Here is what it looks like when you lose 1/3rd of your body

Options
Hi everyone,

Even though I haven't reached my goal yet, I'm nearing 100lbs lost. In fact, as of my doctors visit on Monday, I was a scant 4lbs away from reaching that milestone, and I haven't yet posted any pics, so I thought it was about time to pat myself on the back after the doctor told me to!

Here is me, circa this exact time last year.

5PMTH.png

OcFPl.png

I looked horrible. I felt horrible. I was at 301lbs and spiraling out of control, if you can consider 300lbs in control. I have a family history of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, all that fun stuff. Finally, something in me last summer made me decide that I needed to change before it was too late. I can't tell you exactly what it was that made me finally get started. Part of it was my wife's influence - she found MFP to try and help me. Part of it was wanting to be healthy enough to run around after my 2 year old without getting winded. Part of it was wanting to get back involved in playing soccer (can you believe the beached whale in those pictures ever played soccer?). Part of it was not wanting to die before I hit the age of 30. Part of it was wanting to look in the mirror and not hate what I see.

So, middle of last June, I committed to really try MFP as a diet and lifestyle plan. Didn't cut out a single food completely except for soda, and processed junk food (ie, candy bars and the like). I've still been able to eat my favorite foods (not as much, and not as frequently), still been able to drink alcohol (not as much, not as frequently) and still been able to do everything, basically. The only other thing I did besides count calories on MFP was walk 30-45 minutes a day, every day, up until winter hit, which pushed me back into the 3-4 times a week range.

Since that time, I've lost 96lbs. As of my weigh in on Monday, I was down to 205lbs from the initial 301. Over that time, I've dropped from a size 46 to size 36-38 (depending on brand, etc) jean. I've dropped from 2XL to L/XL shirts. My BMI has dropped from the high end of obese to middle/low end of overweight, and I'm closing in on "normal" each passing week. I can walk miles and miles without getting tired, I sleep better, and I feel so much better. I tire less easily. Pretty much everyone in my life has noticed, and it's funny seeing friends who don't see me as often react so positively and seem so shocked.

Ok, enough stalling, here are some "after" pictures (even though I'm not yet at my goal of 170):
[apologies in advance - had to take these with my laptop on a timer, wish I had some better angles, but I think the difference is apparent]

Me, modeling the same shirt in the pictures above:
ipdqN.jpg
Could probably fit two of me in there now.

A side profile
cwVLP.jpg

Front view
krOo7.jpg

Old shorts
f8n5x.jpg

The amazing disappearing double chin
Mxry6.jpg

Some thoughts:

Guys can have body image issues, too, I've discovered. I know it sounds crazy, but when I look in the mirror, I still see the old body, sometimes, or I don't perceive the very obvious changes that others do.

Guys out there, you can do this too, all it takes is getting started. ANYone can.

Some stuff I've picked up along the way: don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day, but don't let a bad day turn into two bad days turn into a week of bad eating. Treat yourself from time to time, but a treat is special, or it's not a treat. Make some MFP friends, get some accountability somehow. Let people in your life know you've made a commitment to do this, show them you're serious, and let them be something you can lean on to draw strength. Exercise is just as important as the diet part! Don't skip it, you'll feel better afterwards, and less hungry, too. Finally: drink water, and only water, if you can handle that. I don't have any scientific way of proving it, but I'm sure just quitting soda helped me drop a good portion of this weight.

Replies

• britlew
    britlew Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thats awesome!! congratulations on such an accomplishment
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    bloody hell.
    wow
    just wow.
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow - amazing difference. Well done on your acheivements so far. Love the fact you haven't really cut out too many foods either :smile:
  • hunterzmomma
    Options
    you look amazing!!
  • dadsgirl87
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Sweet!~ Good job!
  • shirtswiththumbholes
    shirtswiththumbholes Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!! You look amazing!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    That is so amazing! Well done, sir!
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Thanks for posting the before and after pics. What an inspiration!
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Congrats !!!
  • A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great! Great Job :flowerforyou:
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! What a great accomplishment!
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Truly amazing!!!... You look great!, What a difference!~ Congrats!!!
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    Congratulations!
    Kim
  • judes91
    judes91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great! This is should definitely be motivation to everyone out there to get healthy and fit! Good luck and I hope you hit your goal weight soon :0)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    You essentially told my story, I went from 280 to 210 in 7 months. I also quit pop and I don't drink alcohol. However, you are much further than me in the learning curve as it took me 5 years to learn to eat better to keep the weight off. Congrats on your results.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness!!! Well done, I am VERY proud of you!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Amazing job man! I started around 280-300. Now down to around 270. Hoping to hit the 200 mark by the end of Aug.

Your photos make me wanna jump off here and start today's workout!
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow! You must be so proud and happy! Thrilled for you! Thanks so much for sharing! So motivating! I'm going to show my husband this! He's overweight and I'm trying to get him just walking with me each day! Thank-you for your inspiration!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

Some stuff I've picked up along the way: don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day, but don't let a bad day turn into two bad days turn into a week of bad eating. Treat yourself from time to time, but a treat is special, or it's not a treat.

Especially love this! My thoughts exactly :) Great Great Amazing work!!! keep it up, you are doing fabulous!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!