Guide to calorie deficits

Options

Replies

• noneyobusiness
    Options
    I'm assuming that since you have compiled all of this information that eating your exercise calories has worked for your weight loss.
    I have just heard so many different things that I don't know what to believe anymore! Some sources say I SHOULD eat 1200 every day regardless of exercise or no exercise, and everyone here seems to say "Yes, you should eat your exercise calories"
    I like the muscle definition I have gained so far so I definitely don't want that to go away! I guess I should stick with this for a month or so and see what happens.
    Here's hoping it works!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that since you have compiled all of this information that eating your exercise calories has worked for your weight loss.
    I have just heard so many different things that I don't know what to believe anymore! Some sources say I SHOULD eat 1200 every day regardless of exercise or no exercise, and everyone here seems to say "Yes, you should eat your exercise calories"
    I like the muscle definition I have gained so far so I definitely don't want that to go away! I guess I should stick with this for a month or so and see what happens.
    Here's hoping it works!

did it work for me? Yes, but I'm a 37 year old man who was obese when I started. I have no idea what your situation is, which is part of the reason why I wrote this, to try to empower people to take a good look at their own decision and try to decide based on their circumstances rather than the advice of people unaware of your situation.
  • emkess
    emkess Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump, great info!
  • wendiwen123
    wendiwen123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    save :P
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    Options
    Very helpful thanks! BUMP
  • MrsLayton
    MrsLayton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So...what if I'm not hungry? Should I just go and find something that has however many calories, carbs, fat, sugar, etc. in it that I need, and eat it anyway? I mean, I can do that, but I also don't want to expand my stomach anymore! I never counted, but I'm SURE I was probably eating over 3000 calories on any given day. I'm only starting my second week, but those first couple of days were HUNGER-FILLED days! And I'm eating until I am full at just about every meal. Any help would be great! I lost 8 pounds the first week...following the recommendations and exercising when I could...and now the scale says I'm standing still. Is it because I don't feel as hungry? Because today, for instance, I'm about 400 calories short...with no exercise. Thanks for your original post, by the way!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    So...what if I'm not hungry? Should I just go and find something that has however many calories, carbs, fat, sugar, etc. in it that I need, and eat it anyway? I mean, I can do that, but I also don't want to expand my stomach anymore! I never counted, but I'm SURE I was probably eating over 3000 calories on any given day. I'm only starting my second week, but those first couple of days were HUNGER-FILLED days! And I'm eating until I am full at just about every meal. Any help would be great! I lost 8 pounds the first week...following the recommendations and exercising when I could...and now the scale says I'm standing still. Is it because I don't feel as hungry? Because today, for instance, I'm about 400 calories short...with no exercise. Thanks for your original post, by the way!

Well, before I say anything to you, I want you to understand that what I'm writing is based only on what you've said already, and what your profile says. Which means I'm working off limited information. Since you haven't filled out much of your profile, we're talking REALLY limited.

So step by step. It's common to lose a large amount the first week or so of a diet, because of a change in eating, change in exercise patterns, and a change in hydration levels, the body most likely dropped a lot of water. That's normal, it's not usually an indicator of future weeks.
    You shouldn't expect large weight loss every week, some weeks you'll have a lb or two, some weeks you'll have 4 lbs, and some weeks you'll have zero or maybe even a gain. That's because the body doesn't work off a week long cycle, it is a much longer cycle than that. All you can do is compile numbers and look for trends. If trends over months go in the right direction, you're doing it correctly, if they are stagnant or trending up, then you need to adjust things.
    The name of the game is consistency. If you are consistent, and keep your goals moderate enough to allow your body to gradually adjust, you'll be far better off in the long run. Dropping 30 lbs in a month sounds great, but it's a major shift in your body chemistry, it's difficult for your body to adapt to this kind of loss, and thus the changes seldom last, more often than not the body will re-gain that original weight, and generally even gain a few extra. Where as if you give your body time to adjust to the new weight (I.E. lose more moderately) it has time to slowly adjust hormone levels, organ function, and fat dispersal, which allows you to be comfortable in the new weight and not risk a yoyo effect when you reach the bottom.

