Paleo/Primal way of eating = finally the truth revealed?

Replies

• ok so i'm new...what is bumping???? hahaha
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    bumping is just a way to post on a thread so you can return to it-it is stored under the "community" tab under "my topics" is where all the threads you have posted in.
  • eponai
    eponai Posts: 38 Member
    bumping is just a way to post on a thread so you can return to it-it is stored under the "community" tab under "my topics" is where all the threads you have posted in.

thanks! i was wondering where to find stuff i'd been interested in! so...ba-bump!
  • speaking of bumps... bump!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    All diets, EVERY single one of them is a way to make you eat at a calorie deficit if weight loss if the goal.

Low carb diets do not count calories. My dad regularly consumes bacon, eggs, sausage fried up in butter for breakfast, a cheeseburger (without the evil bun) for lunch, and a salad filled with bacon bits and fried chicken strips and cheese and full fat dressing for dinner. Then adds vodka martinis until he passes out. This has led to a 40 lb weight loss, so far.

He is NOT counting calories. He is losing weight. But how healthy are his heart and internal organs? I shudder to think...

Don't shudder, he's your dad, have him get his blood work done, then you can have an informed shudder. And if I'm right the Primal diet does not advocate, bacon, sausage and vodka martinis, I believe they advocate clean meats.

Atkins does not advocate the 'processed' meats such as bacon or sausage either, specifically says in the Atkins book (2002 edition) that these meats should be uncured and unprocessed - same as the Primal way.

I have done both plans. I actually transitioned from Atkins to PBP as my doctor told me to stay away from grains and dairy due to symptoms of allergies to both food types. So the transition was very easy for me as I was already used to eating this way.

If one is going to partake in eating bacon (on any eating plan) we should be eating bacon that is free of nitrates and nitrites. This means buying uncured bacon. The same goes for sausage.

Personally, I make my own sausage by grinding up a pork shoulder roast and then seasoning it with sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, sage, and garlic.

My cholesterol has lowered to the point that my doctor has actually asked me to consider raising my cholesterol. My HDL is higher than the "average" and my LDL and vLDL are both very low.

I have gotten my A1C down to 5.2% and I am aiming for at least a 4.8% or lower.
  • Grokette
    Well there is a divide. The Paleo communtiy seems to be more on the clean meat side.
    The Primal community (the one i enjoy) loves to eat steak, bacon, butter, avacados, red wine,
    Obviously i dont indulge in all of these things everyday but they are the most enjoyed foods of the primal lifestyle.

I ordered the book yesterday, so in the future my comments will be better informed. Does Primal talk about bacon and sausage and other processed meats? I'm wondering if she advocates store bought mass produced or a more natural/organic/home made product?

Atkins, Primal Blue Print and even the south beach communities all advocate eating clean cuts of meats with minimal processing.

So your best bet is uncured bacon, grind your own meat and season for sausage............
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    "There is very strong evidence that this abundant load of processed and refined carbs is killing us. And, it's not coming from people writing books on Paleo. "

That, right there, is the most important part, regardless of weight loss benefits.

HERE ! HERE!
    A lot of people seem conviced that Primal is some money making diet fad? This is just logic. Why wouuld i eat something that only now scientists are learning the effects of? How can we possibly know what grains are doing to our bodies biologically in a evolutionary sense. We are the way we are today because of these "cavemen" ( if thats really the word everyone seems to gravitate to...i prefer our early ancestors) ate. They did not eat grains! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/

All the information you could possible want including scientific studies to back this sh$% up is at marksdailyapple.com. You dont have to pay for anything, I chose to buy his book because everything this guy says speaks to me. It makes sense. His books is more scientificly based and goes into great detail, its a good read.

No one is claiming this is the only way to experience health benefits
    But i do believe it is the best way too
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member

FWIW
    Based on my physical appearance, overall feeling and athletic performance, I FULLY agree it is the best way FOR ME.

I honestly don't crave breads at all. I just went on a cruise for goodness sake and I managed to keep away from all breads and gluten products, there is so much variety and it is really satisfying to eat this way.
  • Grokette

FWIW
    Based on my physical appearance, overall feeling and athletic performance, I FULLY agree it is the best way FOR ME.

