Jealousy as motivation

Options
Hello my Sweets!

Quick question for all of you lovely people!

Have anyone of you ever used jealousy as a tool for motivation? I know it sounds odd, but think it through.. For instance, i was at a cafe with a couple of friends when who should enter but an ex of mine with his new-found-muscle-bound-love...

Now without a cigarette to inhale deeply and vodka nowhere near in site, i gulped down my steaming black coffee... (terribly good, aren't i? )...While my friends sort of shielded me from any untoward attention...luckily all they got was a takeaway, and left quickly, and we all continued out conversations as if nothing had happened.

I however, silently said to myself "RIGHT! You're gonna be a gym bunny incarnate now", and i got close, i upped my gym visits from 2 to 4 times a week and running from 2 to 3 times a week . My Personal Trainer even noticed my new determination and was like "Wow dude im impressed etc etc you've improved massively etc etc"

So the questions is people, have you ever used jealousy as motivation?

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think of it more as revenge and the ablitiy to feel superior to others. :laugh: When I am being hot and eating virtuosly I can smugly tell myself that I am a better person and everyone who thought I was fat can suck it. I think there is a little mean spirited shallow person inside of all of us, so we should use it to our advantage when it doesn't actually hurt anyone else. :flowerforyou:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Whatever works! :drinker:
  • kathrynarnold
    Options
    Story of my life sweetheart
  • iluvmine
    iluvmine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    yep all the time.. but i wouldnt really call it jealousy..all my exes new girls look a hot mess...
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I will have to admit I had a twinge of revenge buried deep in my getting fit journey - just a wee bit. :)
  • ExpectingToFly
    Options
    All the time. My best friend is naturally thin and seeing her every day is enough motivation for me to keep losing weight!
  • khillman77
    Options
    Hell Yeah everytime I think of my ex husband and his new wife (now his ex-wife) :laugh:
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    I guess you could technically call mine jealousy too.
    I have a group of friends who are all just drop dead GORGEOUS! I was never upset that they were admired but did get sick of not being "checked out" with the rest of them. One day I decided I was done feeling inferior and I was done hearing comments about how great my personality is...
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I think this is by far, the best post I've seen in the motivation section bar none! And bravo to that!
    Let us delve into our petty selves for a moment over coffee::

I think that as long as you are aware of how you are thinking and not letting it get to a full blown obsessive crazy depth of jealousy and really be possessed by it, it's a perfectly legitimate way of motivating yourself.

Also, I think that people have to remember that being your GW or ideal body compositions is *not* a panacea for happiness.

You just have to be realistic about these things. It's all good and fun to play Walter Mitty when you're zoning out on your treadmill but don't go off on the deep end and think that your former lover will change and beg at your feet, or your friends will all of a sudden realize how truly beautiful you are etc. Or your boss will ask you out or something.

Among my reasons for getting fit are a nice array of snarky, petty, mean winds beneath my wings :)
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    THIS. THIS IS MY LIFE.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I think this is by far, the best post I've seen in the motivation section bar none! And bravo to that!

I think that as long as you are aware of how you are thinking and not letting it get to a full blown obsessive crazy depth of jealousy and really be possessed by it, it's a perfectly legitimate way of motivating yourself.

Also, I think that people have to remember that being your GW or ideal body compositions is *not* a panacea for happiness.

You just have to be realistic about these things. It's all good and fun to play Walter Mitty when you're zoning out on your treadmill but don't go off on the deep end and think that your former lover will change and beg at your feet, or your friends will all of a sudden realize how truly beautiful you are etc. Or your boss will ask you out or something.

Among my reasons for getting fit are a nice array of snarky, petty, mean winds beneath my wings :)

Nice post!

OP you cracked me up.
  • zydratethief
    Options

true, true, I aint getting obsessive, and god knows i don't want him back...but god knows i want him to burn like a M£$%^&R with envy...heheh
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    So colecting the sweat and hair of the person im jealous of wont help me be like them,damn
    does anyone need some sweat and hair?
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I do find inspiration from people that look good to me weather they be friends, celebrities, strangers on t he street or an ex. I am very motivated by the people around me. I wouldn't call it jealousy because there isn't really a negative or competitive feeling attached to it, but I could definitely see how something like your experience could be some great motivation!

...Whatever works! Keep up the great work! Next time he sees you he might be thinking the same thing!
  • misschaplin
    Options
    So colecting the sweat and hair of the person im jealous of wont help me be like them,damn
    does anyone need some sweat and hair?

Rotfl :laugh:

I do think as long it "healthy jealousy" maybe Envy being the better word then its fine.
    I am very envious of a lot of my thinner friends, and I think it can give you a litte (much needed sometimes) shove in the right direction.
    Whatever helps I guess :)
  • kelligonzales
    Options

Obsessive crazy what's that?! ha ha ha ha I don't know the meaning of to far ha ha ha :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So the questions is people, have you ever used jealousy as motivation?

Not so much jealousy as love (actually lust...) The reason I got into weights all those years ago was because I was desparate to get the attention of a particular girl. However, a weird thing happened in the four or five months it took me to lean out (god bless a youthful metabolism.) I lost interest in the girl completely and fell in love with someone altogether more appealing. Myself. Admittedly I have never quite shaken the touch of vanity that period of change instilled in me. However, in the words of Oscar Wilde "To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance" and romance makes life worth living.

I think that time was a real blessing. It forever etched in my mind that now matter how pretty the packaging it cannot compare to the beauty of your spirit. That is the real thing of value and the beacon to which people are utlimately attracted. A strong sense of self belief and worth trumps a nice exterior every day of the week....
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I've never been the "jealous" type. I have a superiority complex supported by delusions of grandeur to further my deepest desire to have everyone else become jealous of me. Personally, I believe it's the greatest form of self-motivation. To stand out above the rest because the majority of society is aesthetically displeasing.
  • zydratethief
    Options
    I've never been the "jealous" type. I have a superiority complex supported by delusions of grandeur to further my deepest desire to have everyone else become jealous of me. Personally, I believe it's the greatest form of self-motivation. To stand out above the rest because the majority of society is aesthetically displeasing.

srs lulz
  • Shaye85
    Shaye85 Posts: 107
    Options
    ohhhh yes, best kind of motivation ever, i had this girl who was best friends with my x husband and when we seperated( it was only 2 weeks!!) she ****ed him...not only did this girl piss me off before when we were dating by calling me a whale and disgusting but she had the nerve to come to my wedding, try and be-friend me afterwards and THEN sleep with my husband when we were having hard times...but karma always gets those people, she has one kid with a stripper and another with a crack head who slept with HER neighbor...im glad she knows how it feels now... haha!! and now that im much lighter she cant call me a whale and when im 125lbs im gonna rub it in her smug face MUAHAHAHAHAHA:smokin: