Starvation Mode is a Myth: The Science

Options

Replies

• elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Okay.... all this back and forth about this is driving me nuts and making it difficult for me to understand what I should be doing... there seems to be good data on both sides... I dropped 8 lbs in 2 weeks by eating a calorie restricted diet (roughly 800 to 1000 cals/day) and working out every day for at least 45 minutes (sometimes longer) HOWEVER - the scales have not budged the past 3 weeks despite working out for an hour a day and still eating healthy and restricting my calories while eating every 3 hours... So.... what gives?! Am I in starvation mode? If not why am I not losing despite obviously burning more than I take in?

It totally makes sense that your body lowers the metabolism to adjust to the lowered calorie intake to prevent starvation... if you go for a super long time - your body has no choice but to use whatever it can to live... so while the 1200 number may not be accurate - I think the idea is... otherwise: Why am I not losing weight!!!??? Answers please!

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer that will work for everyone 100% of the time. You'll need to use trial and error to figure out what works for you. I recommend eating 100 more calories every day. If, after 2 weeks, that doesn't work to help break your plateau, try adding another 100 more per day.

edited for spelling :embarassed:
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    To all those that believe there is no real effect to depriving your body of a certain number of calories (no, not EXACTLY 1200) over a sustained period of time, please read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/174065-starvation-mode-is-real-and-ugly

It is about a long-time MFPer who USED to believe as you do, but has had to learn the hard way.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Whoever said that BMR has been debunked needs to get their heads examined. You can get tested to see what exactly what your RMR is, and also a dynamic test is available which will give you how many cals you're burning at a certain effort like walking or whatever. Those 2 tests cost approx $200 (probably varies region to region) and 45 mins to do.

There is no "starvation mode" per se. "Mode" is the wrong word. Basically your metabolism will slow down to adjust to the calories available. Lower calories, lower metabolism.... OVER TIME, not just after a few days. It doesn't happen if you don't eat enough for a day or 2, but over weeks it will.

The original post is a joke as a few have pointed out. Hardly scientific with only 6 subjects, and over 60 hours.
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i can understand both sides and there are many instances were science can not prove everything 100% everyone is different and there is always exceptions to any rule. know your body do what works for you. what is healthy and works for one person of the same weight may not work for another person of the same weight. It gets more tricky when all of lifes variables come into play.

I dont think any of this information should be taken in to 100% true and just do what works for you.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I don't think we will ever know the answer to this question as so many people have different opinions, professionals included! As far as I can tell you need to eat what your body needs and if you find yourself not losing then upping your calorie intake to see if that works for you.

Personally I eat half of my exercise calories each day as I think it is better to be safe than sorry.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Okay.... all this back and forth about this is driving me nuts and making it difficult for me to understand what I should be doing... there seems to be good data on both sides... I dropped 8 lbs in 2 weeks by eating a calorie restricted diet (roughly 800 to 1000 cals/day) and working out every day for at least 45 minutes (sometimes longer) HOWEVER - the scales have not budged the past 3 weeks despite working out for an hour a day and still eating healthy and restricting my calories while eating every 3 hours... So.... what gives?! Am I in starvation mode? If not why am I not losing despite obviously burning more than I take in?

It totally makes sense that your body lowers the metabolism to adjust to the lowered calorie intake to prevent starvation... if you go for a super long time - your body has no choice but to use whatever it can to live... so while the 1200 number may not be accurate - I think the idea is... otherwise: Why am I not losing weight!!!??? Answers please!

If I were you I would try to eat more for two weeks and see if it makes a difference?
  • SoonToBeNewTracey
    Options
    1200 calories is the absolute minimum amount necessary for the body to function. Of course, it will vary depending on the person, but if one eats below 1200, they can get seriously ill in a short period of time.

Starvation mode refers to a prolonged period of time that a body is denied the nutrients necessary for its survival. Just because you fast for a day, doesn't mean your body will enter starvation mode. I try to fast every month, having a 1-day water-only fast. This does not mean that my body enters starvation mode, and I don't think MFP or any personal trainer or nutritionist will disagree.

hmmmm...I stay under 1200 calories every day, exercise every day, and my health has done nothing but improve

I was just going to say about the same thing. there is no magic number. 1200 calories is a GENERAL GUIDELINE. How could the "bare minimum" be the same for everyone?
    I use 1200 as my goal, and try not to eat my exercise calories. I generally go over (what MFP suggests) on protein and fiber, but not carbs and fat. Still I have lost 11 lbs in the last 30 days.
    Bottom line is that you use all the information provided to you and do what works for you!
  • xLissyx
    xLissyx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the absolute minimum amount necessary for the body to function. Of course, it will vary depending on the person, but if one eats below 1200, they can get seriously ill in a short period of time.

