Lose 5+ pounds in March? You bet we can!!!!

Options

Replies

• Danoodle
    Danoodle Posts: 30
    Options
    I've given up most of the bad stuff when I started this new lifestyle anyway. Other than my birthday weekend (I repeat, it was a goooood weekend) I haven't had bread, rice, sugar, soda, caffeine or alcohol since February 13th. I noticed that I started using too much salt again, so maybe for the remainder of this week I'll be [added] salt free.

wow! How do you DOOO that?? way to go girl! no bread or rice or sugar?

Ok- I don't think I have the will power to do what tsgaddy has done........so I will give up any form of white bread, white rice, non-whole wheat pasta, etc. and drink more water

something new......I will try to run uphill every morning at the gym
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options
    My energy is just ZAPPED. I've worked out a total of twice all week (normally I do 2x/day!). This cold is kicking my butt. My kids had it--still do but on the end side (hopefully). But now I have it and boy, it's not one of those awful, "can't breathe" colds, but is the energy stripping, generally feeling weak kind where you feel like your eyeballs are gonna pop out of your head.

TOM on top of that too. Yuck.

So I'm just plugging along, trying to eat well although I really have no appetite at all. A friend just had her wisdom teeth extracted and so I went to McD's for her to get a milkshake and caved and got a quarter pounder and fries. I hardly ate the fries--they didn't even taste good! (and I normally LOVE fries). The burger wasn't great at all either, but I ate it anyways (grrr...). Came home and directly went on the toilet (TMI sorry). So, I know that my body just can't handle that stuff anymore. Good lesson--especially knowing that it doesn't even TASTE good anymore. ;) Not worried about the cals though as I've barely eaten all week--it won't make a difference. ;)

Anyways, I barely have energy to play with the girls or clean my house so I'm just scratching this week off and not stressing about it. Monday is a new day and hopefully after a restful weekend, I'll feel better. That's the plan. Lots of water and movies coming my way. ;)
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    Nadyasmom - I hope you'll feel better soon. Enjoy your movies. :-)
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I've given up most stuff too. I've not eaten bread, pasta, rice or potatoes (anything starchy) for a year now. I don't miss it either. I don't think I can give up chocolate!! I'm not fanatic about it but I have to eat small amounts of it the week before my time of month otherwise I'd go a bit nuts. >_<

My new thing will be this 30 day shred exercise video that I'm going to do as much as I can. Fingers crossed!
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I totally forgot to post this week! But this is my weight from Tuesday.

Screen name: JenWorthen3
    Goal for March 31st: 6 pounds
    March1st (starting weight): 174
    March 8th: 173
    March 15th: 171
    March 22nd:
    March 29th:
    March 31st:

Yay! Down 2 this week! Since I'm logging so late I'm already down more, but I'll count it for next weeks post. I guess there really is hope that I'll reach my goal!
  • tsgaddy
    tsgaddy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've given up most of the bad stuff when I started this new lifestyle anyway. Other than my birthday weekend (I repeat, it was a goooood weekend) I haven't had bread, rice, sugar, soda, caffeine or alcohol since February 13th. I noticed that I started using too much salt again, so maybe for the remainder of this week I'll be [added] salt free.

wow! How do you DOOO that?? way to go girl! no bread or rice or sugar?

Ok- I don't think I have the will power to do what tsgaddy has done........so I will give up any form of white bread, white rice, non-whole wheat pasta, etc. and drink more water

something new......I will try to run uphill every morning at the gym

It's super hard. I grew up in a family where we eat to celebrate evvvverything and chocolate was a food group, but I started working with a trainer who put me on a strict diet to start. Eventually I'll be able to incorporate some stuff back in, but for now it's hands off. I guess the fact that I'm paying her ($91/month which includes weekly weigh ins, meal plan, support and 1 hour intense work out sessions 3x's/week) makes me more motivated.

She also banned sugar substitutes because she said that it makes you crave sugar. I'm starting to think that she's right, because I don't have the mid-afternoon sugar craving like I used to. If I do, I have a piece of fruit (but I'm only allowed 2 servings of fruit per day, including my 1/2 grapefruit first thing in the morning)
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I gave up juice which is my absolute weakness and always put me over my sugar daily! I'm also trying to get more sleep at night (at least 7 hrs as oppose to my normal 4-5 hrs). My husband forced me to take 2 consecutive rest days this week because I was just overworking my muscles. Since Jan 3 til now (2 mths later) I only took 3 rest days which took a toll on my body. I really feel a different now and didn't understand the important of rest days. I was skeptical with not making my goal last month with the 10 lb challenge, but I feel a little more confident the month of March. :happy:

