oatmeal...other ways to eat it without butter and sugar

Options

Replies

• MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    1/2 C blueberries, 1/8 C walnuts, and cinnamon almost every morning. Sometimes a little dark chocolate and natural almond butter (tablespoon of each) when I'm craving something chocolaty. and I always have 1/4 cup of eggwhites on the side.
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What kind of oatmeal does everyone eat?
    1/4 c. quick cooking rolled oats mixed with 1/4 c. oat bran. so mushy and good!

I eat old fashion
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I've been buying the Safeway 'healthy' Eating Right brand multigrain instant oatmeal. 130 calories for 1 serving, low sodium, decent amount of fibre, half the sugar of the Quaker equivalent, good protein and iron fortified. I had half a grapefruit and one serving for breakfast this morning and felt full from 8:30 all the way to noon!

Unfortunately, when they were leaving out the sugar and the sodium, they also left out the flavour. Going to think about some ways to spice it up without adding calories.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I mix in a tbsp of lowfat sweetened condensed milk and 1 tbsp of reduced fat peanut butter with a small banana....very filling!

This sounds great!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I usually eat quick cooking oats but have some steel cut on hand too... just haven't used them lately.

I almost always make with milk instead of water, which helps me feel like I don't need to add more toppings. When I do add toppings, some of my favorites are:

TBSP peanut butter (sometimes with a tsp or so of jam too)
    brown sugar and cinnamon
    applies and cinnamon

I just started eating with peanut butter a month or so ago and really like it. I always feel like oatmeal is so carb-heavy (even if it is the good complex carbs) that I should balance it out with some protein, so making with skim milk and adding a little peanut butter balances it out a bit.
  • jasmines_mum
    Options
    I sweeten mine with honey and raisins/goji berries.
  • missdeehere
    missdeehere Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I too make mine with Skim Milk instead of water. It is more healthy & filling.

I use 1/2 quick oats with a cup of milk & mashed baana almost daily. The banana & milk makes it sweet enough so I don't use any sweetner.

For a treat I will have instead of the banana, use Blueberries. Sometimes I add some Sugar Free Instant Vanilla pudding mix to that.

If I need chocolate, I will omit the fruit & add some sugar free chocolate pudding mix & a spoon of low fat peanut butter.

Or add some sugar free chocolate pudding mix to my mashed banana oatmeal.

Applesauce & cinnamon is great too.

I also use Steel Cut Oas & Nine Gran Hot Cereal
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have to add a little brown sugar to my oatmeal too! Sometimes I add in some walnuts, raisins or cinnamon too.

Ditto. I use quick oats. I used to get the packets but felt I always was hungry and needed 2 packs. I eat a 1/2 cup.

I have tried honey in place of the brown sugar. I'd like to try agave nectar but its expensive.

Oh and I love blueberries in it. Yum
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    fruit!
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    cooked with water, add diced gala apple or banana & 1 tbsp flax seed or chia seeds. I do not feel the need for a sweetener as the fruit makes it sweet enough for me. I am going to start using frozen strawberries, blueberries etc as the weather gets warmer.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A tub of low fat fruit flavoured yoghurt
  • sbusch21
    sbusch21 Posts: 43
    Options
    I cook the old fashioned oats. when i add the oatmeal to the boiling water, I also add chopped up apples. Then when it's all cooked, I add splenda, cinnamon, and skim milk. It tastes just like the apples and cinnamon instant oatmeal only better and way more filling!
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    i actually mix baby food with mine. any fruit. so far i've done bananas, apples, strawberry banana, and pear-apple-cinnamon. lol i got the idea one day because i just happen to keep my oats and my son's jarred food in the same cabinet.
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There are so many ways to eat oatmeal!

I either cool steel cut oats, or else Trader Joes multi grain, which is oat, rye and barley. It just takes a couple extra minutes compared to quick cooking.

Here are some of the ways I've prepared it:

Cook with a small amt of mapeline, (maple flavoring) 1 packet of splenda.

Cook with vanilla extract and 1 packet of splenda, add frozen blueberries.

Add cinnamon, 3 crushed walnut halves and splenda

Add pear or apple with cinnamon and splenda

Add blackberries and apples.

Add cocoa powder and splenda

Any of them are amazingly good, and fill you up.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I put a tbsp of raw honey in a cup of steel cut oats. yummy!

Me too...
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I started making my own version of Starbucks "perfect" oatmeal. I just use the original instant packets, a little brown sugar, a bit of cinnamon sugar, dried cranberries, golden raisins and some chopped nuts. Plus, at work we have those mini moos individual creamers (10 calories for each little cup) so I'll add 2 or 3 of those. YUM!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If I'm really craving chocolate I add a tsp of peanut butter and 1/2 a package of sugar free hot chocolate. YUMMY!!!
  • reasonablyvain
    Options
    blueberries....plus salt and sugar, but only a tsp or two (of the sugar.)
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I like adding bananas and walnuts to mine. Mmmmm!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    BUTTER? That sounds absolutely wretched!

I add a whole cup of frozen blueberries or blackberries before it goes in the microwave. Then, a little splenda when it comes out. That's it.