To spank, or not to spank!?!

Options

Replies

• SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    im actually a little surprised at how many people said spank.... apparently im the only non-spanker:huh:

I am also a staunch non-spanker.

No judgement here... however research does indicate that spanking is not an effective way of shaping behaviour (in fact we have some pretty solid research indicating that it has the oppposite effect).

We know that children learn through modelling. I try and model calm, self control, and firm yet fair treatment of my kids. We have consistent and logial consequences, and I always verbally indicate expectations in situation (e.g. As we enter a store, I explain what behaviour is expected, and what consequences will follow if the rules are not followed). We must also remember that when children model the positive (e.g. please and thank you), they also model the negative (e.g. using physical means to solve problems and exert control).

I personally do not raise a hand at my children, and try not to raise my voice, except of course when volume is specific to the task (e.g. calling out to them before the run into the street).

There are many parenting books on the market that outline great behavioural techniques (think "Supernanny" or, if you prefer, less commercial versions written by parenting experts and/or psychologists) so you could check your local Borders, Chapters, Indigo, etc.

I would be happy to share specific behavioural techniques with anyone who is interested.
    Warmest regards to all my MFP friends!
    :flowerforyou:

Nicely said. I am exactly the same way and have raised a very well balanced, respectful, sweet, well behaved child.

Speaking as a child who was hit her whole life by her father, it causes nothing but resentment and hard feelings. It did nothing in regards to discipline.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    im actually a little surprised at how many people said spank.... apparently im the only non-spanker:huh:

I am also a staunch non-spanker.

No judgement here... however research does indicate that spanking is not an effective way of shaping behaviour (in fact we have some pretty solid research indicating that it has the oppposite effect).

We know that children learn through modelling. I try and model calm, self control, and firm yet fair treatment of my kids. We have consistent and logial consequences, and I always verbally indicate expectations in situation (e.g. As we enter a store, I explain what behaviour is expected, and what consequences will follow if the rules are not followed). We must also remember that when children model the positive (e.g. please and thank you), they also model the negative (e.g. using physical means to solve problems and exert control).

I personally do not raise a hand at my children, and try not to raise my voice, except of course when volume is specific to the task (e.g. calling out to them before the run into the street).

There are many parenting books on the market that outline great behavioural techniques (think "Supernanny" or, if you prefer, less commercial versions written by parenting experts and/or psychologists) so you could check your local Borders, Chapters, Indigo, etc.

I would be happy to share specific behavioural techniques with anyone who is interested.
    Warmest regards to all my MFP friends!

Nicely said. I am exactly the same way and have raised a very well balanced, respectful, sweet, well behaved child.

Speaking as a child who was hit her whole life by her father, it causes nothing but resentment and hard feelings. It did nothing in regards to discipline.

Nicely said by you Soup - I too was hit - knew the "wooden spoon" far too well - and my relationship with that parent is not nearly as healthy as my relationship with the gentle, but firm, parent.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    AJCM such a perfect post. This is the way pass on your knowledge.

Lead by example, my friend.:flowerforyou:

(and I am a spanker!! and was a spankee too. Ol Ma loved her soft slipper on my bottom!)
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Nicely said by you Soup - I too was hit - knew the "wooden spoon" far too well - and my relationship with that parent is not nearly as healthy as my relationship with the gentle, but firm, parent.

Absolutely 100% true AJCM!

• AJCM
    Options
    AJCM such a perfect post. This is the way pass on your knowledge.

Lead by example, my friend.:flowerforyou:

(and I am a spanker!! and was a spankee too. Ol Ma loved her soft slipper on my bottom!)

