Replies

• jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Totaly nude,tanning bed and outside
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Tan or pale, by the way, has nothing to do with beauty. There are beautiful women in MFP in every shade imaginable.

As for the health risk, I am fairly certain that it is the bad sunburns that contiribute more heavily to skin cancer than tanning.

There is no difference between tanning in the sun and tanning in a bed. A tan is actually damage to the skin. It gets darker because the melanocytes have to work hard to protect your precious skkin from burning. Regardless of wether it's from the sun or a bulb, when the skin darkens, it has been damaged.

"The World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) announced today that it has moved UV tanning beds to its highest cancer risk category -- "carcinogenic to humans.""

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20090728/who-tanning-beds-cause-cancer

Personally, I choose health. I am fine with how I was made and I intend to live happy and healthy regardless of the latest trends in fashion. The girls I know who tan look 10 years older than they are. I'm always mistaken for a teenager and I'm 32. Once, a stranger thought my friend was my mom, and she is 4 years younger than me.

I'd rather live a full and happy life looking like a pasty. I actually think tanning makes people look ugly. Some people have tanned so much that they no longer tan evenly because their melanocytes have been totally damaged. The skin is the largest, yet most abused organ of the human body. People don't even think of it as an organ. It is there to protect us and keep everything in and out. It is vital to our immune system. If you take good care of your skin, it will take good care of you.

Thats just my 2 cents.

It is a choice. I am farly certain that the tanning I do each year is less damaging than the burns I would sustain riding my motorcycle. Even with Sunscreen, I burn, when I am on a long run over the summer. I have never had a bad burn since I was a teenager in the late 1960's. I have two bad habits; tanning and cigars. I'm probaly going to tan until I give my motorcycle up. Which means ...Never. And I am going to smoke cigars until someone makes me stop. Which means...Never.

That's just my 2 cents.

I'm not criticizing your choice. Just concerned that there are alot of people who believe that tanning beds are safer than the sun, so I wanted to give the correct information.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I will fake bake with the spray on tan :). I am a redhead so there is no point in me paying to burn in a tanning bed...plus I have this crazy fear of skin cancer...lol.

The spray tan works perfect for me so it's all good.
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I did just go to the stand up tanning bed last month to get a bit more color since I was going to a formal event & was wearing a sleeveless gown. I only went 3 times. I hadn't been to a tanning bed in over 10 years. However - I still wore my sunscreen in the booth. I tan extremely easily, always have - wonderful olive skin thanks to my daddy! I wear sunscreen on my face 365 days a year, no matter what. I love my face & I like the compliments I get from people about how great my skin is!

I'm normally pretty tan all winter long, as I head to the Caribbean in the fall & keep a tan pretty well. I also tan outside all summer long....lots of time out on the boat or in my pool. But you will not catch me without my sunscreen....EVER. :smokin:
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    No tanning for me. I used to when I was younger, but I wish I hadn't done that now.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've only had one tanning bed experience and I didn't enjoy it very much! I felt like my butt was on fire that whole 15 minutes. So that was my first and only time tanning.

I get my tan just by being outdoors in the summer... bbqing, running/walking, lounging on the deck, etc.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I tan a couple times a week from about April - June, just to get a base tan. About 5-6 minutes in the bed, completely nude. (Except for those little glasses) When summer starts, I stop going because I'm outside all the time with the kids, and I end up getting a little more tan. Fun topic!! ♥♥
  • lesliekae
    lesliekae Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The amount of radiation one recieves in 30 minutes of tanning (in a bed) is more than a full series of medical x-rays. That seems like a silly choice to me in the name of vanity especially when in the long run it will age you more. I have no objections to spray tan eventhough I have never tried it. It sounds like a safer alternative. I am extremely pale and I burn easily but I perfer to get my tan from reasonable dosages of sunshine. I wear my sunscreen whenever I think I will be getting more than 25 minutes of direct sunshine because I think healthy looking skin no matter what shade is prettier than leathery looking uv damaged skin.
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    Nooooooo, no skin cancer for me, thanks, so tanning beds are out, and I don't care for the way spray tanning looks. I'm super pale and I'm just fine with that, I'd look weird with a strong tan given my colouring, anyway. By the end of summer I do have a light natural tan (mostly because I spend a lot of the time at the beach - SO humid here in the summer - and I'm topless there, so everything besides what's covered by my bikini bottom is exposed. I use a ridiculous amount of sunscreen, though (think reapplying every hour ridiculous), because again, not into the idea of skin cancer.

:heart: -- Juliet
  • BellySoonGone
    Options
    Got the "Seattle Tan" baby - yeah
    Seattle tan? what's that?
    Come visit Seattle you'll see what I am talking about. November would be the best month for that though..:laugh: