Hiking/Photography

Options
DJH3
DJH3 Posts: 243
Trying to keep all my social networking to a minimum so I figure if I can get people to talk about my hobbies here it'll save me some time. Plus hiking is exercise so it works.

Couple things here for now:

Where are your favorite places to hike and when is the last time you went?

What are your favorite things to take pictures of (i.e. flowers, landscapes, people, etc)?

Hoping to expand this a little if I can get enough interest. Things like landscape photography tips, favorite camera or brand of camera, etc.

Replies

• ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    FAVORITE PLACES TO HIKE: Laurel Mountains (here in Pennsylvania), Stone Mountain (Georgia), Deep Creek (Maryland)

FAVORITE THINGS TO PHOTOGRAPH: my cat, anything that catches my eye, the city of Pittsburgh

By the way, in your profile pic, where are you?

Great topic to post :-)

Have a good day!
  • amm703
    amm703 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tend to check out and photograph the local wonder of the world.....Niagara Falls. Just this time of the year it is a bit cold to walk around the park
  • DJH3
    Options
    FAVORITE PLACES TO HIKE: Laurel Mountains (here in Pennsylvania), Stone Mountain (Georgia), Deep Creek (Maryland)

FAVORITE THINGS TO PHOTOGRAPH: my cat, anything that catches my eye, the city of Pittsburgh

Have a good day!

That pic was taken at Old Man's Cave in Hocking Hills, OH. Was really cool fun but a bit slick. Reminds me, I should put a couple more pics form out there up.
  • DJH3
    Options
    Guess I could post my own stuff.

FAVORITE PLACES TO HIKE: Eagle River Nature Center, AK; Feather Falls, CA; Anywhere in Upstate NY where there is a trail.

FAVORITE THINGS TO PHOTOGRAPH: Right now I'm really liking flowers/plants. Just got a Macro lens and having a blast.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am surrounded by Grand Teton National Park and Bridger Teton National Forest, so I spend all my time hiking there. My absolute favorite is the 38.2 mile Teton Crest Trail. Stunning views and relatively isolated.

I just got a Canon Powershot 210X for an African safari trip. I wanted something small and not flashy, but good quality and zoom. I was not disappointed. I like it better than my bigger Canon with telezoom.

I have way too many pictures of my cat, and just about any wildlife in the area. I also love sunsets (never awake for sunrises). And water/snow makes for cool shots as well.
  • DJH3
    Options
    *giggle* What sane person actually wants to be awake for sunrise?

Feel a bit like a tool. Longest I have ever hiked that I paid attention to was 11 miles but I used to do about an 8 mile hike every weekend during the summer months in Alaska.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep all my social networking to a minimum so I figure if I can get people to talk about my hobbies here it'll save me some time. Plus hiking is exercise so it works.

Couple things here for now:

What are your favorite things to take pictures of (i.e. flowers, landscapes, people, etc)?

Hoping to expand this a little if I can get enough interest. Things like landscape photography tips, favorite camera or brand of camera, etc.

Oh, I love to hike!!!

I live in CO and do 99% of my hiking in the Rocky Mountains.

Please let me know if you get a hiking group started here. :smile:
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I like to photograph everything. Nature, people, architecture. I suppose people are always the most fun, especailly my friends cause they are awesome xD MY baby is a Nikon D90, and oh how I love her so! hehe ...I have no tips to share because I'm totally amateur and just do it for fun mostly. I still have soooo much to learn.
  • deandp371
    Options
    I've got a section of hiking trail I maintain in Eastern CT, so I spend a bit of time up there! Recently put up a wikipedia page on the trail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehantic_Trail

I'm not sure it's a hiking trail. More of a nature walking trail since the biggest climb is about 200 feet!

Photography has been limited to family and vacations. I do like to get out and take pictures through a telescope from time to time.

Great topic!
    David
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong. I don't do all 38 miles in one day! We do it in 3 days usually, although my husband is going to try the whole thing in one day this summer (hey, I'll be awake for the sunrise after dropping his crazy butt off at the trailhead at 5am!)

Longest I have hiked in one day is probably 15 miles. Longest in one trip is the 38 mile trail.

