What kind of bread do you eat?

Options

Replies

• sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lately - pumperknickel bread - it's soooooo good for breakfast with almond butter and 1/2 a banana - my son and I eat it whenever we don't have oatmeal :)
  • joycemhall
    joycemhall Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I eat Sarah Lee 100% multigrain. Only 45 calories a slice and it's delicious
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You never want it to say enriched nor have sugar as one of your first ingredients. This is what I've been told many of times by trainers and nutritionist. I buy Ezekiel bread. Its not cheap and if you can't buy it then I get Nature's Own 100% whole wheat. I think thats the one. Stone ground is the first ingredient on there.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,263 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Love it! And the Nutty-Grain!
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Earthgrains. 35 calories per slice.

Stefilily, I don't know what Earthgrains you get but I know all their plain breads have 100 calories per slice. Earthgrains does make a sandwich thin (which tastes pretty floury to me, but a good choice if you're watching calories) but that's 100 caloires for the whole thing (so 50 calories for half of one).

Arnold is good too.
    Or you could make your own bread! That wouldn't reduce the calories, but you'd be putting what YOU wanted into it instead of having extra sugars or whatever.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Watch out with some of those breads tho like sarah lee, alot of them have high fuctose corn syrup, also some say wheat but really they have white flour. u really need to look at ingredients

I read somewhere (Cooking Light, I think) that the "white-wheat" breads are made with albino wheat which is what makes them appear white. I don't think that's the same as tricking people. I do agree, though. Look at the ingredients.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i get the sara lee 45 calorie bread, orawheat sandwich thin 90 calories or the flatout flatbread 90 calories. i make rollups and veggie pizzas with the flatbread. sandwiches and little pizzas with the sandwich thins. sometimes i even eat the sandwich thins right out of the package. they fill me up and for some odd reason i don't feel as guilty eating one of them as i do eating the same 90 calories eating a granola bar or special k bar.
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    i dont really like wheat bread much so i usually have woner or sara lee whole grain white bread
  • eliana51
    eliana51 Posts: 7
    Options
    I love Arnold's :happy: whole wheat and Sandwichthins Whole bread.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread (original) or thomas whole wheat english muffin in the morning
  • meanbmc
    meanbmc Posts: 28
    Options
    i do the wheat bread, whole wheat preferred. i'm trying to get off all things white, so this is where i started. now my whole family prefers the wheat bread! :)
  • DaveNix
    DaveNix Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Orowheat Heath-full 10-grain. The Hearty Wheat is good too.

BB_Sliced_Healthfull_10Grain_Label.gif

I'm not focused so much on the calories, as also on the sodium, carbs, fats, etc.

This was one of the better ones I could find, without going to a specialty bread.

We just found this one as well, it's a nice quality, and the slices are about 1/3 bigger than the sara Lee 45 cal/slice bread. It makes for a nice, filling sandwich.

Anyone want a breadmaker? :) (THIN slices of our home made white were running about 120-150 cals each. I made my wife a PB&J one day that turned out to be about a 450 calorie BOMB... whoops.)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any bread, can't find any worth the calories. I do occasionally eat a sourdough english muffin though.
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    I don't eat any bread, can't find any worth the calories. I do occasionally eat a sourdough english muffin though.
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    oops double post!!
  • Carolynsb3
    Options
    It stinks because I really LOVE bread. Funny how my favorite foods are the ones I shouldn't have.
    I can't eat bread. It makes me into a shark an hour later. My eyes roll back in my head and I start devouring everything in sight. Even the healthy breads do that to me. I can deal with corn tortillas and that is about it.

sounds like me! lol
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OK, I know this may sound arrogant, and I REALLY don't intend it, but here it goes: I lived the first 25 years of my life in Germany and then the next 12 in France, and then moved to the UK and then to the US, and I have a hell of a hard time getting used to considering bread as something that's wrapped in plastic, has an ingredients list as long as my arm and lives on a supermarket shelf. The first few weeks in the UK I wondered what on earth people ate (surely not the sliced squishy stuff?!) and resorted to crumpets. Anyhow, I still try to avoid buying anything like that when I can help it, however fortified it may be. I DO like dark rye + multigrain bread German-style (which comes pre-sliced). UK supermarkets have quite juicy products, all-organic, from Schneider Brot (imported). It's about 150 cal or thereabouts a large, filling slice (plus/minus 20).

Here in the US, one kind of "Como" style white light sourdough bread they sell at Safeway isn't bad. A local bakery, which specializes in bagels my (Jewish) partner somewhat scoffs at, does however bake really nice breads. The German Rye sold out quickly, but I got a very nice loaf of sourdough -- a bit heavier and sourer than the Como bread, and not quite what my partner likes, but hey! She is into Thomas English muffins, which do smell heavenly when toasted.

I know bread can be treacherous if consumed in excess (high in calories), so I limit myself to 1 slice and put something high in protein on top to stave off hunger. A typical breakfast might be a slice of sourdough bread with 80-120g of 2% cottage cheese, some pepper and a tomato, for 250-300 cal.

Another nice thing is Wasa crispbread, followed by Ryvita. Good with a half-TBSP of peanut butter for a snack. High in fiber and low in fat.

So bottom line, I like breads that are closest to the raw ingredients. Bread baking traditions are an awesome achievement of human culture, and I want to keep partaking!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I eat Ezekial Sprouted 100% Whole Grain bread from the freezer of the all natural section. It is 100% whole grain (one of the best out there), no preservatives, and no atrifical substances. I like that it is frozen because I cannot eat a whole loaf in a week and it is frozen because it doesn't have preservatives to keep it fresh. I just pull out two slices and thaw them then make a sandwich.
  • quoyle
    quoyle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Squirelly bread rules!