Paleo/Primal way of eating = finally the truth revealed?

Options
Hi all! :smile:

I've been reading the articles, books and research data about nutrition for as long as I can remember, and although I've been always pretty healthy, I could hardly keep doing one selected diet for too long. It just never made sense to do that for a lifetime, because I needed more evidence-- not only the statistics, but the results on my body and mind, the reasons why I am either starving or cannot stop eating. I wanted to feel at peace with the way of eating and know it is surely a good way to do it AND there is no need to count each calorie forever.

Throwing all the magazine articles away (since most of them are paid and biased; food and diet industry is HUGE!!!) and reading like there was no tomorrow, I finally found the way that my body was meant to be fed, and it was the primal way of eating. It took a few tries before I got onto the path, and I am still working on getting better, but my body is thankful already. :flowerforyou: There is a big reason for feeling this good-- the insulin levels are not going up and down like crazy because of the high intake of simple carbs and sugars! I feel everybody should finally hear about the way our body should be taken care of. :wink:

Before you guys get bored reading this, I want to ask if any of you have tried this lifestyle and how you feel about it.

To those who are new, here is a good start:
http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/top10-nutritional-mistakes.html
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-book/success-stories

Thank you for reading and if this message will help at least one person to live better, my mission is successful!
May your day shine bright! :happy:

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I follow Paleo MOSTLY (I have some dairy) but I'm not trying to lose any weight, just improve my fitness and overall well being. I LOVE eating this way, I feel so much better and have reduced a few % body fat. It is very easy!!
  • lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I agree that a more natural way of eating is definitely better for you, but I have to say that I could barely read the article from the first link. It was SO preachy and self righteous, I'm tempted to shun the primal diet just because of the tone of that article lol.

Good for you, though, that you have found something you love and that works for you!!! That is what we are all striving for, and it's always nice to hear that it's not completely unattainable :smile:
  • jurgitafit
    Options
    I agree that a more natural way of eating is definitely better for you, but I have to say that I could barely read the article from the first link. It was SO preachy and self righteous, I'm tempted to shun the primal diet just because of the tone of that article lol.

I can see you feeling this way. I would have felt exactly the same if I read this article a few years back, because I had different beliefs (such as, whole wheat bread instead of white, etc. (which was wrong-- it does exactly the same to our body!). But now after I have done so much research, I see this article from a new perspective. I think that lady (an author) is really upset (mad?) at the government and media for spreading all the wrong info, and she is right... we are simply being manipulated...
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This works in a very similar way to any diet that restricts the types of food you can intake, and regiments your eating habits. Of course it is going to be healthy to cut our refined sugars, factory meats, and fatty dairy. However, it is a little disconcerting for people to carry on about how this is the best diet since homo sapiens' physiology evolved with this. Somehow it is completely lost on people that the explosion of agriculture resulted in not only increased lifespans but also a surplus of energy that could be used for increased brain function. Clearly loads of refined sugar is not going to infinitely correlate with thinking power, there is definitely a balance.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine tried to follow the Paleo Diet after her husband's trainer recommended the book. She said she lost 3 pounds in a few days but gained it right back after quitting. She said it is really hard to stick to.

I have the Eat Clean Diet Recharged and have read lots of the Oxygen stuff and they do say physique is 80% nutrition - however the "eat clean" diet allows a lot more foods than Paleo and the author and models in the magazines look pretty darn good! For now I am trying to follow that and another book I have as guidelines and am working on cleaning up my diet.

My mom sees a local functional medicine doctor who promotes a gluten-free, dairy-free anti-inflammatory diet. She has had a lot of success when she follows his recommendations, not so much in weight control, but in pain control from arthritis. This local doc recommends "Ultra Metabolism" by Dr. Mark Hyman.

