C25K (Couch to 5 K) ~ Week 1

sixxbaby
sixxbaby Posts: 543
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
ok you all ready???? tomorrow is Day 1 so after stretching this is what you do:
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. if you have to rest; then rest but TRY to do the 20 minutes. We will repeat this on Thursday and Saturday. let us all know how you did. Good luck

here is a link if you are not sure about stretching: http://running.about.com/od/stretchesforrunners/tp/stretchesforrunning.htm

here is an inspirational story: http://www.c25k.com/ben_video.html

and I am doing the exact same program on facebook if you want to join my team on there: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_195693117124947

Replies

• annj1019
    annj1019 Posts: 17 Member
    That is funny. I am actually getting off my butt and going to loss weight and get into shape so that I can do a 5k. :) Except mine is in the mud and is an obstacle course too. I wont be able to do your workout cuz it is too cold to run outside here and no gym membership but I would like to try this with you to see if we can beat our goals together. :)
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    I am SO in on this. I have a 5K in June to get ready for. THANK you for this thread!
  • sixxbaby
    I would LOVE to do that!!! good luck...one advantage to living in California...can pretty much go outside everyday
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    I just told my boyfriend that we should start C25K. Perfect Timing!
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    ok you all ready???? tomorrow is Day 1 so after stretching this is what you do:
    Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. if you have to rest; then rest but TRY to do the 20 minutes. We will repeat this on Thursday and Saturday. let us all know how you did. Good luck

here is a link if you are not sure about stretching: http://running.about.com/od/stretchesforrunners/tp/stretchesforrunning.htm

here is an inspirational story: http://www.c25k.com/ben_video.html

and I am doing the exact same program on facebook if you want to join my team on there: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_195693117124947

As you'll know, because you are a friend of mine on here, I started last Monday. Today will be Week 2, day 2. I found week 1 hard, the first day of week2 was okay.

I did make sure I'd eaten some almonds and dried apricots on my last run so i'm going to do the same today.

I have a 5K in June, which I'd love to be able to run, start to finish! I'll finish the training around Easter time which will give me a few months to increase my pace.

Good luck everyone!!

LouiseXXX
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    I can be such a moron!!! I thought all day yesterday was the 1st so I started yesterday!!! :grumble:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    perfect,

I started c25k wk 1 last week, but this week have a messed up schedule which means I may not be able to complete week 2 properly, so I can join you guys on your week 2 as well.

week 1 was fine for me, but I have done it a few times in the past. This time I want to actually finish the programme!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I'm in! My new running shoes come next week, but I think I should be able to get through Week 1 without injuring myself as it's so little actual running the first week!:wink:

I'm going to be using the C25K Android app for the timing.
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    I'm in!!! xxx
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    I'm hoping you don't mind me checking in every so often. As I posted before, I started the programme last week and am now into week 2. I did day 2 today and it was pretty good. the sun was shining but there was a lovely cool breeze.

If you want to, download the Robert Ullrey podcasts to help you time your walk/run. Here's the link:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

You need to click on one of the heading at the top to download the podcasts. I find them really helpful because I would never know when to start and stop my intervals. The music can be a bit awful, warning you in advance!!!

LouiseXXX
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Did my first day. did not get through the whole thing, but Im working on it. Push myself a little further each day. I liked it tho. Even if I did have to do it all in place. Cannot wait til the weather warms up!
  • sixxbaby
    I'm hoping you don't mind me checking in every so often. As I posted before, I started the programme last week and am now into week 2. I did day 2 today and it was pretty good. the sun was shining but there was a lovely cool breeze.

If you want to, download the Robert Ullrey podcasts to help you time your walk/run. Here's the link:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

You need to click on one of the heading at the top to download the podcasts. I find them really helpful because I would never know when to start and stop my intervals. The music can be a bit awful, warning you in advance!!!

LouiseXXX

Of course we don't mind...support is always needed.
  • sixxbaby
    How was Day 1???? I got through it a little easier than I expected. By all means it was not EASY, but for someone that has not ran since middle school (and that was cuz I was forced to) I did ok, did the full 20 minutes....

So for tomorrow (Day 2) rest up, but make sure you stretch a couple times through the day, if you are sore try eating bananas and stretch!!! Even if it hurts to stretch make sure you do it the more often the better for your muscles to recover...see you all again on Day 3 when we do it again!!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I ended up doing Day 1 today. It was more challenging than I expected!
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Well I got up to the 6th run and really had to stop - was soo close but couldn't do any more. It wasn't that bad but I have SPD and my pelvis really started to hurt :( will keep trying but if my pelvis keeps hurting so much will have to stop.

I downloaded an app for my iphone called get running and it told me when to run and when to walk, how long i had left etc etc was really good :)
  • sixxbaby
    I thought for sure I would be sore today, but not at all, still did my stretching today and even went to the gym for Turbo kick!! Looking forward to day 2 tomorrow
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Hi,
    Mind if I join? Tonight was W1D3 for me. I'm loving it so far! My schedule is not perfect, but I'm determined to do it three times each week so I can keep up.

I'm excited to see people starting this week. I've found doing programs with others really keeps me motivated! :bigsmile: I'm planning to do a 5K in June, too.

-Kathy
  • HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    I wish I could report that I finished all the cycles, but I get so scared about falling on my face while on the treadmill if I get too tired. On the more positive side of things, I did complete my fastest mile to date! YAY!! My left ankle is kinda sore and I'm hoping that it'll go away before the next training day. Good luck to all!
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Yay C25K newbies! Thank you to Atlantique for linking me in :flowerforyou:

I am on wk 1 though I am aiming for doing it 5 times a week until I hit week 3, which is going to be a MASSIVE challenge for me. :noway:

I have slowly been trying jogging before this, so although it hurts still like hell I did get through my cycles. I did it twice today cause I was annoyed I gained a kilo on my weigh in this morning. :laugh:

I'm so glad I found others who can help push me along as I try to achieve this goal, and hope to help motivate everyone too! :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.