Can you give me some sort of study which backs this up?
    Starvation mode refers to a prolonged period of time that a body is denied the nutrients necessary for its survival. Just because you fast for a day, doesn't mean your body will enter starvation mode. I try to fast every month, having a 1-day water-only fast. This does not mean that my body enters starvation mode, and I don't think MFP or any personal trainer or nutritionist will disagree.

Of course, I agree with you. The problem lies in the misunderstanding of MFP's prompt, which tells us that we are in danger of going into "starvation mode" if we don't eat 1200 kCal per day. The prompt is poorly worded, and often misunderstood.

Isn't the title of this post also poorly worded and perpetuates a myth in and of itself? Starvation mode is neither a myth, nor does the research you posted confirm or deny it as a myth. People's perception of starvation mode may be wrong, but saying it's a myth in your title is as misleading as you yourself admit it's not in the body.

Besides the fact that the studies that you posted actually confirm starvation mode, not prove it as a myth. 8% may not seem like much for you, but that's plenty. And that's only after 3 days of fasting, it can be worse, and usually is after longer underfeeding periods.

and there have been other, longer term studies which point out that RMR or BMR (depending on which method they tested) went down far further in both underfeeding and total deprivation environments, as much as 25% in some cases after weeks.
    case in point:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/68/3/599.full.pdf+html?sid=e89fb416-23c9-4726-9f6b-2755536995a5

Furthermore, the percentages of nutrient types being used for energy metabolism as well as specific hormones designed to increase fat storage and decrease muscle growth change after the short term period (usually deemed between 24 and 60 hours) to promote a higher volume of fat stored and protein used as energy.
    see:
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/60/1/29.full.pdf+html?sid=5deb5c19-82fc-46dc-bf19-5dc7842a779a

All I'm pointing out here is, be careful you don't prove your own myth by badly worded topics. And think about who your audience is before you post. We (MFP's users) aren't the ones who can change the 1200 calorie statement you are speaking of, the site admins are, if you bring it up to them, and make a decent case, I'm sure they'll read and consider it. I've talked with Mike on several occasions, and he's a reasonable and respectful guy. I'm sure they'd talk to you about it.
    If you have an issue with a statement on the site (in site content), bring it up to the admins on the site, don't post it to the food and nutrition section. there's a specific section in the forums just for this type of issue. You could post in technical support or in Website suggestions, either one would be valid for requesting a site correction.

P.S.

For the record it was the World Health Organization that posted the 1200 calorie minimum for women (you can look up the study, it's really long and boring, but it's on their site if you're truly interested), it was a study done in the 80s, and it was concluded that for women, the average minimum daily calories needed to keep a woman out of starvation (note, not starvation mode, but starvation, which is a different condition) was 1200 calories. Please note this does not mean this is right for every woman, and in fact, it probably is less valid for US women who tend to be larger than the world average (height wise), but it's there in black and white, and a valid statement for what it's worth. People twist that number, and use it for wrong purposes, but that does not invalidate the number or claim itself.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I retract - I misread AND mistyped - I was thinking BMI. I apologize.
    damn acronyms. :tongue: :blushing:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Okay.....so please explain to me why it is, after my initial 30 pound drop w/the Lap-band, why for 2 years I couldn't lose weight at 500-700 cals a day without exercise or 200 Net cals with exercise??? And by some miracle now, I consume 1300 Net cals with exercise, and the weight is just melting off?

Everyone's body reacts differently....but for me, I know my metabolism took a serious dive with so few daily calories. I could feel it. Before I was sluggish, hardly ever hungry, constantly tired. And now? I have tons of energy and get hungry when it's time to eat -- which is about every 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

You're right, everyone's body does react differently. I can't answer your anecdotal evidence; all I can do is cite scientific studies.

But here's the thiing, we have compiled, through time, on this site, a LOT of anecdotal evidence that suggests that when a person has been staying consistently LOW on their calories for weeks, and hits a loss plateau, often, increasing the calories will prompt a new start to the losses, and will break up the plateau.