I honestly don't crave breads at all. I just went on a cruise for goodness sake and I managed to keep away from all breads and gluten products, there is so much variety and it is really satisfying to eat this way.

I agree with this also!!
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Ok, my opinion.

The only thing that matters for weight loss is CALORIES EATEN and CALORIES LOST. If you want to lose weight eat less and/or exercise more. The only reason that any of these diets work, is because they restrict how much you eat.

Most studies that I have seen show that if you have certain genetic makeup, being overweight strongly increases your risk for Diabetes type 2 and a number of other metabolic problems. Losing weight is the main factor that you can control that will lower your risk. 1/3 of all people are overweight, or obese in the US, and this is a major health problem.

Next, most of these diets like, Paleo, HCG, Atkins, are not healthy. None of them have any evidence that supports them. Again, they only work, because they restrict your calorie intake. Secondly, all of them are promoted by companies/individuals who are making money of you, by trying to convince you that they have the answer that solves your weight. If they help you lose weight, use them, BUT you do not need them. Using a website like this and figure out how many calories that you eat and how many that you lose, is all you need and can save you a lot of money and less health risk by following these diets.

Reading through some post and websites, it seems to me that these diets start with a tiny fact, and then they build this pyramid on that. Facts, like paleo people eat only meat, babies only drink milk, pregnant woman have hormones, are used and distorted. Like this: babies drink milk with lots of cholesterol and saturated fat, thus this is good and essential for babies, thus eating lots of saturated fat and cholesterol is good for all of us, etc. Let me make two up: some people drawn in water, hence too much water kills, hence any water will kill you, thus do not drink any water. Most cats are not overweight, hence drinking cat pee will make you lose weight and gain a normal weight.

Note that they all argue they have it figured out and try to convince you that they have the only key fact that’s important. However, the bottom line is test it, and none of them have ever been tested. Again, they restrict eating, and if this restricts calorie intake you will lose weight, nothing magical about it. And they are promoted, because people/companies make money of you by doing this.

My opinion, eat in moderation, control your weight and ignore all this blabber. There are some things that we do have good evidence for. Trans fat are bad, avoid them. Fiber is good, hence any way you get more fiber, like whole foods, fruits and vegetables is good for you. Too much saturated fat is not healthy, also for people with a normal weight. Eat saturated fat them in moderation, or avoid them. Fish oil is good for your health, eat more fish. But research these facts yourself from reputable sources, not websites or posts her by people/companies that are making money of you. Go to the USDA, Cancer society, Diebetis society, Mayo clinic, etc. And I am impressed with Wikipedia, almost all their information is a good summary of each topic.

Some people who follow these diets seem like reborn religious converts to me. It does not matter what you say their mind is made up, and they are fervent in trying to convert you to their faith/diet. Often they claim that there is a government/industry/Monsanto conspiracy out there that has brainwashed all of us, and that they have found a leader/diet that has lead them out of this wilderness. Well if it helps them lose weight, good for them, but remember you do not need this. CALORIES IN versus CALORIES OUT, eat less or exercise more that’s the only thing that matters for weight loss.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    You mean drinking cat pee doesn't work??

Oh, S&%$/!! do I feel stupid now.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Ok, my opinion.

The only thing that matters for weight loss is CALORIES EATEN and CALORIES LOST. If you want to lose weight eat less and/or exercise more. The only reason that any of these diets work, is because they restrict how much you eat.

What bad advice. Sure you can lose weight eating twinky's but you'll die of malnutrition. And the Paleo being unhealthy comment is absurd. When you put a Paleo diet up against the Food Pyramid it trounces it in nutritional value, usually by many factors of the RDA. And you might want to look at all the research sited in Paleo books. And it's real funny that Paleo says exactly what all the mainstream thought on many issues is backtracking to. All the bad that started with Ansel Keys is starting to be unraveled.

A calorie is a calorie is absurd. It's purely a measure of energy. For good health you need the most nutrition per calorie possible.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    You mean drinking cat pee doesn't work??

Oh, S&%$/!! do I feel stupid now.

