Options

Replies

• Fit2_T
    Fit2_T Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • brentoski
    Options
    I think the great thing about this book is the author's approach to experimentation. If you want yogurt, then have yogurt, track it, see if you can determine if it affected you and learn from it.

I will be implementing the AGG and PAGG supplements in the next week, but one step at a time. I also like snacking on cinnamon covered almonds to keep my glucose levels steady throughout the day. I don't consider this a diet anymore, just a good healthy way to live the rest of my life.

I think I typically take in at least 5000 calories on my day off but any additional weight taken on is gone within 48 hours.
  • devuchka
    Options
    circadianswing, great progress. good motivation, thanks for sharing! :)

i am nearly down yet another hole in my belt that i wear to work sometimes. if i weren't wearing wool pants, i would be. that is down two notches in under two weeks...yea!
  • sbracken
    Options
    Snacks.....Edamame is always a good go-to snack for me. I'll cook up a bag at a time and then keep the leftovers in the fridge to heat up when needed. I also keep a container of almonds (roasted with sea salt) in my desk drawer for those days where I just need to calm the stomach grumbling. I'll take out 10 at a time and eat them and that usually does the trick. Otherwise, I'll just refill my water glass and that usually does the trick too. Otherwise I'm not a big "snacker". I usually have a pretty good size salad (romaine and spinach) at lunch so that keeps me pretty full along with whatever protein/legume I have. I've also noticed that by breaking up my lunch into 2 meals (one at about 11:30 and the other around 3) I can cruize thru the day easier. For that 3:00 meal I usually have tuna, chicken and hummus, or something that doesn't require heating and I can eat pretty quick at my desk. Otherwise I hate those "she's eating again....." looks that people around here have.

brentoski, I agree! That is the best thing about this plan....the ability to experiment. I think that makes this plan so much easier to work into your current lifestyle. For instance.....I'm not one to spring out of bed in the morning and whip up some eggs or something. I'm much more the flying-out-the-door, running late, grab-a-protein-shake type person. So, on days I go into the office, I do just that. I just try to get the one that has very low if any sugar.

circadianswing, I agree.....no "ice" here either!!!! The wind chill was 3 below this morning!!!! Although I do turn the heat down to 65 at night, so it's a bit chilly all night long. I don't mind a cold shower in the middle of summer on a scorching hot day, but not when it's 0 outside.
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am on day one and I am wondering if its possible to eat too many "slow carbs"? I haven't had lunch yet (I had breakfast and a midmorning snack/first lunch) and I have already had a cup of legumes is this too much? I wish I had some numbers that I am suppose to follow, I want to get this right and make it work for me. How much protein? How many slow carbs? How many veggies? Am I making this more complicated than it is?
  • sbracken
    Options
    Ok so I am on day one and I am wondering if its possible to eat too many "slow carbs"? I haven't had lunch yet (I had breakfast and a midmorning snack/first lunch) and I have already had a cup of legumes is this too much? I wish I had some numbers that I am suppose to follow, I want to get this right and make it work for me. How much protein? How many slow carbs? How many veggies? Am I making this more complicated than it is?

Yep, too complicated. Protein/Veggie/Legume at every meal. Don't worry about calories. At least 30g protein at breakfast.
  • devuchka
    Options
    At least 30g protein at breakfast.

Wow, that's a lot of protein. Ok, I gotta up the ante here...

edamame sounds like a good snack. and splitting lunch into two. i did this a while back & it worked really well. i think i will start doing it again. thanks for the tips!
  • clb51
    clb51 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love the program but I struggle with eating so soon after I wake up. I am used to eating mid-morning but after 1 week on the diet the scale is finally starting to go down! I have upped my protein this morning and I am curious to see how my day goes.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! People...diets do NOT work. It is as simple as that. You must change your style of living, and be healthy. Worrying about greek yogurt vs. cottage cheese, or water vs. tea is silly at best. Our bodies are amazing machines, and they don't need gimmicks to make them fluorish. The only 'diet' any of us needs is to eat clean and work hard. That's my book, the Eat Clean - Work Hard 'diet'. That's all there is in my book.

Those basic tenents, with a bit of explanation are all you need. Eat good foods that our bodies can utilize in an amount that balances with our activity. But, that activity has to be there. Covert Bailey was one of the best ever in his book 'fit or fat' concering these topics. Read it.