Thanks my friend.
  • erinwindle
    Options
    So, I have a question. Seems time out, getting down to your child's level is a common response, for the younger kids anyway. I have a 3, almost 4 year old girl, who has both mine and her daddy's temper and stubborness. I apologize to my mom all the time...lol
    Anyway, the question, I am a 24 year old mother with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I cannot get on the floor, bend, stoop, squat, etc. down to my child's level.
    How do I handle talking/explaining before the punishment (i.e: time out spot, chair, etc.) if I can't get down to her level? I know standing over her is not going to have much effect, In my experience, but I'm not sure if there is another way.
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    I spanked my 2 when they were younger. My youngest rarely got spanked though and it shows. It has been a struggle, I tried time out, taking privliges, and anything else you can think of. The only thing that has gotten their attention was spanking. Now all I have to do is tell them I am getting mad and they stop. I also have a rule that they can ask for any one thing only three times, on the third time no matter what is was they dont get it or we don't do it. That has cut way down on the begging. No matter what rules or ways of discipline you use the most important thing to remember is to follow through. Good Luck.
  • AJCM
    Options
    So, I have a question. Seems time out, getting down to your child's level is a common response, for the younger kids anyway. I have a 3, almost 4 year old girl, who has both mine and her daddy's temper and stubborness. I apologize to my mom all the time...lol
    Anyway, the question, I am a 24 year old mother with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I cannot get on the floor, bend, stoop, swat, etc. down to my child's level.
    How do I handle talking/explaining before the punishment (i.e: time out spot, chair, etc.) if I can't get down to her level? I know standing over her is not going to have much effect, In my experience, but I'm not sure if there is another way.

Could she come up to you? Could you talk to your kids face to face while they are sitting on a chair? Or a raised chair / stool? Maybe your time out chair could be a taller stool so that the child can have the quiet time / be removed from the situation, and it would accomodate you, so that you can discuss the situation at their eye level.

Just an idea!
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Anyway, the question, I am a 24 year old mother with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I cannot get on the floor, bend, stoop, swat, etc. down to my child's level.

Could she come up to you? Could you talk to your kids face to face while they are sitting on a chair? Or a raised chair / stool? Maybe your time out chair could be a taller stool so that the child can have the quiet time / be removed from the situation, and it would accomodate you, so that you can discuss the situation at their eye level.

Just an idea!

Wow...agree again with AJCM. Have them sit on the sofa next to you and have a "talk". I have always spoke to my child on equal terms...meaning I never talked babyish (he has a very excellent vocabulary because of it) and he knows what to expect from me.

To the original poster and others who care to learn...
    I adhere to my threats as well. If he disobeys...there will be reprecussions. You never see your boss taking swats at your rear do you? He knows that. There will never be grey spots as far as discipline. It's only black and white. If he blatantly misbahaved...there were reprecussions for his actions. Isn't that the way the real world truly works? The spoken word, actions, and living what you say mean so much more than physically swatting or hitting your child. A truly calm, patient, understanding yet stern parent will know the difference and see the difference in the child. It didn't take any books for me to realize this. You are also asking this question to a diverse group of people. You have no idea how to decipher wether or not they are good parents or not. Please take that into consideration. This may have upset a few people because...they have endured the same experiences I have. Please do not attack someone for caring for a child. It's only because they care. You and your child are a team.....you can either escalate the situation or learn to de-escalate the situation. You are the boss and that is all. Spanking does not earn you respect. Being a role model does.

Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Big people make big impacts without saying anything at all.

Are you the parent you would want to have?
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I thought I had posted earlier ... oh well.

No you are not in the minority Soup -- I think we are the role models are children will emulate and therefore it is our responsiblity, as the guardians of their souls and beings, to teach them the proper way to treat people and themselves.

I believe in consequences to actions to reform behavior. Children are children and they only learn what they are taught... and being strict and disciplined is NOT being abusive. Spanking or hitting a child is.. I know a lot of people don't like to hear it because honestly, spanking is easier work. However, having a child isn't about what is easy -- it's about what is right. I have spanked my oldest, once and I felt like the biggest jerk ever and I regret it to THIS day. Do I think there are situations, emergency actions where it is appropriate -- yes if that is your recourse and you need to act NOW. Like yanking a child out of the street -- yes, but then you explain yourself and your actions.

Showing a child love, order, consistency and appropriate behavior is the way to parent. I do think physical exercise is a way to discipline at times, the time-out(naughty) chair (as long as you explain it is for the bad behavior not the bad child), and allowing them decisions in their own consequences.

I will post this and I am sure it will up set some but:

Discipline and spanking are NOT the same thing.
  • TNTPete
    Options

Your thoughts are valid Soup -- don't feel like you need to edit them... :wink:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

With all that is going on....I do not want to be attacked or underestimated.