Hysterical! (Bumping for later).
  • kdiamond
    Ok, my opinion.

What bad advice. Sure you can lose weight eating twinky's but you'll die of malnutrition. And the Paleo being unhealthy comment is absurd. When you put a Paleo diet up against the Food Pyramid it trounces it in nutritional value, usually by many factors of the RDA. And you might want to look at all the research sited in Paleo books. And it's real funny that Paleo says exactly what all the mainstream thought on many issues is backtracking to. All the bad that started with Ansel Keys is starting to be unraveled.

A calorie is a calorie is absurd. It's purely a measure of energy. For good health you need the most nutrition per calorie possible.

Agreed again.

Yes, for weight LOSS it is calories in vs calories out. That is true. Eventually though, nutrition becomes necessary to build muscle, provide endurance, etc. to get to the next level. The term skinny fat is around for a reason!

Paleo is not a diet nor a fad. It is a way of healthy eating. It doesn't reduce calories by leaving food groups out, it is not necessary to count calories because it isn't about "losing weight", it is about keeping a healthy lifestyle.

So yes, comparing it to fad diet is pretty absurd. I can't imagine what part about eating lean meats, nuts, seeds, oils, fruits and vegetables seems "faddish".

I'm not here to preach though. I know what works for me, and if asked my opinion or advice, I'd gladly offer this way of eating to anyone. My husband loves eating this way too, and he was a hard core bread junkie in the past. He claims to look and feel so much better now. We still eat pizza on that rare occasion, but even him ("Mr. Italian" who grew up on pasta) will agree he feels terrible after. So, believe me or not, and I don't need to brag, because I know I look damn fine and I owe it to my diet! ;)
  • Azdak
    Ok, my opinion.

The point that the poster was trying to make it that there are many ways of achieving that end. And that those who slavishly promote a single dietary "concept", regardless of the name, are more involved with ideology than science, regardless of how much pseudo-science they use to support the ideology.

The promoters of "one true faith" diets use the exact same emotional approach and the exact same arguments every time. From the hints of a "conspiracy" by the "establishment" to the idea that the "true faith" contains a "unique solution" heretofore unrealized by the dumb masses, the script is as predictable as it is tedious.

I mean just look at the title of the this topic: "finally the truth revealed?" . Kinda proves my point.

I am old enough that I have seen this stuff numerous times--and it always follows the EXACT same pattern. (Although I must admit, "Paleo" has a nice manly ring to it).

So anyone who thinks it "works" for them should enjoy it. But those who think it's a "true faith" will have to take a number.....
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    "The promoters of "one true faith" diets use the exact same emotional approach and the exact same arguments every time. From the hints of a "conspiracy" by the "establishment" to the idea that the "true faith" contains a "unique solution" heretofore unrealized by the dumb masses, the script is as predictable as it is tedious."

Almost like,,,,,,,,,, well almost like your blind faith in the USDA?
  • kdiamond
    I think our arguments are arbitrary here - and the naysayers are right - it isn't the only "truth revealed" - and you're right, one piece of bread isn't going to make us all drop dead...the TRUTH is we all need to take inventory on what we put into our bodies and make the BEST decisions we can. Once I did that everything else fell into place.
  • Azdak
    "The promoters of "one true faith" diets use the exact same emotional approach and the exact same arguments every time. From the hints of a "conspiracy" by the "establishment" to the idea that the "true faith" contains a "unique solution" heretofore unrealized by the dumb masses, the script is as predictable as it is tedious."

Almost like,,,,,,,,,, well almost like your blind faith in the USDA?

Feel free to criticize all you want, but you should respond to what I said, not make things up.
  • Grokette
    Ok, my opinion.

Very well stated.

I wish people would do some reading and research besides relying on what the government recommends. Everyone doing what the Government recommends has gotten this nation fat, unhealthy and malnourished.

Given the fact that corn, wheat and HFCS is in practically eVERYTHING you would think people would stop and think about what the USDA and other organizations are saying before judging an alternative eating plan that does provide those of us that think more open mindedly.

There are millions of people in this country and a bunch of people on this site that are overweight, yet malnourished.
This discussion has been closed.