to get to otherwise you will think of excuses not to go :wink:
  • fmande
    fmande Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I need the gym. I have videos, a treadmill and many other exercise products at home, but I need to physically remove myself from the various distractions that are home. I also have a toddler, so when we go to the gym (YMCA) he has play time and I do not have to worry. I also really enjoy classes at the gym. Even if I am staring at the clock, it is often had for me to leave them early, so I end up getting a pretty decent workout.
  • squidgely
    squidgely Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If I had the money, I'd love to go to the gym again. I like the whole going off to the gym thing. But at the moment I have a 21 month old and a 7 month old and I am at home all the time with them. When they are old enough to go to playschool etc I will be going back to work and so witll afford the gym again!
    In the meantime, I am only using the Wii fit plus and going for walks and I am doing quite nicely on it. I've lost 9 pounds of the two stone of baby weight I need to lose.
    The Wii fit keeps be motivated with the graphs and calorie counters. Using a workout dvd wouldn't work for me (and never has) as I need 'keeping track of progress' part of the Wii fit to make me want to keep on.
    :)