I would love a hiking group!! Although the snow doesn't melt up high until July for any serious fun.
  • DJH3
    Options
    I like to photograph everything. Nature, people, architecture. I suppose people are always the most fun, especailly my friends cause they are awesome xD MY baby is a Nikon D90, and oh how I love her so! hehe ...I have no tips to share because I'm totally amateur and just do it for fun mostly. I still have soooo much to learn.
    I ALMOST got a D90 because a friend of mine (who originally got me into photography) had the D80 and swears by it. Decided myself to get the Sony a33 due to the translucent mirror tech. The panoramic option is fun and the handheld twilight option is pretty sweet imo.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I just hike along a creek near home, but I love Seven Tubs. It's only about 3 miles from home, but I don't go very often. One of the last times, I fell in and banged up my knee and wrist pretty good. :blush:

http://hunch.com/things-to-do-in-wilkes-barre-scranton/seven-tubs-natural-area/2399174/

The time we tumbled: http://www.photoblog.com/pessimusprime/2008/10/05/misadventure-at-seven-tubs.html

As soon as the ground thaws, because I have a major THING against ice, I want to go to Columcille Megalith Park. I've never been, but it looks AWESOME!

http://www.columcille.org/

As far as photography, I like anything to do with nature & animals. Got some great butterfly and bird shots last summer. And my pets are good models.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I ALMOST got a D90 because a friend of mine (who originally got me into photography) had the D80 and swears by it. Decided myself to get the Sony a33 due to the translucent mirror tech. The panoramic option is fun and the handheld twilight option is pretty sweet imo.

I love it love it LOOOOVE IT!
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options

I love pretty much hiking anywhere I can, unfortunately there aren't too many places around me to do anything serious. Love going down to Old Man's cave in Southern OH (was there in January) and I plan on sweet talking some friends into doing the whole monument loop with me this spring or summer, it passes all of the major sites in the area and is @ 10-14 miles long.
    Otherwise, I'm in a hiking group that just goes around to a lot of the parks in central OH and hikes for the day. The last one was 7ish miles and wasn't terrible difficult, but fun non-the-less. :happy:

Um. Pretty much anything and everything. I'm one of those people that will take 50 million pictures of anything that catches my eye and then sort through the mess once I get home. :laugh:
  • DJH3
    Options

I love pretty much hiking anywhere I can, unfortunately there aren't too many places around me to do anything serious. Love going down to Old Man's cave in Southern OH (was there in January) and I plan on sweet talking some friends into doing the whole monument loop with me this spring or summer, it passes all of the major sites in the area and is @ 10-14 miles long.
    Otherwise, I'm in a hiking group that just goes around to a lot of the parks in central OH and hikes for the day. The last one was 7ish miles and wasn't terrible difficult, but fun non-the-less. :happy:

Um. Pretty much anything and everything. I'm one of those people that will take 50 million pictures of anything that catches my eye and then sort through the mess once I get home. :laugh:
    Old Man's was fun... even more fun doing it twice when someone dropped my sunglasses...
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Old Man's was fun... even more fun doing it twice when someone dropped my sunglasses...
    A little extra exercise is good for ya. :tongue:
  • nukehiker
    Options
    I pretty much enjoy hiking anywhere except places like Iowa...lol Anyhow one of the more intersting hikes was last year when I hiked from the south rim of the Grand Canyon ( blue angel trail i think ) down to the canyon floor. It was about 5 miles each way. and this past fall when I was in north carolina I spent a lot of time hiking the western north carolina mountains. In particular Grand father Mountain and Chimney rock were pretty good hikes.
  • DJH3
    Options
    @nukehiker: That profile pic you got there... standing over that drop would prob make me vomit. *shudder*
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Have a good day!

That pic was taken at Old Man's Cave in Hocking Hills, OH. Was really cool fun but a bit slick. Reminds me, I should put a couple more pics form out there up.

I'm from around Hocking Hills (Athens) and tyhat's what I was going to post as my favorite place to hike! My husband is an avid outdoorsman and he's slowly converting me, but I've always loved the Hocking Hills!
    My favorite thing to photograph are my loved ones and anything in nature that I find beautiful.
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love hiking my favorite place to hike is in Yosemite...Nevada Fall...Yosemite fall..when I don't get to go up North here in Cali...I like to hike up the Santa Monica mountains which is close to the beach...or Griffith park...where you can over see the Hollywood sign nearby...&...one closer by to me called Palos Verdes ...which you can also oversee the ocean.....I love to photograph ..I have a picture on my profile of Yosemite's half Dome...my favorite things to photograph are...my daughter & also my cats...I took a few photography classes but I'm no pro...I also own a Nikon