I agree with your assessment that we toss around the words too casually ("starvation mode" sounds so chicken little)
    and we do see a slavish adherance to the magical 1200 number.

BUT that doesn't cancel out the observations of so many members that show that prolonged undereating is detrimental to steady weight loss, and often a higher intake will "fix" this problem.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Some of us refer to it as "starvation mode" because that is the common terminology that people know and use (even though we know better). It is far better to eat healthy calories throughout the day, which revs up your metabolism, keeps your insulin steady, and keeps you from crashing in the afternoon than to deprive yourself because you think food and eating is somehow "bad," which seems to be what most people think. This kind of thinking is not only bad for your waistline, but your psychological health as well, and leads to all kinds of nasty issues. Plus, once you know that you can eat 5-6 times a day and in large quantities as long as the food is healthy, why would you want to deprive yourself? If you're eating less than 1,000 calories a day, you definitely aren't getting the nutirition you need and are going to feel worse than those of us who know the truth.
  • MssMia
    MssMia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OMG - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have NO idea ...

I'm friending you. lol...

Truly, I've gotten alot of flak because I will NOT LOSE at 1200 a day. My metabolism is so slow that that is maintenance for me. And there's reasons my metabolism is that slow (fat:muscle ratio) and it can/will change - but that's what it is for now and no one has believed me. I know my body damnit - I'm the one that's lived in it for 37 years. and you are very dead on with the nutrient issue.. that's a real challenge at a lower calorie count and one I actually do worry about.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Okay.....so please explain to me why it is, after my initial 30 pound drop w/the Lap-band, why for 2 years I couldn't lose weight at 500-700 cals a day without exercise or 200 Net cals with exercise??? And by some miracle now, I consume 1300 Net cals with exercise, and the weight is just melting off?

Everyone's body reacts differently....but for me, I know my metabolism took a serious dive with so few daily calories. I could feel it. Before I was sluggish, hardly ever hungry, constantly tired. And now? I have tons of energy and get hungry when it's time to eat -- which is about every 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

It may well be that the change is due to your increased level of activity on 1300 Calories/day. In fact, that's what you seem to be pointing at yourself in your posting.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    On top of the whole "starvation mode" argument. It is difficult for your body to get the required nutrients (vitamins and minerals, fat , carbs, protein, fiber) without supplementation on a diet that consists of less than 1200 cals. SO even if you don't believe in starvation mode, I'm sure you understand malnourishment, which can be another side effect of not eating enough, or eating the wrong things.
  • redheadlynn
    redheadlynn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents, and I am no expert, so bear with me:

Being a 4 foot, 10.5 inch woman who has decent fat rolls, curves, and an 32F cup bra at 115 lbs (pant size between 0-4 at that...grargh), I feel I can speak about this "minimum". Just like I can't drink as much alcohol or coffee or whatever as others, I can say that I do not lose weight at 1,200 kcal unless I am also exercising (like, cardio for at LEAST half an hr/day + weights). I have a bit of muscle on me, too, so it's not like I don't burn calories.

I am the size of a large child and frankly, I have to eat like one or else I will always look like a square.

I have tended to disregard this "minimum" for some time, and I don't quite understand it, at least not for someone my size. Maybe for someone taller or larger-framed, I can see that calorie amount working, but for me to be lean, I have to eat a LOT less. I do take my multivitamins/Omega 3's, and drink plenty of water and eat my protein... it IS possible on fewer calories. Other than my celiac disease, I am very healthy.

It just means that everything on the nutrition scale (fat, amt of protein, etc) adjusts accordingly. I assume that my basic nutritional needs differ from everyone else's. My significant other is 6'1"... and I *know* his minimums for everything are much higher than "average". It doesn't quite make sense that the scale doesn't slide the other way, either.

I think the body responds best to CHANGE, since we are geared to seek homeostasis. Of course our metabolism will eventually become static at a certain calorie level... it's what the human body does. Yes, for many people, I am sure that 1,200 is too little. For me, it isn't. Especially if I am sedentary.

I do agree with other posters that many people DO respond to increasing their calorie intake, and a lot of people can't lose weight on 1,200 calories a day. But for people like me (and smaller than me), it's just plain silly.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Hello, all. Since I've been on MFP, I've seen quite a bit of pseudoscience (unfortunately, propagated by the site itself) that declares that the body will go into "starvation mode" if you do not eat X amount of calories per day. I don't know the origin of this myth, but here is an article published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition which puts the lie to the myth:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3661473

For those of us who don't wish to wade through the scientific and technical jargon, here's a summary. If a person goes without eating AT ALL for SIXTY HOURS, their metabolism will slow by roughly 8%. Until you hit the sixty-hour threshold, without having eaten at all, your metabolism remains unchanged. Should you reach that point of sixty hours without food, your metabolism will come back to normal soon after you begin eating again.

Two other studies (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717 and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292) show that the metabolism actually INCREASES during periods of intermittent fasting, but at an equally negligible rate: 3.8 to 10%.

As well, it appears that the arbitrary number which has been chosen for "starvation mode" (1200 kCal) is the same for everyone, which makes absolutely no sense. Why would this threshold be the same for me, at 185 lbs., as it would be for someone who weighs 260 lbs., or even 110 lbs.?

So here's the science: "starvation mode" is a myth. There is danger in restricted-calorie diets, but it comes from the possibility of not getting the vitamins and minerals your body needs, not from a magical, instantaneous slowdown of your metabolism.

Edit: grammar error

I'm not taking a position either way but you are kind of comparing apples and oranges. These studies are about extreme short trerm reductions in calories. When people talk about "starvation mode", the are generally talking about long term significant reductions in caloric intake.

Also, I believe Mike (the administrator) puts the warning there for liability reasons.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The source is hilarious. 6 guys try this for less than 3 days, 24 years ago and you think that this is "proof"? Seriously? If you turned that in at school, the teacher would have written a big FAIL across your page.

And here's the truly funny part (other than the people who clearly didn't even bother reading it and feels it someone verifies their stance). Dropping their calories down for 72 hours DROPPED THEIR RESTING METABOLISM. What does that tell you?? If it drops that quickly (72 hours is nothing), what do you think happens to the people that regularly go weeks eating under 1000 calories and then burn 500 off exercising and don't eat it back? Do you think that their metabolism somehow defies the odds and burns efficiently? Of course it doesn't. How long do you think that people can live on what equates to 500 calories a day? Think they can live forever on that? So, as proved by your awesome source, their metabolism drops after only 72 hours (imagine how slow and feeble it would be after several weeks/months!) and then when they go back to eating a normal meal (or they stop exercising), their bodies are so starved and pathetic they can't maintain their weight. Why do you think that the same people who keep talking about "oh I've always eaten like this" are the same ones losing the same 50 pounds for the 2nd, 3rd and more times?

I'm tired of beating this dead horse. Eat whatever you want. And when you whine about not being able to lose or wonder with amazement how you keep gaining it all back, then remember all of the people who explained very clearly that you're starving your body and that's why it keeps rebelling. Some of us are here for a lifelong committement -- not interested in starving themselves for the short-term. That's so 1980s -- just like your article.

ETA -- Eating 1000 calories a day spread over the entire day is NOT intermitted fasting, which is what the article is about. Very few people here who consume 1000 calories a day do it all in one meal and then not eat again for 23 hours.

I do that. Hi! Also: why the aggression?
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options

It may well be that the change is due to your increased level of activity on 1300 Calories/day. In fact, that's what you seem to be pointing at yourself in your posting.

No --- it is not. I will state again:

After the Lap-band I dropped 30 pounds initially -- I was exercising, and netting about 200 cals a day. I was exhausted most of the time and had a hard time getting through my routine -- and this was about 8 months (2 mos before surgery and 6 mos after surgery). I plateaued --- I tried increasing my cals a bit, I tried exercising more. Still, no change -- I got discouraged and gave up. I had a period of no exercise --- w/about 500-700 cals daily, and my weight stayed the same. I tried exercising again -- netting cals between 200-700......after another 5 months, no weight loss. Each time, my routine consisted of about 1 1/2 hours of exercise 5-6 days a week.

Between from Sept - Dec 2010 I actually gained 10-14 pounds --- my daily cal intake was still at about 500-700 cals w/ no exercise.

I started here in January, using the calculations given, with a few small adjustments, I am not working out as long or as hard as I had before, and the weight is coming off at a rate of 1-2 pounds a week, so far.

So, no --- it is not an increased activity level, but IS an increase in my calorie intake.