Thank you so very much for backing me.:flowerforyou:

I feel very strongly about this and want others to see my side without feeling that I am putting them down. It is "tread lightly" on here now. I don't want to give a bad impression.:ohwell:

You rock girl...btw.:flowerforyou:
  • stenogal
    Options
    I have a son with Autism, so the whole spanking thing...just isn't the answer for him.:noway: And let me tell you:explode: there were LOTS of times I wanted to spank him.
    We have Behavior Therapists who come into our home 5 days a week for 3hrs a day and work with him. What works the best for him is using reinforcers.

For example:
    He LOVES LOVES LOVES his Disney movies. He usually has a favorite for the week that he will watch over and over again. Well, if there is a task that he needs to do or a behavior that is not appropriate and is asked to stop and he won't do it, then we would basically give him a warning along the lines of, "That's not okay, you don't jump on the couch. I need you to sit nice."
    If he continues to do it then we give him another warning, "You need to sit nice or I will help you."
    So then if he still doesn't then we simply say, "Okay, I'm going to help you." That's when I would actually go over there and sit him down.
    If he still doesn't listen...(by this time you're thinking "I'm going to spank you." ):grumble: That's when I take his movie (or favorit toy at that moment) and say "Okay, I'm going to take your movie because you are not listening."
    He would probably get upset with you at that time and that's when you tell him, "If you want your ____(favorit toy) back then you need to sit nice." That is usually the breakthrough moment.
    We use that method while in public too. He usually carries some favorite baby(little farm animal) with him everywhere he goes and if he starts to throw a fit about something I start with the first warning..."You need to have a nice voice." Then the, "If you do not have a nice voice then I will take your baby away." Then if you have to...TAKE THE TOY and then there's the extreme sentence "I'M GOING TO THROW IT AWAY IF YOU DO NOT STOP, AND SIT NICE."
    I also carry a pill box in my purse that's filled with M&M's in it that I use for rewards when he is doing a good job in public. Like if he did a good job walking to the car, getting in the car seat without a fuss then I'd give him one and say, "Good job getting in the car!...Good job going into the store!"...and so on. If you don't want to give him candy then just use whatever his favorite snack is.
    I know you are not dealing with Autism, but I've learned that this method works well with other kids also at a young age. I mean let's face it...we are all looking for that special trick that helps us get through to our kids and keep us HARD WORKING MOMMIES from going crazy at times. :wink:
  • TNTPete
    Options

With all that is going on....I do not want to be attacked or underestimated.

Thank you so very much for backing me.:flowerforyou:

I feel very strongly about this and want others to see my side without feeling that I am putting them down. It is "tread lightly" on here now. I don't want to give a bad impression.:ohwell:

You rock girl...btw.:flowerforyou:

Back atcha:flowerforyou:

I understand treading lightly... think that is why I have been posting less of my opinion and more PCish... I am all for careful posting but not for less opinion-based posting. My opinions are mine and yours are yours... if I can sway you because I make sense then so be it, if not stick with your own -- ya know!! (You being the universal any person) <--- see -- uggh. oh well you know what I am saying!!

Stenogal -- spanking isn't really for the kids -- it's for the parents anyway.
  • pdxmomof2
    Options
    To the original poster, have you considered you and your husband taking a parenting class? That doesnt mean you have failed as a parent or that you are a bad parent. It just means you want to be a better parent. They can offer alot of really good advice. I dont think that spanking would come into play. And it would be age appropriate.

I personally dont believe in spaking my children unless what they have done or are doing could seriously harm them or another such as running out into the street, etc. I have not yet had to spank either one of my kids. For me, I just have to show them that I am disappointed with their actions. My 5 yr old is extremely sensitive so this works well with him. But as many have said what works with one may not work with the other.

I also have a friend who grew up being spanked through her teenage years. She has a 20 mth old daughter who she has worked hard to never spank. There are ways around it if you feel like you dont want to take that route. For her time out works really well. Her biggest concern is that she does not want her daughter to fear her as she grows up. She is striving for respect. I know some have said that they were spanked and still respect their parents. I am not discounting their experience by any means.