I hope everyone marches on to their goals and sticks with it no matter what loss you get! Focus and it's all about you and your health!
  • Picky_nikki
    Picky_nikki Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Okay... just confessing... I drank a diet pepsi lime. I wasn't even thinking of it. Yet Last night I made sure to bring my water to work a volunteer shift a the community theatre. (So I wouldn't be tempted to have a fountain one... err!) Back on track now!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    samcee
    I've given up most stuff too. I've not eaten bread, pasta, rice or potatoes (anything starchy) for a year now. I don't miss it either. I don't think I can give up chocolate!! I'm not fanatic about it but I have to eat small amounts of it the week before my time of month otherwise I'd go a bit nuts. >_<

My new thing will be this 30 day shred exercise video that I'm going to do as much as I can. Fingers crossed!
    this is pretty much the same with me...not even chocolate is tempting enough, but my biggest weakness has been salt. I WAS DOING GREAT UNTIL I GAVE IT UP FOR LENT! 4 days of sodium, so that'll be my new focus for the remaining days...fingers, also crossed!

new thing has been grapefruit, fresh and 100% juice (NEVER w/in 2 hrs of meds), esp in the a.m. before BodyPump :wink:
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    aaarrrrgggghhhhh I stayed the same ?!?!?!
    I did have 2 not so great days when TOM arrived and he is still here so I am guessing thats why :(
    so still 138lbs for me :(
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    OK.. for the challenge what I am giving up....a bedtime snack. I have a habit of eating a bedtime snack, usually only 100 or so calories (but not always) but still.....not needed.
    For something new.....walking. I haven't been doing ANY type of exercise (I had surgery recently) so I will start walking this week. Good luck to everybody!!
  • 2Young4This
    2Young4This Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm loving everyone's something old (as in give up) and something new...
    Maybe next week we should do something borrowed, something blue!

I've done well on mine so far. I haven't bought any cookies and I'm determined to break the habit. Unfortunately I had a bit of a binge on cr@p yesterday and then did GBK today (a UK burger place) but I have been working out in the gym. I still have food "issues" that I am working on (hence the binges. Does anyone else feel like they still have the same issues even when they have lost weight? I have lost 44 or whatever pounds but I still can't buy a packet of cookies or sweets or whatever without eating the whole lot. Wow I have never said that before!! The only way I can stop myself from eating the whole pack is not buying them but I tell myself I can have one or two but it never works. I would love to be able to buy a whole packet of something and it not to even cross my mind to eat the whole lot. This greed / loss of control is the reason I got to the weight I did and is the reason I am not at my goal weight.
    The other thing I do which I have NEVER talked about is if I think no-one will know I will buy loads of stuff or eat loads of stuff and then hide the evidence. It's like I no it's wrong but I get a buzz from doing it. Also if it is a secret then it's not that bad... as in it's not that embarrassing. Silly hey!

So... my questions are ... how do you buy a packet of something and not eat the lot? And does anyone do the secret eating thing? Let's really air the stuff that we do and maybe we can all get to the bottom of all this.

The further I get along with this journey the more I realise is a mental / emotional journey and not really a physical one.

Anyway I thought I would share.

PS It is good to be back in the land of the living. For the last 6 weeks I have been burying my head in the sand and not dealing with all this.
  • cls413
    cls413 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The other thing I do which I have NEVER talked about is if I think no-one will know I will buy loads of stuff or eat loads of stuff and then hide the evidence. It's like I no it's wrong but I get a buzz from doing it. Also if it is a secret then it's not that bad... as in it's not that embarrassing. Silly hey!

I have ALWAYS done the secret eating thing. Biggest example is I used to order a pizza for lunch while my husband was at work, eat the entire thing, and then throw the box out in the dumpster before he got home. Or (and this is really embarrassing) I would make up a batch of cookie dough and eat it raw, and then wash and dry everything I'd dirtied so there would be no evidence.

Since starting MFP I have done the pizza-lunch a couple times, but even if I'm keeping it secret from the world, I still make sure to log everything. It's really eye opening to see when I eat my entire day's calories in one sitting. And to think, this is how I used to eat ALL THE TIME!
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    OK what am I going to give up?!?!?!?!
    ermmmm think it will have to be my biscuits with my cup of tea in the evening - normally only have rich tea but will give those up!

New thing to try will be................. fitness tv workouts - not done any yet always use my dvds :) - nothing special but couldnt think of anything lol - theres always loads of workouts on there!
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    2Young4This :
    I understand about the not being able to stop at one. I still love snacking...I do not crave chips anymore, but cookies have been my downfall since I began this weight loss journey, especially over this past month.. I though having one would satisfy my craving...but then I want another one. I do not know what my body is going through right now. I am also going through my second TOM, in 3 weeks. So maybe my body is just out of whack right now. I hope it is a phase and can get through this. I'm in it to lose the weight for good!
  • JD92
    JD92 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, well i did, but hopefully im working through it!

i was never the type who could buy a pack of something and save most for later. i binged my way through cookies and donuts etc. thankfully its fading a little. ive found the willpower i never had before (not eating was a struggle in the past), and thats what, i feel, is making this weight loss successful for me.