We all grasp at "plans" that fit, and gimmicks, but can you really expect to eat copious amounts of beans the rest of your life? Seriously - no one in your house can enjoy the after effects of that. Grilled meat diets? C'mon. If you stick with the basics long term, work out, and limit your calories to be less than what you burned and intake quality foods...you will get fit. Please, please, please stop the madness! Low-carb doesn't work long-term...if it did, there'd be about a billion fit people with Atkins shirts on from 15 years ago...but those people are either weight yo-yo's or fat again.

Please, for your sanity and health, stop buying 'diet' books, and use your heads on this one.
  • mcferg
    mcferg Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! People...diets do NOT work. It is as simple as that. You must change your style of living, and be healthy. Worrying about greek yogurt vs. cottage cheese, or water vs. tea is silly at best. Our bodies are amazing machines, and they don't need gimmicks to make them fluorish. The only 'diet' any of us needs is to eat clean and work hard. That's my book, the Eat Clean - Work Hard 'diet'. That's all there is in my book.

Those basic tenents, with a bit of explanation are all you need. Eat good foods that our bodies can utilize in an amount that balances with our activity. But, that activity has to be there. Covert Bailey was one of the best ever in his book 'fit or fat' concering these topics. Read it.

We all grasp at "plans" that fit, and gimmicks, but can you really expect to eat copious amounts of beans the rest of your life? Seriously - no one in your house can enjoy the after effects of that. Grilled meat diets? C'mon. If you stick with the basics long term, work out, and limit your calories to be less than what you burned and intake quality foods...you will get fit. Please, please, please stop the madness! Low-carb doesn't work long-term...if it did, there'd be about a billion fit people with Atkins shirts on from 15 years ago...but those people are either weight yo-yo's or fat again.

Please, for your sanity and health, stop buying 'diet' books, and use your heads on this one.

This post implies that those of us who have read the 4-hour body are ignorant about nutrition and fitness. You're assuming that anyone who reads a diet book is mindlessly hoping for some "magic bullet" that will make fitness and weight loss easy. That's not the case.

Many people here, myself included, are looking for new information and such that we can use to put together a healthy eating/living system. For me, the idea of eating legumes at every meal is a great idea. I love beans, and, yes, I enjoy eating them 3-4 times per day. I don't eat "copious amounts" of them, and I suffer no ill-effects. The bottom line is that beans provide additional fiber and protein source while also providing healthy carbs, which allow me to fuel my exercise without filling myself up with processed and refined foods. In fact, I'd suggest that the fact that you chose the "beans" aspect of this diet as a failing point indicates that your knowledge of nutrition is suspect.

The bottom line is that everyone's body is different. You clearly have had success with diet and fitness, and also may not have some of the food-related emotional issues others on this board have (though the arrogant and insensitive nature of your post indicates that you have other emotional issues). For many of us, any "book" diet we try gives us another example of how we feel and how our body reacts when we eat a certain way. Over time, we can take the things that make us feel beat and include them in our lifelong healthy eating plan.

Anyway, since you've clearly mastered health and fitness through the sheer strength of your almighty willpower, you might want to check out the Dale Carnegie classic, "How to Win Friends and Influence People", as you've clearly got a ways to go in that department ;)
  • clb51
    clb51 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well said...mcferg
  • sbracken
    Options
    I couldn't agree more mcferg!!!!! Very well put!!!
  • walkers345
    walkers345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I come to this thread for positive reinforcement of a healthy lifestyle. No one here is looking for a magic bullet. We are all old enough and I think intelligent enough to know that that is ridiculous. This thread is one of tolerance and inspiration. A lifestyle of lower carbs, no refined foods, with protein, beans and vegetables seems pretty darn clean to me. I love to exercise and it has been part of my life since I was 6 years old. I am baffled as to why you posted. Please go find a thread where people are doing a twinkie diet or a tapeworm or something. This is a method, a lifestyle--a way of eating. If you want to use the word diet, you can, we all eat a diet of something.

To roam the web castigating people in these such forums is misplaced. We wish you well and congratulate you for your healthy lifestyle. Maybe you could post some positive remarks such as exercise you enjoy or training techniques. If not, please repectfully decline to comment in this thread. Good luck.