Good luck with this. Being a parent and feeling like we are doing the right thing, in my opinion, is the hardest thing we have to do in our lives! I hope you are able to find some good advice from your fellow MFP'ers!

Stenogal- I too have a son who is Autistic. He is 13 now. Spanking would never work with him either. he copies alot of what he sees and experiences and I think it would lead him to hit others. Like you, I have to use the things he loves the best! He loves little ceramic houses. he collects them. When things get bad we take them away from him. It works wonders everytime!

Amy
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    FYI....my son just got his mid term grades.....straight A''s and above average intelligence. That's my boy and that's my boy without harsh discipline.:happy:

I AM doing something right!!!!!

I vowed never to lay a hand on my son...swatting or hitting.

I am truly doing something right. You know what? Without any hitting.....my son has morals.

The story he told me today makes me proud.:bigsmile:

My college education or my masters degree did NOT prepare me for this.

Life itself did.......I did are I are doing ....something right.:bigsmile:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    First, I have not read through all the posts, just a few so I am not aware of where this has gone. I am posing my opinion only, not judging others, just saying what works for us and why we feel as we do.

I know parents who spank, but most of the parents I know do not spank.

I don't spank. I was spanked often and usually with the lecture "this hurts me more than it hurt you."

Really? I don't see a wooden spoon or belt hitting your bare bottom. My mom quoted James Dobson Dare to Disciple often. I still get a bad feeling in my stomach when I hear that name, and I don't have the greatest relationship with my mother either...but it is much improved in the last few years. I was spanked for nearly every transgression. However, my parents have evolved greatly since my childhood and now understand time outs and alternative disciplinary techniques. They don't spank my children, and my children visit their grandparents for 8 weeks in the summer, long enough that they will need discipline.

I have two children. One has a genetic disorder that includes him being just plain wired differently. My other child is highly sensitive and would shut down completely to us if spanked. I don't claim to be the perfect parent. far from it. My children really get on my nerves sometimes (daily). But consistency and direct statements seem to work best with them. After all, what is the job of the parent? My answer to the question includes (but is not limited to) the following:

A parent's job is raise a child from infancy to adulthood in such a manner that the adult if fully functioning (or as much as possible in special cases) and able to act in a caring, responsible, self controlled way. That adult should be able to differentiate between right and wrong, and be willing to take a stand for what is right and just. That adult should be able to get and hold a job, balance a budget and a checkbook, enjoy varied activities and be warm hearted and open to people of all backgrounds. Of course there are important things that I've left out of this description...but you get the idea.

So my job (besides the obvious of loving them) is to teach and give my children the tools that they will need as adults. My job is not to "win" or be blindly obeyed. My job is to shape and guide, and help my children be able to eventually self guide. Yes, discipline is part of that. Yes, there are actions that lead to consequences. But ultimately my goal is to help them become the best possible child, teen, and adult that they can be.

Techniques that work for me:
    Calm is listened to more than angry or urgent. Quiet is listened to more than loud. :laugh: . Several times I have had complete laryngitis. The children are always better behaved when they can't hear me and have to follow signals or read directions. Even a whisper can be effective. We also have no TV during the school week and limited on weekends. Even very selective TV (PBS) shows seem to precede behavior that we don't want - yelling, refusing to help, slamming doors. Cutting all TV has very much helped, and both children are avid readers. Diversion, change their focus to something positive. Chores, give them something to do - pick up dog piles, fold laundry. LOL my youngest thinks it is a treat to "fold" laundry. Spend time playing with them. My kids have just discovered monopoly - the old fashioned one, and love it.

I have read a number of parenting books. Some are great, some scare me. I really like Raising your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka - as both my children would fall into the spirited category.

Well, it's a bit rambling, but there is a summary of my parenting philosophy.
    DH more or less agrees. He came from a home that was also big on spanking or even slapping across the face. He is VERY opposed to that type of discipline.

How is it working? I think it is working well.
    My oldest is extremely creative and artistic, athletic and straight A to A++.
    My youngest, with the help of years of speech, physical, and occupational therapy is thriving. Last year he went from below average to exceeds average in his 100% mainstreamed class. He just started therapeutic horse riding again today.

