Why are some members so mean here?

Options
I recently started a new topic and one particular member immediately attacked what I thought at the time was “good advice” I then I made a suggestion on how to improve MFP and again received a sarcastic reply.

I am curious to know if anyone has ever felt that you were under siege for making a suggestion or comment on this website?

Replies

• rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Report the post. If they aren't being helpful or even remotely constructive in their criticism, they're not helping anyone. A lot of times people will post what they think needs to be said due to their own insecurities about their workout, eating, etc.
    Don't let it get to you. Report the post and move on. They aren't worth the time.
  • kkrause2
    kkrause2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Report the post. If they aren't being helpful or even remotely constructive in their criticism, they're not helping anyone. A lot of times people will post what they think needs to be said due to their own insecurities about their workout, eating, etc.
    Don't let it get to you. Report the post and move on. They aren't worth the time.

Agreed!
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    There are mean people everywhere. This has actually been the most accpeting website I have ever been on. Some are really bad.
    Sorry for your bad experience. Dont give up! This is actually a wonderful site
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I know thats what I was thinking. Who cares about them and if they bug u tell them to **** OFF.
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    So far, i have not had any bad experience here...just ignore them...
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You will always get the occasional "keyboard warrior" who thinks their opinions are fact!, in general though this place is brilliant and full of motivational people so don't let it put you off!

Ben.
  • daffysbird
    Options
    I agree with all that has been said here! I really think some people need to watch how things can be interpreted when they type it so that no offence can be caused. We are all here for the same reason and we should all be helping and supporting each other, that is definitely the reason I am here, to help and support others and to have the help and support when I need it.

Good luck to everyone on this journey!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    There are mean people everywhere. This has actually been the most accpeting website I have ever been on. Some are really bad.
    Sorry for your bad experience. Dont give up! This is actually a wonderful site

Hear hear!!
    Ignore the trolls :O)
  • jessit72
    Options
    I know how you feel, but no worries there are plenty of friendly people here to back you up! I remember the first post I ever wrote about feeling like I'm starving and someone decided to let me know I'm not starving because I still get so many calories, I felt hurt right off the bat, but then people encouraged me to ignore that and keep going, and I am thankful everyday for that. So if you ever need a friend, feel free to message me I'm gunna add you!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    You will always get the occasional "keyboard warrior" who thinks their opinions are fact!, in general though this place is brilliant and full of motivational people so don't let it put you off!

Ben.
    keyboard warriors this made me laugh.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I agree that some people can be mean........... But I went back to your first post and if you are talking about the one directly under it............ I don't think that was mean.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I know thats what I was thinking. Who cares about them and if they bug u tell them to **** OFF.

I don't think that will help anything. Maybe just ignore them or even PM them and ask. Sometimes things that are said on computers does not come across the way it was intended. It's a big site and should be easy to stay clear of one another if it can't be figured out.

Try not to let one bad apple spoil the bunch:)
  • lucielu2
    lucielu2 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I appeciated ur post , cause i always wonderred about that
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Yea, they are everywhere, and there is always gonna be someone that thinks they know more than anyone else. They normally disappear after awhile though. Just ignore them, or, like happened yesterday, get all your friends to gang up on them, that is always fun!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    There are A-hats everywhere. For the most part everyone in this community is really helpfull. I say just ignore them, no point in getting upset over anything on the "interwebs".
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    Definitely let the good comments outweigh the bad. Obviously people like that rude one simply don't have anything better to do and don't respect themselves, let alone others. Welcome and good luck to you! :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I saw the post. It could've been worded in a much more supportive way. Even if she didn't mean to be sarcastic it came off that way. It's hard to read emotions when you aren't face to face.
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don’t post too often but from what I have seen, I think most people around here are supportive and positive, even when people post common “repeat” questions. I would ignore any negativity and try not to take it personally. Overall, I find the majority here to be supportive and give great advice!
  • wkschuster
    Options
    I've noticed in my short time on here that there are some people who don't even know they are being mean. They state things the way that they see them and don't realize that not everyone can handle such brashness. Don't take it personally, forget the negative people on here or ones that voice things in a manner you don't appreciate and focus on the great supportive people. Good Luck in your journey :)
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    which post are you talking about?