Stop mucking up our food database!

Options

Replies

• Tash_Bgosh
    Tash_Bgosh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree. it makes it hard for me to log my meals which is why i havent been doing it as often as I should. As much as I love this site I'm not sure I trust it to help me lose wieght by counting calories if I'm not sure the calories logged are accurate.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute. If I add something to My Foods, and it then populates to the database, does that mean that people can edit it and mess up my entry?

For example, I can use the meal builder option on the website for places like Panera and Red Robin and create a custom tailored meal of exactly what I plan on ordering. I enter this into My Foods to be entered for that meal (I.e. Bacon Turkey Bravo with no sauce or BLTA Sandwich with no mayo and no fries) and also any future times I may have to go to those restaurants with friends.

Does what this thread is saying mean that someone else can then go in and edit those entries because they think they're wrong or don't like what it says?

As long as you have chosen the ' do not share with MFP pals ' then I don't think it can be changed... if you have said for it to be shared on the MFP database then yes it can be changed... if it's specific to you then you need to not share with the MFP database!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    Hells to the yes!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for bringing this up! I was thinking the same thing yesterday. It takes me forever to find something that I know is in the system because of the all of the "special additions" that should NOT be shared.

If I put in a recipe, it's for me. I don't share it.

I totally agree. But I thought when you put in my foods it added to the database. I'm glad if it doesn't. I have added a bunch of things to the my food section on my husbands page b/c I don't want to retype the recipies I just made for my page. We really shuold be able to share our recipies with our friends. This is espically helpful when people in the same household are using teh site.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am seeing this as well and I just started tracking my food two days ago. I don't get why there are like 5 different entries for strawberries. I would like to think that I am eating: Fruit-Strawberries, but I picked them up at a local farmers market, so I might actually be eating Generic-Strawberries.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i have even had to add to my food list a snickers bar with the correct calories, i dont know where these people are getting low calorie snickers from but if the sold them they would advertise them

I've had to correct numerous entries, with the box sitting next to me showing thigns are wrong, when I do, I put a notation of whenI corrected it. . but it truly is amazing the differences from 'like' items.. .
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I agree! Nothing more annoying than to see like 10 listings and almost every one of them with wrong info. It makes me question if people can read labels. Not only that, is it really that difficult to enter in just a few more items so it's a COMPLETE listing? I understand people aren't tracking all the same things, but a complete and CORRECT entry is nice...just rare to find. UGH!!!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    But I thought when you put in my foods it added to the database.

When you use the "Create Food" button, at the bottom of the form is an option:
    Help us grow our food database!
    Yes, let other MyFitnessPal members use this food

If you click that box, it goes into the shared database. If you don't, it is only available to you.

Glad to see my rant rings true with many others. Was hoping I was not alone!

Ultimately it is a trade off for functionality. Would be much fewer items in the database if it wasn't shared. Just wish people were a bit more responsible with the power in which they have been invested.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    But I thought when you put in my foods it added to the database.

When you use the "Create Food" button, at the bottom of the form is an option:
    Help us grow our food database!
    Yes, let other MyFitnessPal members use this food

If you click that box, it goes into the shared database. If you don't, it is only available to you.

Glad to see my rant rings true with many others. Was hoping I was not alone!

Ultimately it is a trade off for functionality. Would be much fewer items in the database if it wasn't shared. Just wish people were a bit more responsible with the power in which they have been invested.

That option doesn't appear on the app. You just enter everything and press Save. No clue at all what the default setting is to whether it appears in the database or not.

I'm rarely on a computer unless I'm at work so even though I knew MFP had a connected website I didn't really look around it until last month when I was Googling questions and it led me to this message board via one of the results. (I'd never known this board existed until then). So I really know nothing about options available or not outside of the app itself, and now I'm concerned about my entries.

As far as whatever's already in the database, I've never added something to my log without comparin it down the exact nutritional label in front of me or the actual restart info directly from their site, so I'm not too concerned with having gotten incorrect entries over the last year. And if a fruit or veggie entry ever looked weird, I'd always verify it with google searches or other nutritional databases. Sometimes being a little OCD about stuff has it's advantages. lol

But, if my entries have been making it to the database for this last year, I apologize. Though, I do always put exactly why/how it's different from the generic restaurant meal (I.e. No mayo, no croutons, etc)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear!!!

