Over the counter appetite suppressant ?

Options
I have been trying to find some info out about over the counter appetite suppressant. I am thinking it may be a good idea to use something like this to curb my apatite at least until my body gets used to eating less. Anyone take anything? What are the thoughts on this. If the health effect risk is low short term, I really want to experiment with some one of these.

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to be honest. People are going to be all blah blah blah diet pills are bad blah blah. Which is 100% true.

This isnt the 90s or early 00's anymore and in 2006 (US) they banned ephedrine/ephedra from being in diet pills as it was associated with cardiac arrest and other heart issues.

Now those same diet pills are on the market and use different ingredients since they can't use what was an appetite suppressant. They dont work. Some will say they're green tea abstract whatever works or the acai berry works, but in reality it doesn't compare to what was in diet pills before 2006 as far as appetite suppressant goes.

Where I live this main ingredient is sold online for it's intended purpose - as a bronchodilator. anything OTC now is just placebo. You basically might as well just drink coffee or drink green tea and eat fibre rich foods and lean protein.
  • cbonuz
    cbonuz Posts: 63
    Options
    Great advise, Leo....I agree!!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I take something I got at GNC called D4 thermal shock and it KILLS my appetite. It's basically just caffeine but it gives me a ton of energy and helps with cravings.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    A glass of water will do you better than any appetite suppressant. :smile:

Personally, I don't like the taste of water, but even just adding one Propel mix to a 32 oz bottle (it's intended for a 16 oz bottle) gives it enough flavor to make it enjoyable.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother splashing out on any to be honest but you could give psyllium husk a go. My body is not what you would call regular, never has been and I doubt ever ill be (not constipated tho!) so I started taking a tablespoon of psyllium husk in a glass of orange juice each morning and noticed that I wasnt hungry for several hours. The stuff swells to a gel like substance so I guess it fills you up that way, it also ups your fibre a little. try a teaspoon in a glass of water or juice half an hour before your meals...drink it quickly or it will thicken in the glass, i have tipped orange juice jelly over my face before now!

Its totally natural, keeps you regular without a laxative effect and is pretty cheap if you get it from the right place. Message me if you want to know where i get mine from...not going to advertise
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    I wouldn't bother splashing out on any to be honest but you could give psyllium husk a go. My body is not what you would call regular, never has been and I doubt ever ill be (not constipated tho!) so I started taking a tablespoon of psyllium husk in a glass of orange juice each morning and noticed that I wasnt hungry for several hours. The stuff swells to a gel like substance so I guess it fills you up that way, it also ups your fibre a little. try a teaspoon in a glass of water or juice half an hour before your meals...drink it quickly or it will thicken in the glass, i have tipped orange juice jelly over my face before now!

Its totally natural, keeps you regular without a laxative effect and is pretty cheap if you get it from the right place. Message me if you want to know where i get mine from...not going to advertise

i never really thought of metamucil as an appetite suppressant to be honest. and yeah it does get jelly once it's mixed in with water or juice. Some in the nursing home I used to work in were prescribed it and if the person couldn't take it in quick enough it turned into this jello like substance.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I actually just bought metamucil to use as an appetite suppressant. I've been using it for 4days now and it has helped curb my cravings. I live in a college dorm with no car, so the only food I can get is at the dining hall, and that is a dieters worst nightmare! Not only that but because of the fiber you'd be consuming with wither metamucil or any other psyllium husk seed brands, it will help stay fuller longer.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Get fiber and add it to everything you can, I have both psyllium and plain old bran around, I subsitute the bran straight 1:1 ratio for a portion of my flour in almost everything that calls for flour, be that pancakes or my bread. Psyllium I add to my morning yogurt, smoothies when I make em, my soups I add barley as a bulk filling item. Add more fiber and you'll not need these chemicals that supposedly do this or that for you with X Y Z side-effects, seriously by the time a commercial for a drug is over by the time they're done the list of side effects I'd rather just deal with whatever it is I'd be taking said drug to help with.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

i never really thought of metamucil as an appetite suppressant to be honest. and yeah it does get jelly once it's mixed in with water or juice. Some in the nursing home I used to work in were prescribed it and if the person couldn't take it in quick enough it turned into this jello like substance.

The difference between metamucil and psyllium is in the price. I get a huge 1kg bag for just under £13 ($20)...that will last about a year
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options

The difference between metamucil and psyllium is in the price. I get a huge 1kg bag for just under £13 ($20)...that will last about a year

ah that makes sense. It is just provided by the province to use in medical settings. I noticed it is a high price OTC
  • valischubby
    valischubby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello young lady. I have read your post and I feel your pain. But I want to share something personal with you. When you get my age and have been through so much in life your able to answer almost any question out there. First of all your question about diet pills. When I was a young girl I didn't have a nice mommy. She would constantly pick on me about my weight. No kidding my measurements were 36-24-36. If I gained a pound or two she would tell me I was getting too fat. Back in the 70's we could get speed out of a magazine. So I ate speed like it was candy. I fought like hell trying to stay skinny. Well as years went by the pills didn't work anymore. So then I switched to cocaine. I became an addict. I got pregnant (stayed off drugs of course) but when I had my baby guess who started to push me into losing weight again....my dear old mother. I was as big as a house! So I started on pills again, exercised like crazy no food. when the speed stopped working again back to cocaine. When I didn't have money for drugs I snorted any over the counter speed I could find. Needless to say my mother raised my baby. My life took a turn for the worst. I was addicted to drugs, alcohol. My life spiraled out of control.

Later in life I got fat, took prescription meds for awhile but all that is, is legal speed. It will fade. I am now a 10 year cancer survivor, way overweight and have had a long history of regret. Praise God for His grace I am still here. But I think if I had never taken that first diet pill I could have been a better mom, daughter, and person. Please rethink your decision about taking pills.
  • diana20133
    Options
    Just a handful of almonds is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin E, and magnesium. Almonds have also been shown to increase feelings of fullness in people and help with weight management. I would also suggest Garcinia Cambogia, It is made from all natural components! http://emiraclegarciniacambogia.com/best-appetite-suppressant-supplements/
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Just a handful of almonds is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamin E, and magnesium. Almonds have also been shown to increase feelings of fullness in people and help with weight management. I would also suggest Garcinia Cambogia, It is made from all natural components! http://emiraclegarciniacambogia.com/best-appetite-suppressant-supplements/
    When I wake up I have 2 big glasses of water.

other app suppressants is the mirror.
    and scale
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    When I wake up I have 2 big glasses of water.

other app suppressants is the mirror.
    and scale

+1 Water, water, water.
  • emmanuel4everjackson
    emmanuel4everjackson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    THIS WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED IN 2011 AND I AM BETTING THAT THE GIRL THAT ORIGINALLY MADE THIS POST IS NO LONGER AN ACTIVE MEMBER. JUST IN CASE... eat healthy, drink water, exercise, and stay off the drugs.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Do they even make those anymore?

I vote nay!
  • Tanafee
    Tanafee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been needing something like this, I really struggle with my appetite and it sabatoges my weight loss goals every time
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    There used to be an OTC appetite suppressant that looked like small piece of chocolate candy. It was called AYDS. Sales plummeted in the mid 1980s. I'm sure folks can guess why.

That was almost as long ago as the OP, too...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Necro thread