Stephanie
  • circadianswing
    circadianswing Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    well said Stephanie and mcferg. The personal motivations and goals are similar in this forum, and we can all agree there are many roads that can be taken on a journey like this. magic pills/bullets, and other sorts of condescending remarks are for those who require another forum, likely littered with ads from pfizer and Merk's latest antidepressants. after 6 weeks, if I had lost no weight, I have discovered the meaning of whole foods versus processed. I have unlocked a new way to cook, and enjoy my food, inside my home, out on the town, and at the store. If that's a fad or the latest marketing gimmick, so be it. I'm comfortable with what I've learned, and treat it with a little more respect than that of a dexatrim tablet, or a trip to a plastic surgeon.

Good luck to my teammates who are with me on this road, and on this journey now.
  • devuchka
    Options
    well-said, everyone.

so. getting the thread back on-track... ;)

i am taking your advice, sbracken, and eating more meals. yesterday i had a snacking problem due to hunger, so today i am eating a whole can of black-eyed peas (mmmmmm) and some carrots at 11:30. then i will eat later on, something else. after eating less, or rather more of less types of food, my body is beginning to feel clean & streamlined, after less than two weeks of eating this plan.

my meal costs have gone from $10 for lunch at au bon pain - to $1 for a can of beans & some veggies.

my hourglass shape is beginning to return, my energy is up, and i am more emotionally stable as my blood sugar is not swinging all over the place.

to keep organic raw food in my diet, i am eating salads at night.

i am contemplating getting some nutritional tests done using the services Tim recommended in 4HB. vitamin d, etc. anyone done this yet?
  • sbracken
    Options
    I picked up some Calcium and Vit D when I got my new scripts filled today. My prenatal vitamin gives me 100% of most things, but not Vit D, so I figured it couldn't hurt to get some more in.

I'm way behind on meals and such today since I had a doctor appt this morning. I grabbed lunch right when I got home and I'll eat again in another hour or two. I've also got a killer head cold kicking today, so I think my next meal is going to involve some chicken broth to help clear my head....since I'm running on DayQuil right now.
  • mcferg
    Options
    Canned Lentils, Baby!

Ferris talks a lot about canned lentils in his book. I know that lentils are dirt cheap, but my efforts to prepare them have resulted in mush. I'm not necessarily done experimenting, but I want canned lentils for convenience. I expect to pay more for canned (largely due to higher shipping and packaging costs), but I'm not willing to pay much more than I pay for other beans. I love lentils, and I think they might be a better choice than others, but I'm on a budget here. I want to be able to have lentils whenever, wherever, and canned is the easiest way to get to that point.

Long story short: Amazon grocery carries them. Since I have an Amazon "Prime" membership, I also get 2-day shipping for free. As an added bonus, I won't have to play California sales tax. The Organic lentils are $20.49 for a 12 pack, which is $1.71 per can, which is higher than the ~$0.99 I pay for most beans, though they are usually not organic.

Now, I can literally keep meals in my desk at work. I can get these, canned chicken and canned vegetables. I'm not a huge fan of canned chicken, and I'll bring leftovers from work when I can, but I can get it down, and it allows me to leave foods at the office that I can eat when I just wanna get out the door without preparing lunch.

On the subject of canned chicken - does anyone have any other room-temperature-safe foods that might work? Please don't say canned tuna...grosses me out. There's always beef jerky, but that's super-high sodium and it's difficult to eat enough of it to meet my protein goals.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs? Not sure how long though? not much else I can think of. You know you want the tuna :P I have a stash of about 20 cans at my office hehe
  • mcferg
    Options
    hard boiled eggs? Not sure how long though? not much else I can think of. You know you want the tuna :P I have a stash of about 20 cans at my office hehe

Yeah, I don't think eggs can be stored at room temperature. I do keep them in the fridge at home and take them for breakfast sometimes. I love fish, and, to me, canned tuna tastes like rancid fish. It's one of the very few mainstream foods I literally can't get myself to eat.

I can keep canned chili, which I actually don't mind the taste of - I pour it over veggies, but it's not the kind of thing I want to eat a lot of - not something I consider particularly healthy.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    tried canned salmon?