Just Starting, and family already annoyed.

Options
Today is day three of logging in food, and my minimal exercise. I love the barcode scanner on my phone. I LOVE the fact that at the end of the day is says "if everyday was like today you'll be.... in 5 weeks." It's so encouraging.

However, I tend to obsess over current things in my life. I've been telling my poor husband how many calories i'm over, if I get enough protein. How hydrated I am and how much water I have.

Today I tried to talk about how I got too much cholesterol... And the response definitely told me "Ive had enough!"

Anyone else's family getting annoyed about your new found notice of food and carbs and protein and sugar, etc?

Replies

• sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    Just come on MFP and tell us all about it!! lol
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try something positive, like "I exercised for 20 minutes, and it felt soooooo good." and leave it at that.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. My husband would never say as much but I can see his eyes glazing over. Had my retinas scanned last week and went to supermarket after but eyes were blurry and couldn't read the labels. Husband had to read it all for me and it took about an hour to get a dozen items hahaha. Think he quite likes me being up early at weekends for the gym so he gets a lie in with the bed to himself tho
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    My husband rolls his eyes at me in a jokey way when I stand reading labels on everything in shops. But honestly, he's learnt that this is the new me - I will always be checking the labels out otherwise I'll end up back at the start again!!
  • misslo718
    misslo718 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Barcode scanner? how am i missing this? is this on iphone4?
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    Barcode scanner? how am i missing this? is this on iphone4?

Its on the Android app!!!
  • kcmckillip
    kcmckillip Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been very lucky because my husband has been very supportive, but I do find myself obsessing way more than I should. It hasn't gone away in nearly a month!

I've tried to obsess a little bit less, otherwise I will drive myself crazy!:smile:
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of family members that seemed annoyed when I mention calories and the new things that I had learned when I first started. They didnt really say much but had that look like they thought I was acting like I knew it all.. so I kinda felt like I was bragging about it so I just stopped telling them and kept it to myself. I use to feel like I bother my husband when I first started but I honestly think he didnt think I would stick to it and was kind of jealous that i was making some changes and he wasnt. Now he is supportive and doesnt act that way anymore. Dont let it discourage you from making those life changes.. it will be all worth it in the long run :)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I got my fiancee readling labels now, because of me. :laugh:
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Everyone is on board in my house, we are all training for something or trying to do better. Once in awhile, my son will comment about" only water or milk is in the house to drink", but My journey is to become better....Nothing can get in the way of that.

I agree come on here and tell us about it!
  • etpx3
    etpx3 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just come on MFP and tell us all about it!! lol

AGREED! we're all here to listen and give feedback... ;) he's just jealous he's not on top of it like you are =) hehe
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Well....honestly, he is your husband and I am sure there are things he talks to you about that you could give a crap about. But you listen. Tell him you would like his support in this lifestyle change so you can bug him for the next 50 years with your numbers...lol....Come on here and tell us about it. My hubby is doing this with me so he doesnt act like that. We talk together about it. That is what MFP friends are here for.......
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    My family/friends were annoyed at first too.... That was 2 years ago. Screw them. Take care of yourself.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    My family/friends were annoyed at first too.... That was 2 years ago. Screw them. Take care of yourself.
  • jeyoung03
    jeyoung03 Posts: 83
    Options
    In my case my boyfriend is trying to help me big time, since we mostly eat almost all our meals together. (This is where i believe a lot of my bad eating comes from and my weight gain because we are comfortable together, and when we once broke up for 4 months I lost almost 20lbs while watching what I eat, not that I'm putting all the blame on him I am the one who is eating the food!) But the only problem is when he is trying to help, he says things like "no", "do you really want to eat that", and I'm stubborn (there I said it!) and I hate when people tell me no or that I can't do something! So we are working out a way to come up with something, but still haven't found it.

I'm sorry to hear your support system isn't there. Maybe buddy up with someone on here, and chat about how your food dairy is going! Since we all want the same thing here! good luck with your weight loss! And if you want to chat feel free to message me, since this is like a new facebook for me! hehe :)
  • JaXXster
    JaXXster Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the bar code scanner on Android (HTC).

Being single I don't have anyone rolling their eyes at me or telling me they've had enough but I'm boring my friends on Facebook!!! :-) Luckily 3 of the girls in my office joined with me so we can talk about it all day abd encourage each other.
  • suzykitty
    suzykitty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, my husband and I were in a 5 day no speaking jag a week or so ago. He's totally annoyed with all my calorie counting, label reading and exercising! I think he's jealous of me spending time doing something for me!
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options

Second this!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I was excited too when I started and wanted to share my success. Now, after 11 months, I only share if asked, because I learned people don't really want to hear if they are not ready. You can't force it on them, so explain if asked, continue to a deeper explanation if they seem interested and share it all with the people on MFP. :wink:
  • jazzminx
    jazzminx Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm always apologizing to my husband when I go on a rant about exercise and my calories (which I do often) He just smiles and tells me he doesn't mind, even though we both know he doesn't care beyond wanting me to feel better about myself.