I get really annoyed when I see entries and all that's in there is the calorie count and maybe fat content. Well, people, just because YOU don't care how much sugar or fiber or sodium is in something, doesn't mean everyone is that way. Please enter the ENTIRE nutrition content so other people can benefit from it, otherwise DON'T ADD IT TO THE DATABASE PLEEEEEEEEASE!
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree! I read a post on here the other day. Someone had order a sandwhich at a resteraunt not realizing the entry on MFP was one that the person made for themselves. She thought she was eating 550 calories and later found out it was 1440. I wish it could be more controlled!

That would be a nightmare. I always double-check the calories posted on MFP against other calorie sites or I just go directly to a food company's site to check their nutritional facts.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I SO agree after I just spent way too much time putting my lunch in here (from a national chain restaurant that does NOT have varying nutrition information!) I do understand (but find annoying) that there are regional differences in products and in nutrition information from grocery stores, etc. What I don't understand are the people who only put half the nutrition information in! I found entries with no sodium (which is clearly on the nutrition information from the restaurant's web page).

Personally, I don't like it when people do custom orders and share them either (i.e., McDonald's Big Mac, 1/2 bun, no cheese, double pickles). I think it is easier on everyone to put in the generic entry and then add/subtract what you did to change it instead of putting in yet another database entry.

So that custom order would be
    McDonald's Big Mac
    - 1/2 bun
    - cheese
    + pickles

Assuming McD's has that info available of course, I just picked that out of the air.

Another thing I have discovered is that you can edit the nutrition information, but I don't think that changes the information overall. I *think* that is just for you.

If someone wants to check that... search for Chili's Whole Wheat bun. There was an entry that said 90 calories that I changed to 360 (from their website information) and added other information on. Wondering now if that would change for everyone or if it is just adjusted in mine now?
  • icandoityesican
    Options
    true lol
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I SO agree after I just spent way too much time putting my lunch in here (from a national chain restaurant that does NOT have varying nutrition information!) I do understand (but find annoying) that there are regional differences in products and in nutrition information from grocery stores, etc. What I don't understand are the people who only put half the nutrition information in! I found entries with no sodium (which is clearly on the nutrition information from the restaurant's web page).

Personally, I don't like it when people do custom orders and share them either (i.e., McDonald's Big Mac, 1/2 bun, no cheese, double pickles). I think it is easier on everyone to put in the generic entry and then add/subtract what you did to change it instead of putting in yet another database entry.

So that custom order would be
    McDonald's Big Mac
    - 1/2 bun
    - cheese
    + pickles

Assuming McD's has that info available of course, I just picked that out of the air.

Another thing I have discovered is that you can edit the nutrition information, but I don't think that changes the information overall. I *think* that is just for you.

If someone wants to check that... search for Chili's Whole Wheat bun. There was an entry that said 90 calories that I changed to 360 (from their website information) and added other information on. Wondering now if that would change for everyone or if it is just adjusted in mine now?

What the What?!?!? Did you just say that a whole wheat bun from Chili's is 360 calories?
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options

What the What?!?!? Did you just say that a whole wheat bun from Chili's is 360 calories?
    I looked it up because that seemed like a lot and that is what it says on the website.
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Options
    I am seeing this as well and I just started tracking my food two days ago. I don't get why there are like 5 different entries for strawberries. I would like to think that I am eating: Fruit-Strawberries, but I picked them up at a local farmers market, so I might actually be eating Generic-Strawberries.

HAHAHA! I was just thinking the same thing.

I love the "My foods" and "My recipes" section. IMHO, sharing a food with the database when it doesn't exist (e.g., a new product) is fine. Sharing someone's personal version of a food (see above comments) - totally unnecessary.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    So which are the entries that Mike put in when he started the website-with or without the asterisk?
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    bump...everyone needs to read this.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options

I looked it up because that seemed like a lot and that is what it says on the website.

Yes... it is. Sorry to break the bad news.

The *really* bad news is that they butter their buns and I am sure that 360 calories doesn't include the butter!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Well, I checked with the second account I had made to show my sister how to use MFP and none of my My Foods items came up. So it seems like the iPhone app default is not to share.

But, without going back and re-reading the whole thread, I thought I saw people mention using the entries with an * next to them because those were the ones that Mike entered. But according to the footnote when I searched it said that those were the ones that had been entered by other MFP users. (I'd never seen those asterisks before so I was checking that out too.)