for instance, my lovely dad buys me food to take up to my dorm each weekend when he is doing his own shopping for the house. he always insists on getting me things. a few weeks ago i was given two full boxes of Belvita biscuits. now i remember an incident in the past when this happened, and i scarfed my way through the full box late one night. i couldnt stop. now? ive still got one full box and a few packs in the other, and this is WEEKS later.

my past self would be shocked!

also, i have a serious love for ben and jerrys icecream. id by a tub and polish it all off. on thursday night just past, not only was it low fat that i bought, but i only had half of it! thats growth, for me :laugh:
  • elainio
    elainio Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm loving everyone's something old (as in give up) and something new...
    Maybe next week we should do something borrowed, something blue!

I've done well on mine so far. I haven't bought any cookies and I'm determined to break the habit. Unfortunately I had a bit of a binge on cr@p yesterday and then did GBK today (a UK burger place) but I have been working out in the gym. I still have food "issues" that I am working on (hence the binges. Does anyone else feel like they still have the same issues even when they have lost weight? I have lost 44 or whatever pounds but I still can't buy a packet of cookies or sweets or whatever without eating the whole lot. Wow I have never said that before!! The only way I can stop myself from eating the whole pack is not buying them but I tell myself I can have one or two but it never works. I would love to be able to buy a whole packet of something and it not to even cross my mind to eat the whole lot. This greed / loss of control is the reason I got to the weight I did and is the reason I am not at my goal weight.

So... my questions are ... how do you buy a packet of something and not eat the lot? And does anyone do the secret eating thing? Let's really air the stuff that we do and maybe we can all get to the bottom of all this.

The further I get along with this journey the more I realise is a mental / emotional journey and not really a physical one.

Anyway I thought I would share.

PS It is good to be back in the land of the living. For the last 6 weeks I have been burying my head in the sand and not dealing with all this.

2young4this you are soooo brave for telling us all this. I really feel for you. In december before I started this journey I would buy crisps and chocolate to eat on the train to my boyfriends house on a Saturday. I did this because I stay with him every Sat and Sun night and because he eats so well I would know I wouldnt get any junk until the monday.

I also used to eat several slices of tiger/bakery bread in the kitchen when making lunch for the two of us. I was just eating it for the sake of it but would hide it, even thro it in the bin if I thought I head him coming into the kitchen...

I havent done either of these things since I started my healthy lifestyle on the 4th of Janurary but it is a mental struggle every time I am in the kitchen or supermarket. I dont buy any biscuits or crisps (unless it is boots shapers ones) because I also cannot stop eating them until the packet is done. It doesnt bother me so much in the supermarket now as I look at the calorie content of every packet I buy so it just doesnt seem worth it. I now dont crave any of the rubbish I used to eat and would much rather have fruit or something when I'm hungry. I drink a load of water which keeps me going through the day but I do still really want white bread some time :)

If anyone knows how to buys a packet of cookies and not eat the whole lot in one go then please let me know because I would love to know the secret!!!

Ex
  • bri293
    bri293 Posts: 92
    Options
    I've been out of town for the past week so I haven't been on the boards much at all, but I loved reading what everyone posted about giving stuff up. I'm going to give up soda. It's my big weakness. I always include it in my calories but I know that it's not good for me and could make a big difference in losing some weight (which I desparately need because I've been on such a major plateau the past couple months). So from now on I'm going to try to give it up completely.

As for trying something new, I'm going to start running (outdoors). I did it last spring and summer and I started to really enjoy it. Then the cold weather came along and I got lazy and started only working out inside. The weather is starting to get nicer so that should be a great motivator. I'm hoping that this well help shake up my workout routine and help me see more results.

Good luck to everyone on weigh in this week, we're just a couple weigh ins away from the end of March. I hope many of us reach or come close to our goals for this month!
  • 2Young4This
    2Young4This Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words you guys... I guess it's an ongoing battle!

JD90... how did you stop doing it?!?!

Who is ready for the weigh in tomorrow? We also have our last challenge to complete. Does anyone have any ideas? I think we should continue with our something olds something news though.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words you guys... I guess it's an ongoing battle!

JD90... how did you stop doing it?!?!

Who is ready for the weigh in tomorrow? We also have our last challenge to complete. Does anyone have any ideas? I think we should continue with our something olds something news though.

I'm ready for the weigh in tomorrow. I'm feeling positive about my numbers, not going to meet last weeks numbers though.

I like the something old, something new idea. I didn't get around to participating this past week because I just couldn't think of what I'd give up that I hadn't already given up. Then it hit me yesterday as I was stepping on the scale for the 5th time of the day. I need to stop weighing myself all the damned time.

So for next week I'm going to give up my scale. Not sure about what to do for the something new yet, but I'll think of something.