Raising children is tough. I salute all the parents here. We can only do our best.
  • TNTPete
    Options
    First, I have not read through all the posts, just a few so I am not aware of where this has gone. I am posing my opinion only, not judging others, just saying what works for us and why we feel as we do.

I know parents who spank, but most of the parents I know do not spank.

I don't spank. I was spanked often and usually with the lecture "this hurts me more than it hurt you."

Really? I don't see a wooden spoon or belt hitting your bare bottom. My mom quoted James Dobson Dare to Disciple often. I still get a bad feeling in my stomach when I hear that name, and I don't have the greatest relationship with my mother either...but it is much improved in the last few years. I was spanked for nearly every transgression. However, my parents have evolved greatly since my childhood and now understand time outs and alternative disciplinary techniques. They don't spank my children, and my children visit their grandparents for 8 weeks in the summer, long enough that they will need discipline.

I have two children. One has a genetic disorder that includes him being just plain wired differently. My other child is highly sensitive and would shut down completely to us if spanked. I don't claim to be the perfect parent. far from it. My children really get on my nerves sometimes (daily). But consistency and direct statements seem to work best with them. After all, what is the job of the parent? My answer to the question includes (but is not limited to) the following:

A parent's job is raise a child from infancy to adulthood in such a manner that the adult if fully functioning (or as much as possible in special cases) and able to act in a caring, responsible, self controlled way. That adult should be able to differentiate between right and wrong, and be willing to take a stand for what is right and just. That adult should be able to get and hold a job, balance a budget and a checkbook, enjoy varied activities and be warm hearted and open to people of all backgrounds. Of course there are important things that I've left out of this description...but you get the idea.

So my job (besides the obvious of loving them) is to teach and give my children the tools that they will need as adults. My job is not to "win" or be blindly obeyed. My job is to shape and guide, and help my children be able to eventually self guide. Yes, discipline is part of that. Yes, there are actions that lead to consequences. But ultimately my goal is to help them become the best possible child, teen, and adult that they can be.

Techniques that work for me:
    Calm is listened to more than angry or urgent. Quiet is listened to more than loud. :laugh: . Several times I have had complete laryngitis. The children are always better behaved when they can't hear me and have to follow signals or read directions. Even a whisper can be effective. We also have no TV during the school week and limited on weekends. Even very selective TV (PBS) shows seem to precede behavior that we don't want - yelling, refusing to help, slamming doors. Cutting all TV has very much helped, and both children are avid readers. Diversion, change their focus to something positive. Chores, give them something to do - pick up dog piles, fold laundry. LOL my youngest thinks it is a treat to "fold" laundry. Spend time playing with them. My kids have just discovered monopoly - the old fashioned one, and love it.

I have read a number of parenting books. Some are great, some scare me. I really like Raising your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka - as both my children would fall into the spirited category.

Well, it's a bit rambling, but there is a summary of my parenting philosophy.
    DH more or less agrees. He came from a home that was also big on spanking or even slapping across the face. He is VERY opposed to that type of discipline.

How is it working? I think it is working well.
    My oldest is extremely creative and artistic, athletic and straight A to A++.
    My youngest, with the help of years of speech, physical, and occupational therapy is thriving. Last year he went from below average to exceeds average in his 100% mainstreamed class. He just started therapeutic horse riding again today.

Raising children is tough. I salute all the parents here. We can only do our best.

Awesome -- and so true -- since we're sharing -- mom's gotta brag some times - both of my older school age children are reading and comprehending three years above their school level, math on par and in excelled programs. My youngest is being moved to a higher level day care room because she has out grown her classroom.

I think these stories are great to share because they give credibility to the success you can help your child obtain if they are treated a particular way.
  • nuttyrubs
    Options
    hey i have the same problem.........i took advise from my sister who has two perfect children asking for permission to go to the toilet even, sleep on time, while as my kiddo is a little hell cat screaming and throwing tantrums...she believes in spanking her children once a blue moon. her logic: we used to get spanked when we were kiddos and we turned out to be alright. so probably we need to adopt both the methods
This discussion has been closed.