Can Men and Women REALLY ever just bo friends?

Options
Still_Sossy
Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
I had a conversation with my husband this morning. I go walking with my neighbor who is a guy, nice, make small talk and chit chat etc, never does or says anything weird or potentially sexual ever come up, our conversations today centered around Tilapia!
My husband believes that it is impossible for men and women to have a friendship with out it ever getting complicated by emotions or sexuality. I think you can be friends with men or women. His words having to be edited, were basically men think with their "you know" and that this is just how things are. I was wondering what other peoples opinions on male/female friendships are.

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I think it can be difficult, but not impossible. I don't think a little flirting and sexual tension is a bad thing. Keeps us on our toes. I hope I never take a blase attitude towards women and I wouldn't want my wife to either.
  • bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i have women friends and i also know their husbands and b/f they talk and text me i know when they start getting jealous i back away for awhile and let them be.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    When will I learn to proof read????
  • maryross1
    Options
    my best friend is a guy!
  • olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    I have several guy friends, one is going to be a groomsmen in my wedding, and my fiance doesn't care. Another guy friend of mine has a girl as his bff, and her and his girlfriend have also become really good friends. It's just about trust and knowing that the only person you want to come home to at night is the person you're in the actual relationship with!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Too many of my men friends don't think of me in a sexual way and it really pi$$es me off. :laugh:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I think they can... but yea, a lot of men do think with their 'ya know what'. I think if both people are in a committed relationship it makes the whole platonic thing so much easier, then neither person is "expecting" something from the friendship.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    sure it is - when I was working in a corporate environment, I had mostly female co-workers and had some that were really good friends. just friends - that's it.

but ya, for some people if there is chemistry, it can be tough. and sometimes some people - whether women or men do have different motives - but I would say one could probably pick that up quickly.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    I have several purely friend-only male friends. I also have a few that are a little more complicated. I think it just depends on the people in question as to whether mixed-sex friendships can really be just friends.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Depends on the person and how they feel about each. You can be friends, but at the same time, feelings came come up. I've been in this situation, so, it's a bit hard to give an answer.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    my hubby would agree with your hubby

I used to think it was possible...and still do (sort of)...I think for a single woman, it is ok...but as a married woman, it can be an issue (and yes, this is my observation with some friends that are recently not married anymore)...not saying this always causes a problem...but if a woman becomes vulnerable (bad fight with the hubby) sometimes the "male friends" see that as an opportunity for something to "just happen"
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    when he starts saying unexpected things.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    For quite a while, all I had were female friends. A few of them I did want to date, but there were others that I was only interested in for a friend. One of my wife's best friends is a guy, they talk on the phone usually a couple times a day, and there is or never will be anything between them. The running joke is that he is her boyfriend.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    If what your husband says was true, bisexual people in a committed relationship wouldn't be allowed to have any friends at all. That line of thinking is bogus. It is 100% possible and it happens all the time. If I can be blunt for a moment, hopefully without coming across as rude, it sounds to me that your husband has some control/trust issues.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible and have some great female friends (in fairness,long distance) ones.
    Even if he ever does have a romantic or sexual thought I think most guys are still decent enough to never act on those feelings.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If you're a husband or a father to a daughter then you would probably answer no. For anyone else, the answer is yes. hehe
  • SpartanHard
    SpartanHard Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible and have some great female friends (in fairness,long distance) ones.
    Even if he ever does have a romantic or sexual thought I think most guys are still decent enough to never act on those feelings.
    Carl makes an excellent point which I agree with. I think you have to have a guy that is in coontrol of himself enough to maintain that line. Many are not
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    its very possible.. Now on the other hand when in a relationship you do have to be very.careful because the possibility to lead to other things is there
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I have a few best friends are guys.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am the only female at my workplace. I only consider a handful of the men I work with as "friends". If I was even remotely friendly with some of them they would take it the wrong way. I also know which ones I can joke around with and which ones I cannot. Same with customers, since the majority of our customers are men.

My husband agrees with yours...it's not possible for me to be "just friends" with a man. A man always has a hidden agenda in his opinion.