beginner Half-Marathon training plan, starts today

Options

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

sounds like everyone's going great and hitting all the targets! I didn't have time for a proper run yesterday (i.e. 3 miles) so was going to skip it, but then I ended up just doing 2 miles at lunch and really pushing myself. Felt really good about that afterwards. Rest day today and then heading out for a long run in the weekend sometime.

I think I might shift the 'strengthen' part of Thursday's plan to Fridays, as I usually go rock climbing on Fridays so most of the time that's already sorted!
    that sounds like a good plan. I will probably rest Friday, workout at home Saturday and then long run Sunday will have to be indoors because there is snow and cold in the forecast. I have to do that before the Superbowl party, where I am trying to be reasonable in my eating/drinking choices!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Amy,

I have a group of people training to walk the half marathon in Dallas in March. I am following the Hal Higdon's 12 week training and it's going well so far! Good luck to you!

Count me in for the training, I'll start Monday. If it's cool I'd love to walk with your group.
  • amysj303
    Options
    Week 2 day 4 was completed yesterday, at least the run, I did skip the strength. I need to find an easy routine, or maybe lift some hand weights during warm up and cool down on the treadmill.
    After the 6 week 6 pack on Wednesday and run last night I went to bed with a good kind of soreness in my muscles. Glad to be resting today!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Amy,

I have a group of people training to walk the half marathon in Dallas in March. I am following the Hal Higdon's 12 week training and it's going well so far! Good luck to you!

Count me in for the training, I'll start Monday. If it's cool I'd love to walk with your group.

Welcome!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Week 2 day 4 was completed yesterday, at least the run, I did skip the strength. I need to find an easy routine, or maybe lift some hand weights during warm up and cool down on the treadmill.
    After the 6 week 6 pack on Wednesday and run last night I went to bed with a good kind of soreness in my muscles. Glad to be resting today!

I had the good soreness last night too - and really welcomed today's rest day!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Did 10 mins elliptical on a high resistance level and 6w6p for my cross training today. :) I think it's about time to buy new running shoes too...
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I love Hal Higdon's plans and have recommended them to loads of people. I have followed his intermediate HM plan and he writes some well thought out schedules.

Welcome to the running community and best of luck with your race. :flowerforyou:
  • amysj303
    Options
    saturday ended up being a day of rest for me, but I will be doing my long run today. No chance of running outside we got a ton of snow!
  • amysj303
    Options
    The 4-mile run on Sunday was rough, I had to do it on the treadmill and it took longer, and my heart rate was pretty much in the red the whole time. I walked for two minutes twice. I don't know why it was such a struggle, that is so discouraging because I think progress means I find it easier than the week before when I was doing the same thing!
    Tonight is stretch and strengthen, so I will probably find a workout on demand, yoga/pilates or something like that.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    The good news is you did it, even with it being rough. I think some days are just like that.... where it seems like more of a struggle than it should - for whatever reason.

Here's a link to information about building walk breaks in (Jeff Galloway method). I thought it was interesting:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Run-Walk-Run_to_Faster_Times__Faster_Recovery.htm

I was supposed to go on the 4 mile run yesterday but was invited to go on a hiking adventure and didn't want to turn it down. So yesterday ended up being a cross training day for me.
  • amysj303
    Options
    yeah! thanks for that! When I was doing couch to 5k and Gateway to 8k, I lived for those little walking breaks and now I can do it and not feel like a slacker!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Week 2 day 2 last night, 3.5 mile run and I walked one minute every three minutes. It worked out that I could run faster for the running part and completed the run in about the same time as I would have jogging the whole time. And my heart rate was at max the whole time, so the whole thing was a lot more comfortable and probably the same calorie burn, but I wasn't wearing my HRM.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Week 2 day 2 last night, 3.5 mile run and I walked one minute every three minutes. It worked out that I could run faster for the running part and completed the run in about the same time as I would have jogging the whole time. And my heart rate was at max the whole time, so the whole thing was a lot more comfortable and probably the same calorie burn, but I wasn't wearing my HRM.

Possible that you got a higher calorie burn actually... because of the changes in your speed throughout... similar to High Intensity Interval Training. Maybe I'll try this today and see where it gets me.

This week isn't going according to plan. Monday and Tuesday were all off. It's do or die time for today - this is the only chance I"ll have to fit it in. I came here for some motivation - I believe I found it. Gonna put the shoes on and get it done. :) Thanks!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Hmmm... this thread has been sort of dead this week! I don't know about you all, but I didn't do well at all. Tried to get a 3 mile run in, only ran 20 minutes and walked for the rest of an hour. The next day, only ran 15 minutes and walked the rest of an hour. I know that part of my low energy is due to the vog in the air (volcanic gasses being emitted). But I'm trying to stay the course.

I also know that it's time for new running shoes. I got some new ones today and looking forward to seeing if that helps. If I still am struggling like crazy, I might consider re-doing Cto5K, for a good jump start.

How are you all doing?
  • amysj303
    Options
    Well, I developed a chest cold last week, I did the Tuesday run but nothing Wedensday and I called in sick Thursday and so just took it easy. I think I am going to try a long run today, instead of stretch and strengthen. DH is making VD dinner and so I need to burn some calories off and enjoy that. I still have a cough, but hopefully it doesn't matter too much!
  • amysj303
    Options
    I did a 4 mile run on the treadmill last night. I will not be able to run thursday or Saturday, though, maybe I should just take the time off and come back from DR and start again...
  • student0007
    student0007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Timing is everything! I will be training for the Philadelphia Distance Run (1/2 marathon) on Sunday, September 18, 2011. I just found a great 24 week schedule by Bob Glover (I used his training program to run my previous marathons).

I'll definately be checking in to see how you are doing. Thanks for posting!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Sorry if we're failing to provide the motivation you need...... :( You've been doing great! In my opinion, as long as you're staying active and enjoying your workouts, you're still reaping definite rewards.

I took the new shoes out for a run last night. Wow, was it gorgeous! The moon was SOOOO bright, and I could see the cruise ship in the distance, with lights sparkling like stars on the water. Was a nice change to just run with my shadow. I didn't really worry about the schedule, distance or time. Just ran off a long day. ;)
  • amysj303
    Options
    Sorry if we're failing to provide the motivation you need...... :( You've been doing great! In my opinion, as long as you're staying active and enjoying your workouts, you're still reaping definite rewards.

I took the new shoes out for a run last night. Wow, was it gorgeous! The moon was SOOOO bright, and I could see the cruise ship in the distance, with lights sparkling like stars on the water. Was a nice change to just run with my shadow. I didn't really worry about the schedule, distance or time. Just ran off a long day. ;)
    no, I am not blaming you! I got sick and this weekend I am going to Dominican Republic, so I won't be able to stick to Hal's schedule, so I will get back on track when I return.
    Where do you live that you run near the water and cruise ships? That sounds cool, although I would not probably run at night, maybe if I was running with someone else, though.
  • amysj303
    Options
    maybe it begins Sunday. I am trying to get back on track. Last night I did 3.5 miles on the treadmill. I think I will start over with week 3, now.
    I have a schedule and a system of rewards. I will check in here with anyone who wants to join in!