oatmeal...other ways to eat it without butter and sugar

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    I did it with a tbsp of peanut butter and a scoop of chocolate whey the other day. It was sort of ok, sort of weird. I still haven't decided if i really liked it. Usually i have it with a tbsp of peanut butter + a tsp of sugar, and take the whey drink on the side, but the (artificial) sweetener in the whey powder mixed in with the oats made it sweet enough.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    I pop in some frozen fruit after the oatmeal is done cooking. So far I've tried blueberries, sweet cherries, and marionberries. So good! The marionberries taste like I'm eating a cobbler. It's also yummy with some apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg mixed in. I don't even use anything but oats, water, and fruit. I haven't gotten board with things, yet!
  • Juleswithaplan
    Juleswithaplan Posts: 21 Member
    I like adding sugar-free fruit spread or preserves...
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    I do quaker plain in the package with 1 packet of artificial sweetner.. but i eat fruit and sometimes yogurt with it too.
  • sambfox
    sambfox Posts: 12 Member
    I like my oatmeal with a spoon full of applesauce and some cinnamon. A table spoon of jam or almond butter is good too.
  • I like mine with sliced bananas, blueberries, and a little bit of cinnamon. YUM!
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Little bit of peanut butter, honey and banana. I also like to add canned pumpkin, cinnamon and brown sugar. Or, unsweetened apple sauce. I have also switched to steel cut oats, which are so much tastier than rolled oats!
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    I love oatmeal. I use steel-cut oats, cook with water, egg whites, cinnamon and splenda, chop some apple up and toss it in, and when it's done, sprinkle with a little ground flax seed and chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans. Very well-rounded, filling meal. I've never had it with butter???
  • neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 161 Member
    Try adding different types of fruit... bananas are my favorite and I also like blueberries.
  • mlloos
    mlloos Posts: 22 Member
    I like to put a tablespoon of craisins and 2 teaspoons of flax seeds in my quaker minute oats with 1/2 water and 1/2 milk substitute. It's yummy and has lots of textures.
  • erinbeckerin
    erinbeckerin Posts: 3 Member
    When I need a change I drizzle a little molasses on my oatmeal. Sometimes I pour (soy)milk on top.
  • exejet
    exejet Posts: 4 Member
    Joseph sugar free syrup is very good. so close to the real deal! Add that to oatmeal and it is wonderful! You can get it online from their website.
  • cmgardella
    cmgardella Posts: 4 Member
    I just eat one packet of Quaker Apple and Cinnamon. It's delicious, filling, and only 130 cals when cooked with water. Mmmmm.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    I put peanut butter in it. NOM!
  • Ceria
    Ceria Posts: 46 Member
    Stevia and I cant believe its not butter spray with apple pie spice...all of the flavor none of the added calories.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I did it with a tbsp of peanut butter and a scoop of chocolate whey the other day. It was sort of ok, sort of weird. I still haven't decided if i really liked it. Usually i have it with a tbsp of peanut butter + a tsp of sugar, and take the whey drink on the side, but the (artificial) sweetener in the whey powder mixed in with the oats made it sweet enough.

I found if you cook it with the whey in it, it becomes chalky. I usually mix my whey with 4 oz of milk, then add it to the cooked oatmeal with peanut butter.

My favorite way to eat it though is
    1/4 cup oats
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 tsp cinamon
    sweetener to taste
    1/2 cup fruit, (I usually rotate between frozen cherries, peaches, or strawberries)
    1 to 2 tbsp of walnuts, or almonds (chopped, or sliced)
    cook
    add 2 tbsp of fat free whipped cream.
  • sexyjeans
    sexyjeans Posts: 49
    I buy the low sugar maple & brown sugar flavor. Yum. But...because I have a sweet tooth I always add extra splenda. And...If I'm wanting extra substance...I'll add a sliced banana.
  • c1romero
    c1romero Posts: 2
    I make steel cut oats in a crockpot set on low overnight. 1/2 cup SCO + 2 cups water.

Tonight I prepped the oatmeal, added 3 T organic unsweetened apple sauce (reducing the water by 3T), 1/2 apple cut into small chunks, lemon zest and poppy seed. Some stevia for sweetening.

I've also used pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, stevia and a sprinkling of pecans.

Blueberries, two egg whites, 1/4 t baking powder, stevia, cinnamon.

1/2 Apple in chunks, cinnamon, walnuts and then a sliced banana added in the morning to the cooked oatmeal.

Check out "75 Ways to Love Your Oatmeal" by Jenny Grothe
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    I use steel cut oats, honey, dried cranberries, splenda and cardamom
  • What kind of oatmeal does everyone eat?
    1/4 c. quick cooking rolled oats mixed with 1/4 c. oat bran. so mushy and good!
This discussion has been closed.