I personally think Eat Clean and Ultra Metabolism are easier to do so I am using them now as my guides but I might try Primal/Paleo if I don't get the results I want. I haven't yet tried giving up dairy or gluten so I will probably try that before going Paleo. Another book that is similar is the Schwarzbein Principle. I think she allows whole grains too but she promotes a "whole" food diet too.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a single "truth" to how people should eat. The human body is amazingly complex and adaptable, so unless you're a high performance athlete, there is a wide range of macros that work for most people (the split between fat/carbs/protein). Regardless of the specifics, if someone tries to eat a fairly well balanced diet with 15-30% protein (some people go a little higher), 20-30% fat and 45-60% carbs (some people go a little lower), and try to get most of those calories from foods that are in or very close to their original forms (minimize the processed foods you eat), then they can be healthy.

I don't buy into any of these restrictive food plans because while I may agree with elements in each of them, I find the combination of restrictions unnecessary and overly-extreme. For example, I agree with the Paleo ideas that eating fat (even animal fat) is not bad for you, getting enough protein, eating foods in unprocessed form and that we should avoid processed sugars but I don't agree with the idea that you should have to cut out all starches and legumes. Perhaps some people's bodies are "picky" or have food allergies and need something a little different (ex - very few/no grains, no gluten, no dairy, etc.) but most people don't need to do anything extreme to be healthy and feel good.
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a single "truth" to how people should eat. The human body is amazingly complex and adaptable, so unless you're a high performance athlete, there is a wide range of macros that work for most people (the split between fat/carbs/protein). Regardless of the specifics, if someone tries to eat a fairly well balanced diet with 15-30% protein (some people go a little higher), 20-30% fat and 45-60% carbs (some people go a little lower), and try to get most of those calories from foods that are in or very close to their original forms (minimize the processed foods you eat), then they can be healthy.

I don't buy into any of these restrictive food plans because while I may agree with elements in each of them, I find the combination of restrictions unnecessary and overly-extreme. For example, I agree with the Paleo ideas that eating fat (even animal fat) is not bad for you, getting enough protein, eating foods in unprocessed form and that we should avoid processed sugars but I don't agree with the idea that you should have to cut out all starches and legumes. Perhaps some people's bodies are "picky" or have food allergies and need something a little different (ex - very few/no grains, no gluten, no dairy, etc.) but most people don't need to do anything extreme to be healthy and feel good.

This^.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Hear hear, accountant boi. RIGHT ON
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It is the way our bodies are meant to eat...I just read what it REALLY is from your link and I must say I already do it. Its how I was raised basically. It isnt that MUCH different(more meat as we are carnivores) from a mediterranian diet....I cant call it a diet really its just a way of living in essence
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have read a couple of paleo books and they read like the author finds out they are gluten intolerant and then trying to preach to the rest of the world that they should give up starchy foods.

I want to believe this stuff but the books are so preachy they turn me off.
  • jurgitafit
    Options

Nice response, and I agree with most of what you have to say. I do think that each of us is unique and we must listen to our own bodies versus following any single diet to a letter. However, I would say that the food allergies/intolerances nowadays are more common than you'd think. Not too many people can eat any foods/combinations and feel great, so of course, the cleaner our diets are, the better. Feeling great (I mean truly great... light, energized without using any stimulants, such as caffeine or simple sugars, and having a perfect health) should be a normal state of a human being. I personally have tested many things and following 90% Paleo definitely makes a world of difference. :smile:
  • jurgitafit
    Options
    Thanks to all of you guys for sharing your opinions! :wink: I love hearing them!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I want to try this but the links you posted don't have much info on what kinds of foods to eat and what to avoid (besides packaged foods) does anyone here want to share meal ideas? There was some recipes for dinner that looked yummy, but I am looking for breakfast and lunch ideas? Any suggestions?
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I want to try this but the links you posted don't have much info on what kinds of foods to eat and what to avoid (besides packaged foods) does anyone here want to share meal ideas? There was some recipes for dinner that looked yummy, but I am looking for breakfast and lunch ideas? Any suggestions?

Depends on which book you read as to how permissive the diet is. Paleo is basically a clean eating form of Atkins at its heart.

Eat lots of fresh veges, lean meat, fish, fresh fruit and nuts. Eat organic if you can afford it. Grass fed meats are also probably better for you as they are leaner.

Avoid starchy/sugary "white food", such as bread, pasta, grains, sugar, rice, potatoes, flour, etc.

Cut back or eliminating dairy (a dash of milk in your coffee is fine - a grande latte is asking for trouble).

Cut back or eliminate legumes, or at least avoid soy products.

Try to keep your carbs under 100g or 150g a day. (cavemen ate about 80g of carbs a day)

Lift heavy things, go for long walks (2+ hours a week) and sprint occasionally. Play with your kids lots.

Do that 80% of the time and you will be fine. One, two or three meals a week outside the paleo box are ok. But as cookie monster says "white food is a sometimes food".

For a typical paleo breakfast, most people have something based on eggs, perhaps some fruit. I ate a left over steak this morning and some watermelon.

For lunch eat a massive salad and a serve of meat or fish.

For snacks munch on nuts and berries. Fruit is great. Beef jerky is an acquired taste.

For supplements, take a multi, vitamin D, fish oil and acidopholis. Perhaps have a protein shake if you want,

If you are confused where to start, read the primal blueprint by mark sissal. His approach is the most flexible. The other paleo books are a bit more hard core, but have much to offer.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

Ditto...down to the last word. :wink:
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options

Ditto...down to the last word. :wink:
    Agree, we are complex, and it is important just to find what works for you (and avoinding the gimmicks etc).

My only "problem" with what they call the Primal Diet (and I am only going on a limited knowledge here so this is only my humble opinion) is that our genes have changed in a number of ways since the "Primal times" to deal with the variety of circumstances mankind has had to encounter, so we are not really the "same" as then (there is much research on genetic mutations that have allowed populations to deal with differing food types).

Also in "primal times" humans would have eaten "all the animal" (skin excluded), and I do not see these diets (again caveat of I have not read widely on this) encouraging the eating liver, kidney, brains, stomach (even stomach contents) of animals etc etc etc, which have a range of nutrients.

I think that such distant ancestors would have eaten a wide variety of animals (from rats, mice, birds, insects, grubs, reptiles, large and small herbivores... in fact almost anything with a face they could catch as food was scarce) - modern humans do not. Our meat diet comes from a limited stock of genetically non-diverse stock.

Now this is just my opinion and thoughts (and I have a small bias being a vegan - not for moral reasons just for health reasons, based on the China Study discussing the extensive research and impact of excessive consumption of animal protein on cancer).
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    such as, whole wheat bread instead of white, etc. (which was wrong-- it does exactly the same to our body!).
    I am most curious about this. I have never heard this and wonder what you mean. I buy grain and mill it myself. It retains all the original fiber, and nutritious oils which would normally be stripped. Is there something else?
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have looked into it more and I don't think it is really that hard-basically no sugar, no flour/grains But seems mixed on yogurt-Kefir ok? and alcohol-just wine? Also, some sites have bacon, others say lean meats.
    Anyone following this diet? I like Kefir, I don't mind eggs, I just wondered if you stick to the lean meats-no bacon, and no yogurt or alcohol.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Again, I agree with this^

While I beleive there are some things we shouldn't forget about how humans survived back in time. Don't beleive for a minute things were better back in the day.

Realize we are at a point in human history, at least in developed countries, that we have made life so easy for oursleves we have to invent ways to make it harder just so we don't get soft. Which the US population as a whole is failing.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    such as, whole wheat bread instead of white, etc. (which was wrong-- it does exactly the same to our body!).
    I am most curious about this. I have never heard this and wonder what you mean. I buy grain and mill it myself. It retains all the original fiber, and nutritious oils which would normally be stripped. Is there something else?

The body still treats it the same nutritionally. It's a carb, it will be burned quickly. Just not as fast as white bread, not as fast as processed wheat, but it will still be burned first, fast, and little siety.