Eggs - what's so bad about a whole egg??

Options

Replies

• XxJessdNxX
    Options
    I eat at least 68 eggs a week so I don't really fall into that category .. not to mention the calories I'd be taking in LOL.

And yes, for those wondering, I am serious when I say 68 eggs a week.

4 in the AM and 6 in the PM M-F (10 x 5 =50)
    14 on Saturday (14)
    and a minimum of 4 on Sunday (4)

Doesn't that have some undesirable side effects?! :tongue:

I am with most of the posters, the yolk is the best bit - it tastes yummy and fills you up. I can't see the point of having things that are better for you if they don't taste of anything. But that's just me.

I like the whites when they are mixed with copious amounts of sugar and baked into meringues
  • facerme
    Options
    you must smell bad !!
  • tarac93
    Options
    I like to make breakfast burritos, I use 1 egg and a serving of the egg whites put some Mrs Dash seasoning in it cook with mushrooms and spinach and i will use the light flatbread with a sprinkle of cheese and fresh pico de gallo. It's delicious and keeps you full for hours.
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    you must smell bad !!

Nope. Different things affect people in different ways.

I do agree with all the posters who have said that the whole egg taste better .. I love the yolk, but I am actually now used to the egg whites so it's every bit as good to me.

I used to use egg beaters but there are other things in it as opposed to just eggs .. so I switched to 100% egg whites and that is the only ingredient.
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    everything in moderation, it used to be thought that you should not eat eggs because of the cholesterol. but some people even on a restrictive diet still have high cholesterol. its genetic, steve redgrave the olympic gold medal winer has very high cholesterol and i cant see me ever being that fit.
  • simplywriting
    Options
    I'm learning to eat a "cleaner" way, so regular whole eggs are what I use. I do sometimes remove the yolk for cooking and just use an extra egg white, and have had nothing turn out bad, but yes, I would assume it is the calories. I build it into my day though. I often have an egg and bean burrito for breakfast because I found that when I eat the eggs and beans together I am full for HOURS and when I say hours, I had one at 8am the other day and I felt full, until 2:30pm and then it was just a very mild hunger. SO awesome!!
    So the calories are not a huge deal, and you can add something really tiny (string cheese, laughing cow cheese or whatever) as a mid day snack instead of eating a huge lunch.
    :)
    If you are watching cholesterol though, this would not be something you would want to do more than once or twice a week or substitute with the egg beaters instead.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    The cholesterol thing is out the door. It is accepted in the scientific community that eggs have no contribution to cholesterol levels.
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    i only by free range eggs though, i wont buy battery eggs its cruel for the few pence more id rather pay the difference
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says as long as you don't have a cholesterol problem, eat the whole egg.

True!!! I work for a Physician and he says as long as you don't have a current problem with your cholesterol eating the whole egg is fine. I have 2 eggs every morning and I sometimes eat one whole and one just the white but most mornings it's just the white.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of egg white, but I will eat them as part of the whole egg. I only eat maybe 1 egg a week, my cholesterol is high, it is not related to my one egg a week. The cholesterol in food has very little to do with your cholesterol levels. Your liver makes the bulk of the cholesterol in your blood.

I also buy free range, vegetarian eggs (well, eggs from vegetarian chickens), if I buy from the grocery store. I am sure they still eat bugs, but, that is their natural diet, so I am okay with it. Most times I buy local yard eggs from my local farmers market.

Edit: My cholesterol is high due to terrible genetics. My mom is 50, and is on 2 different meds for her cholesterol :cry:
  • GinaJ2006
    Options
    Egg yolks contain vitamins and minerals, so eating whole eggs in moderation is healthy. And besides, the yolk is the yummy part!

I second that! The yolk is my favourite. If I'm having a fried egg, I'll cut the yolk out and have that and leave most of the white behind. I know it's good for me but it just isn't delicious. Nothing beats toast or sausages dunked in egg yolk. Mmmms!

You're making my mouth water here! I love to dip my sausage in the yolk too. I cut up the whites and mix the yolk all over it and it makes the whites a little better
  • meredith414
    Options
    I would rather not eat eggs than eat only egg whites. All the flavor is in the yolk. Yes, so is all the calories and cholesterol but who cares? 2 eggs is only about 150 calories and if you're eating healthy the rest of the day you shouldn't really worry about the cholesterol.
  • mobosco
    mobosco Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole egg omelets w/avacado almost every morning for breakfast and I have not had any cholesterol problems. I prefer the "real" thing!!:happy:
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    2 eggs = 14g fat, 12g protein.
    slice of whole wheat bread = 1g fat, 3g protein
    1tbsp peanut butter = 7g fat, 4g protein
    1 tbsp jam = only carb

total breakfast: 22g fat, 19g protein

That is too much fat for breakfast. If I take out an egg and add 3 egg whites I end up with a toal breakfast of 15g fat and 25g protein at about 360 calories. Even that is still high in fat, but i don`t think i actually use a whole tablespoon of pb.

In summary. Eggs aren`t bad, but they pack a significant amount of fat. The whites are fat free and have a bunch of protein.
  • terryhuff
    Options
    Not sure if this will help or even if it answers your question but the other day on good morning america or one of those they are now saying two whites and one yolk... i dont know it all changes so much! I only eat egg whites but thats just me and only bc i like it better like that!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp jam = only carb

That is too much fat for breakfast. If I take out an egg and add 3 egg whites I end up with a toal breakfast of 15g fat and 25g protein at about 360 calories. Even that is still high in fat, but i don`t think i actually use a whole tablespoon of pb.

In summary. Eggs aren`t bad, but they pack a significant amount of fat. The whites are fat free and have a bunch of protein.

Not all eggs are created equal...

Natures Harvest, 100 mg Omega 3, 70 cals, 4g of fat
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole egg omelets w/avacado almost every morning for breakfast and I have not had any cholesterol problems. I prefer the "real" thing!!:happy:

My standard Breakfast when we go out to eat in the morning (which is OFTEN!) is a two egg omelet with Avocado & Spinach, plus a small bowl of fresh fruit. So far I have not seen any adverse effects from eating the whole egg.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the whites by themselves, but I'll eat them with the yolk if I'm making a fried egg. Egg 'fried' (meaning a spray of pam) topped with a slice of american cheese on a sandwich thin = yummy breakfast.

that and tossing part of the egg is wasteful.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp jam = only carb

you must be buying duck eggs or something, the average large chicken egg has 4g of fat that bring you to 16g total 18 once you count the cooking fat.

there are some recent studies that show increasing dietary cholesterol along with more regular exercise can lower blood cholesterol.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol, probably. Egg yolks have both good and bad cholesterol. Plus the calories.
    1 egg = 80 calories
    2 egg whites = 34

For those counting calories, it's quite a worthy swap.

Cholesterol from natural foods is not "bad" for any one of us. The more you stay away from cholesterol containing foods, the more your body has to make in the liver, therefore you run the risk of having high cholesterol from your own body.

The more cholesterol containing foods you eat, the less the body has to make, therefore the risk of having high cholesterol is very minimal in the vast majority of us.

And I am sooo glad that with my eating plan I don't have to count calories. I will not sacrifice taste and quality of a food item in the name of counting calories.

Most of these people I see cutting the egg yolks out are cutting well needed fats in their diets.