Replies

• spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    bumpity bump for tomorrow..
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well that's a downer...I'm at about 25.4%? My BMI is 19.5%. I am 5'9" and about 132lbs, and in really good shape. I thought I would be a little lower than that....so what do I do differently to lower my body fat %??I mainly do yoga, and I dance (Irish). I occasionally get on our elliptical, but I don't strength train. I am borderline "above average" for my height. I would love to get it to the lean range of 17-22%. Or is that something I won't be able to do unless I strength train?? Sorry, not sure if anyone can answer this question on this thread.... :flowerforyou:

I don't think it'd hurt to try strength training! There are many benefits to it, such as burning more calories at rest since muscle is more metabolically active. And sculpting your muscles gives you a more lean look. =)

bump as well!
  • fitness_warrior83
    Options
    bump
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Or you could use one of the dozens of bodyfat calculators on the internet and use one of them. A whole lot easier
  • Falisha13
    Falisha13 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fouchou09
    fouchou09 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    great info! Thanks!
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Better than I thought! 28% still very high, but within the acceptable range.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Well that's a downer...I'm at about 25.4%? My BMI is 19.5%. I am 5'9" and about 132lbs, and in really good shape. I thought I would be a little lower than that....so what do I do differently to lower my body fat %??I mainly do yoga, and I dance (Irish). I occasionally get on our elliptical, but I don't strength train. I am borderline "above average" for my height. I would love to get it to the lean range of 17-22%. Or is that something I won't be able to do unless I strength train?? Sorry, not sure if anyone can answer this question on this thread.... :flowerforyou:

I don't think it'd hurt to try strength training! There are many benefits to it, such as burning more calories at rest since muscle is more metabolically active. And sculpting your muscles gives you a more lean look. =)

bump as well!

Thanks so much...can it be done at home or do I need to go to a gym? As you can tell, I am slightly out of my comfort zone with this! I have weights at home, but they are just small hand weights. TIA!
  • missyjmet
    missyjmet Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i did the calculations and I am at 24% body fat, which is what i have gotten in the past with the caliper pinchers. My goal is to get it down to 22%. Thanks for the post!!
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

bump as well!

Thanks so much...can it be done at home or do I need to go to a gym? As you can tell, I am slightly out of my comfort zone with this! I have weights at home, but they are just small hand weights. TIA!

Google "Body Weight Exercises". You are your own best "weight machine".
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    bump...sorry, want to save it too for when I'm done with shred :smile:
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • swim018
    swim018 Posts: 15
    Options
    Bump
  • skinnyb450
    skinnyb450 Posts: 288
    Options
    :smile: Bump for later :) Thanks!
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Diet_Hell
    Diet_Hell Posts: 34
    Options
    Sorry.............another annoying bump!
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just joined MFP and looking for tips and advice...
    This is great but can anyone help me to save it for later? Daft question, I'm sure, sorry in advance but I want to try it out later.

So I was curious about this and this equation works awesome!! Takes a calculator and some math skills (basic math skills) but worth the the information to know. So this told me where I will be when I am in shape at the proper weight. Since i figured at the rate I was going I was still gonna be overweight or obese on the BMI scale. I know I will only lose 12 pounds total to be a healthy weight. So do this so you know where healthy is so you dont over shoot and become unhealthy.

Body Fat Formula For Women
    Factor 1 (Total body weight x 0.732) + 8.987
    Factor 2 Wrist measurement (at fullest point) / 3.140
    Factor 3 Waist measurement (at naval) x 0.157
    Factor 4 Hip measurement (at fullest point) x 0.249
    Factor 5 Forearm measurement (at fullest point) x 0.434
    Lean Body Mass Factor 1 + Factor 2 - Factor 3 - Factor 4 + Factor 5
    Body Fat Weight Total bodyweight - Lean Body Mass
    Body Fat Percentage (Body Fat Weight x 100) / total bodyweight

Body Fat Formula For Men
    Factor 1 (Total body weight x 1.082) + 94.42
    Factor 2 Waist measurement x 4.15
    Lean Body Mass Factor 1 - Factor 2
    Body Fat Weight Total bodyweight - Lean Body Mass
    Body Fat Percentage (Body Fat Weight x 100) / total bodyweight
  • partcho
    partcho Posts: 225
    Options
    bumping the *kitten* out of this one! Good info, thanks !
    ditto!