As to not being hungry. That depends on how badly you've abused your body in the past. Hunger is just a set of hormones, the body will release hunger hormones to stimulate calorie need. For those of us who've had problems for years, the body is (for lack of a better term) "out of whack". Hormones are released at inappropriate times and in inappropriate amounts. Thus at least for a while, it's not a great idea to "listen to your body" or "eat when you are hungry". This method is fine for someone who is healthy, and has a good lean mass to body fat ratio, but for someone who's been overeating for years, this is a path to failure IMHO. I feel it's better to set up an eating plan, eat what you have planned during that plan, and until your body becomes used to the new schedule (usually takes a few weeks) forget listening to autonomic processes. In the beginning you can feel off because of this, some people feel like they can't eat all their calories, others feel constantly hungry, it depends on your body, but if you eat the right amount, and are careful about your food measurements, then you at least, can know that you are eating enough and the right kind of calories to feed your body and continue the process.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    very helpful. bump
  • p1xelate
    p1xelate Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    wow this is great thanks!
  • Remember it is not just the calories but what FOODS you fuel your body with!

Lean proteins include foods like skinless turkey breast, very lean beef, egg whites, fish and whey protein. Instead of white bread and rice eat whole grains like brown rice, quinoa and sprouted wheat tortillas, bagels and bread. Fresh vegetables, specifically dark leafy greens and orange varieties, are an important part of most meals.

Fruits like apples, oranges, berries and melon help satisfy the sweet tooth. Low-fat dairy in the form of skim milk, cottage cheese and plain yogurt provides protein and calcium
  • Essentially you are cheating yourself by only focusing on calories and calorie deficit. You need the right calories as well.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump - Lots of questions tonight!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

NOTE: activity level isn't as mysterious as it sounds. If you have a desk job, and do very little walking throughout the day and don't really perform any sports or physical activities, then you are sedentary, if you do some walking every day (or at least 4 days a week) or other light activity for at least 30 minutes cumulative at least 4 times a week, you are lightly active. If you do 60 minutes of light activity 5 days a week or do some kind of sport that requires walking or light jogging (say swimming or mailman or warehouse employee) then you are active, If you do a physically demanding activity (one that makes you sweat) for 4 days a week or more and for more than 1 hour a day, you are very active (like a coach that runs drills or you play

One question about this part Banks. We still want to avoid double counting, right? Meaning, if I'm participating in some sports or workouts and I intend to log them as exercise in the database, I should not count it as my regular weekly activity level here too, should I? Wouldn't that be double counting them?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

NOTE: activity level isn't as mysterious as it sounds. If you have a desk job, and do very little walking throughout the day and don't really perform any sports or physical activities, then you are sedentary, if you do some walking every day (or at least 4 days a week) or other light activity for at least 30 minutes cumulative at least 4 times a week, you are lightly active. If you do 60 minutes of light activity 5 days a week or do some kind of sport that requires walking or light jogging (say swimming or mailman or warehouse employee) then you are active, If you do a physically demanding activity (one that makes you sweat) for 4 days a week or more and for more than 1 hour a day, you are very active (like a coach that runs drills or you play

One question about this part Banks. We still want to avoid double counting, right? Meaning, if I'm participating in some sports or workouts and I intend to log them as exercise in the database, I should not count it as my regular weekly activity level here too, should I? Wouldn't that be double counting them?

Curious about this too (and Banks' answer). I'm sure it depends a lot on your level of adaptivity to the sport and the frequency. As in, a guy playing basketball or golf twice a week should probably log it as exercise; whereas someone who does it 4 times a week is more adapted to it and may not burn much. However, I would think it would still be an issue as far as the estimation of burn - activity level estimations may not add enough cals to compensate, unless it's a pretty casual sport. Not sure what other factors there are, though.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    as to the last question. It's kind of a difficult question to answer. It's very individual. What I was trying to do was describe lifestyles that people have, not extra curricular exercising. In other words, there is the assumed part that I probably should have mentioned, and that assumed part is this:

If as part of your regular routine.

In other words, before each different description add the above statement. for example instead of saying
    "If you do 60 minutes or more of light activity 5 days a week ...etc." I should have wrote:
    "If as part of your regular routine you do 60 minutes or more of light activity 5 days a week ...etc."

Activity level is a gauge to how active you are, and calculates extra calories based on that activity. So no, you wouldn't add exercise calories if you accounted for exercise in your daily activity. But this is a slippery slope based on what ladyhawk said. If the activity is the same every day, your body will eventually build up a tolerance for that activity and it won't be quite as effective (assuming it's the same static activity every day.)
    For instance, walking. You could walk 5 miles twice a week at a brisk pace and get maybe what (I don't really walk so I'm not sure how long 5 miles would take) maybe a 600 calorie burn out of it. But if you were a postman, after a few months, you're probably only going to be burning 350 or 400 calories for that same walk. Because muscles remember, and they become efficient at repetitive tasks. Great if you're learning how to play guitar or piano, bad for exercise calories.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    bump
  • closermotion
    closermotion Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheNewMrsDemo
    TheNewMrsDemo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump