Don't believe in "Starvation Mode"?

Options

Replies

• Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering if the contestants on the biggest loser were also told to eat back their exercise calories. Would be good to see what kind of diet plan those guys were all on.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pinkribbon_Doc
    Options
    I am just wondering if the contestants on the biggest loser were also told to eat back their exercise calories. Would be good to see what kind of diet plan those guys were all on.

From what i understand and from what has been said by previous contestants is that they eat about 1000-1200 calories a day and work out 4-6 hrs every day. That being said, a previous winner of TBL said he gained back over 30lbs 5 day after being on the diet because of water weight and how dehydrated he was. I think the overall goal is to be healthy, fit and a good weight that your heart isnt straining to keep you alive. One contestant on TBL developed an eating disorder which is another extreme.

My way of seeing it is that if i burn 500 calories at the gym, and im satiated and not hungry at all, why should i stuff myself with the extra 500 calories? In the end, I want this to be a lifestyle change for me and something that 1 month, or even a year after I reach my goal, i slip back into bad habits.
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options

From what i understand and from what has been said by previous contestants is that they eat about 1000-1200 calories a day and work out 4-6 hrs every day. That being said, a previous winner of TBL said he gained back over 30lbs 5 day after being on the diet because of water weight and how dehydrated he was. I think the overall goal is to be healthy, fit and a good weight that your heart isnt straining to keep you alive. One contestant on TBL developed an eating disorder which is another extreme.

My way of seeing it is that if i burn 500 calories at the gym, and im satiated and not hungry at all, why should i stuff myself with the extra 500 calories? In the end, I want this to be a lifestyle change for me and something that 1 month, or even a year after I reach my goal, i slip back into bad habits.

Yikes....they must burn pretty much all the calories they consume, and then some. 30lbs of water weight is insane! Did he not drink water at all??!?!?!!? Well, it seems like I their method is on the extreme side and not suitable for average folk like us - I have a job and a life, no way I can spend 4-6hrs in the gym every day, lol!!
  • lpummell73
    lpummell73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In the end, I want this to be a lifestyle change for me and something that 1 month, or even a year after I reach my goal, i slip back into bad habits.

Excellent Point....that is the only way to look at it as a "lifestyle change" If you loose it slowly and get fit and learn to eat better the healthier you will be!!
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    I'm the "ate 1200 calories or less and now within 5 lbs of my goal weight and stopped losing" person.

I've increased my calories to 1450 per day, and guess what after a week of doing that I've started losing again after not losing and actually gaining 1 kg over 3 weeks.

Today I'm having a hard time reaching my calorie goal but I know that have some calories spare if I feel like a coffee after dinner or if I want my mint choc chip Skinny cow ice cream tonight.
  • lpummell73
    lpummell73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have heard that one small cheat a week is good. Keeps your metabolism in check and jump starts it. You just can't overdo it!! WTG on almost reaching ur goal!
  • mrjason
    mrjason Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So, I have around 130 pounds to lose. With exercize, the site gives me close to 3000 calories a day. It sounds insane that I could LOSE 2 pounds a week eating 3000 calories a day.

Also, how do they explain gastric bypass or lap band patients? Their calories are severely limited and they lose weight, mostly.
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    To be clear:

What 75% (my estimate) of MFP users would define "Starvation Mode" as...

THAT, I do not believe in.

Testimonials, anecdotal evidence, all of it means NOTHING in my opinion. Show me scientific evidence of a starving person that gains weight as a direct result of their starvation.

Starvation (as a clinical term) and "Starvation Mode" (technically adaptive thermogenesis or famine response) are NOT one and the same. They can be related, and can correlate, but trying to use the terms interchangeably is part of the problem.
  • nuimproved
    nuimproved Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump :wink:
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more!!!! thank you.
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To be clear:

What 75% (my estimate) of MFP users would define "Starvation Mode" as...

THAT, I do not believe in.

Testimonials, anecdotal evidence, all of it means NOTHING in my opinion. Show me scientific evidence of a starving person that gains weight as a direct result of their starvation.

Thank you!!
  • LMP1979
    LMP1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump! :flowerforyou:
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I think the main problem is that people are more concerned with losing weight and not concerned with lowering their body fat %. If more people, especially women, would "buy in" to body recomposition, then starvation mode wouldn't be this huge blown out of proportion thing on this website. In fact, the vast majority of users would end up eating way more than 1200 calories a day instead of fighting hunger urges on minimal amounts of nutrients. Of course, most people want instant gratification ,it's the just the type of society we live in.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I think the main problem is that people are more concerned with losing weight and not concerned with lowering their body fat %. If more people, especially women, would "buy in" to body recomposition, then starvation mode wouldn't be this huge blown out of proportion thing on this website. In fact, the vast majority of users would end up eating way more than 1200 calories a day instead of fighting hunger urges on minimal amounts of nutrients. Of course, most people want instant gratification ,it's the just the type of society we live in.

Amen brotha! Keep preaching that. The more you say it, the more popular the idea becomes,

One of my personal phrases to clients is "Weight is arbitrary, body fat is key!" Love that phrase, and live it.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    So this is something that I was very confused about so I asked the trainer at my gym. She's not one of those trainers that just went and got a certificate. She's got her BA and has worked with professional athletes so she is one of very few people that I trust when it comes to weight loss and exercise.

She said that if you are trying to lose weight that you should not be eating the calories that you burn from exercise. It makes exercising a moot point. She said that if you're looking to maintain weight, then it's okay. As far as hitting a plateau, you just need to shock your system and completely switch up your exercise routing once every 1-1.5 months to avoid this from happening.

I see that you've been very successful so do whatever works for you. My sister is also a firm believer in eating the exercise calories. I personally think it makes working out a moot point.

:happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

As a trainer, it offends me often how this show portrays itself. I'm not mad at Bob and Jillian or anything (although it's ugly the way Jillian pimps just about any product out there sometimes). I'm mad at the way it's produced.

Look, First you must understand a few things about TBL, 1) there are doctors there, at the ranch, who have a specialization in weight disorders, metabolic disorders, hormone problems...etc. monitoring the clients. So choosing ANY person and comparing them to TBL is going to be inaccurate.
    2) these people are considered to be morbidly obese, and in some cases in "immanent risk of sudden death via stroke or heart failure"; In situations like this, and in the presence of EMT's, certain risks are considered acceptable, I.E. Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCD's), pushing beyond safe cardiovascular limits in the presence of medical staff, even certain weight loss supplements and aids. Anything to get the first 20 to 30 lbs gone to get them out of the extreme danger zone.

-For most of us, none of these things apply, even for someone who's considered morbidly obese, most of those people aren't in a situation where they're risking immanent death. And I would wager a guess that 99% of us don't have an EMT or doctor waiting 10 feet behind us in case we collapse.

-You have to remember, your deficit should be based on the amount of stored energy you have available to make up the difference. We HAVE to understand what we are trying to accomplish with the deficit. The body will always strive to reach a balance between calories available and calories burned. That balanced IS ALWAYS reached. Sometimes through food eaten, or a combination of food eaten and body fat released, or that plus protein, or all those plus forcing the metabolic rate to slow down to meet the goal.
    That being the case, the more body fat available to the body, the bigger the deficit can be. So someone with 100 lbs of body fat is going to be able to utilize more body fat than someone with 25 lbs of body fat. So someone who is morbidly obese may be able to eat 1200 calories or 1000 calories NET or what ever, where, myself for instance, with about 25 lbs of body fat total and a maintenance of about 2700, can't come even close to that consistently without my body panicking and starting to throttle back energy usage.

Here's where the myth and the fact needs to be separated. The facts are above, the myth says you can gain weight if you eat to little. I generally disagree with that thought process, but there are very infrequent situations where this can appear to be true. How? Well, 1st remember that most people incorrectly calculate some of their statistics and calorie counts, whether that be their exercise calories, or their nutrition, matters little, they're wrong on occasion. That's fine, but when the deficit is to large for their body to handle and they are incorrectly stating their calories, this combines to make them possibly gain a lb or two here and there. I can get deeper into that concept if people like, but generally speaking "starvation mode" or long term underfeeding (greater than 3 days usually) or the famine response or what ever you want to call it is real, it DOES cause hormonal and metabolic changes in the body, and is a problem people on MFP encounter, I've seen it first hand, and I recognize when it happens. Determining the solution is difficult some times, especially for smaller women where the margin for error is very small, but it does happen. You can call things myths all you want, it doesn't change that the only myth is in people's understanding of it, not the term itself.

My plea is this, don't just say "it's a myth" because that perpetuates the "starvation mode is a myth" theory. Say rather something like "starvation mode is real, but many people on here don't understand what it truly is and does.

I've started a separate blog on this topic, and my first post was describing, in detail, the process of long term fasting and underfeeding. You can check it out here if you like, it's long and very technical, but it describes "starvation mode" more fully.

http://banks1850-machinations.blogspot.com/2011/02/inaugural-blog-short-and-long-term.html
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    So this is something that I was very confused about so I asked the trainer at my gym. She's not one of those trainers that just went and got a certificate. She's got her BA and has worked with professional athletes so she is one of very few people that I trust when it comes to weight loss and exercise.

She said that if you are trying to lose weight that you should not be eating the calories that you burn from exercise. It makes exercising a moot point. She said that if you're looking to maintain weight, then it's okay. As far as hitting a plateau, you just need to shock your system and completely switch up your exercise routing once every 1-1.5 months to avoid this from happening.

I see that you've been very successful so do whatever works for you. My sister is also a firm believer in eating the exercise calories. I personally think it makes working out a moot point.

:happy:

the big question, and this is important, is whether you told her that you keep a deficit whether you exercise or not. This is vital and is why MFP is different. You can't just ask your trainer whether it's ok to eat exercise calories, OF COURSE they'll say no, you have to say this: "The website I use to track calories creates a deficit based on my maintenance calories, regardless of whether I exercise or not then exercise calories are added after and the deficit remains the same." I'll bet if you put it that way, if the trainer isn't confused at first (this is not the normal way weight loss is achieved) , they'll then agree that this is fine. I have yet to talk to a trainer, who is correctly briefed on how MFP works, that disagreed with the process. They may not like the way it's model works, and would rather choose another way to achieve a deficit, that's fine, but the concept of creating a specific deficit to lose weight and keeping that deficit regardless of exercise, is a perfectly reasonable and valid concept.