No eating Fruit to help lose those pounds!!!

Replies

• diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    The point is just to kick start an over-burn in fat burn.

there is no evidence scientifically that this happens, you are not kick starting a fat burn at all.......
  • janeande
    janeande Posts: 1 Member
    I was just told something similar a few weeks ago when my weight loss had stalled. I was taking in way too much sugar; much of it from fresh fruits. It made sense to me so I adjusted my diet accordingly and the weight starting coming off again! If you really want the fruit, stick to the "berries" - much lower sugar.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    The point is just to kick start an over-burn in fat burn.

there is no evidence scientifically that this happens, you are not kick starting a fat burn at all.......

Actually, if you can get your carbs low enough, you will burn fat as there is not a steady supply of carbs to burn, nor an excess of carbs creating a surge of insulin that prohibits burning fat.
  • I don't like fruit at all. I've tried all kinds of fruit and each piece has made me gag. I think it's a texture thing. I do eat some vegetables. I'm glad to know that it's really not hindering me from losing weight..
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    I'd rather be eating fruit than bread or rice or potatoes.

I eat masses of fruit, though. No way am I cutting it out.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I saw them when signing up 3 weeks ago, but don't remember the exact details. He's my PT as well. I pay extra because he is a qualified nutritionist and sports nutritionist.

I would question this.......he clearly is not as qualified as he says he is,

all i can say is that if you are comfortable with the information he is giving you and you are happy with your results then no one should deter you from your journey, BUT keep in mind that there are people, lots of people, who prey on the poor souls of the overweight to make a dollar. every fad diet or pill and most books, and yes even "certified nutritionists" take advantage of us. the weightloss industry is a 70 billion dollar industry and growing, the information is out there for us, you just have to dig deep.

i wish you luck and hope you do great, I also hope you do not spend too much money getting proper information that should be shared freely.

Don't discount the fact that the USRDA and the Food Pyramid are much more heavily influenced by business interests than by scientists or doctors. Our US dietary recommendations are the product of what crops and foods our government chooses to subsidize, which is in turn based on what crops and foods can be successfully sold all over the world. Hence the presence of corn in everything we eat EXCEPT fruits and vegetables.

One is not necessarily better off letting a bunch of lobbyists and politicians dictate food choices.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    No fruit, hmm. This could work but for me no BREAD, no SUGAR, light on FATS, no ICE CREAM, nothing the color WHITE, no CHEESE...

Think that leaves carrots? :noway:
  • Herntere
    Herntere Posts: 16 Member
    So i talked to my athletic trainer and she said the same thing. I would have never guessed, just when i was thinking i needed to incorperate more fruits to boost my weight loss. Good job on getting informed!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I've used fruit for the majority of my carb sources, and I did pretty good with it. Fruit, especially bananas are an excellent way to replenish your body's sugars to fuel your muscles after a workout. I agree, you can go overboard. you shouldn't get more than a few servings of fruit a day, but fruit is not bad for you. It is a lot better option than white breads, and pastas, and pastries.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Don't discount the fact that the USRDA and the Food Pyramid are much more heavily influenced by business interests than by scientists or doctors. Our US dietary recommendations are the product of what crops and foods our government chooses to subsidize, which is in turn based on what crops and foods can be successfully sold all over the world. Hence the presence of corn in everything we eat EXCEPT fruits and vegetables.

One is not necessarily better off letting a bunch of lobbyists and politicians dictate food choices.

I agree whole heartedly!, I live in Canada and our Food Guide along with many other government health projects are influenced by business interests.

Its a tough debate because to do the research needed to properly advise on health there needs to be money behind it, who has the money, big food corporations, so they give money, but then expect a return on thier donation (investment) in the form of having a say and influence. its crap....
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Gotta throw the "all things in moderation" flag here. I have a couple of servings of fruit every day and I think my ticker speaks for itself.
    agreed!!!
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    I read a lot of articles about that too! In fact last week I tried to go fruitless. Too bad I just ended up snacking on junk food. I've returned to eating fruits, but only low GI fruits--no bananas!!!

I think there is some truth in what you're saying. I know a raw vegan who's on the 80-10-10 diet and eating almost only fruits. Sure, she's eating clean and healthy but she's also eating 2000-3000 calories of fruits everyday. This caused her to gain 10 lb. (Her goal is to eat clean, not to lose weight so I guess she's fine with additional pounds.)
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Fruit in moderation is fine.

You cant cut everything out of your diet otherwise you wont stick with it.

So very. very true. I'm keeping the fruit.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    My diary shows how much fruit I eat - LOTS. I haven't had any trouble losing weight. There are important NUTRITIONAL reasons to eat various fruits and berries. What I eat isn't all about weight loss. It's about health. Oddly enough they tend to go hand in hand if you manage your food choices wisely.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    NO FRUIT = CRAZY TALK!!

If you have diabetes or insulin situation that could be a different story.

I eat tons of fruits as well a veggies and isn't hindering me at all. I think the nutritionist was trying to make the point that fruit does contain alot of sugar. period end of story.

But, an overall balanced diet including fruit is smart and realistic.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    oh my I wonder if you mis understood your nutritionist. I have never heard to cut out anything (well except soda and artificial sweetners) as a good way to lose weight and have a healthy lifestyle. I remember my step dad actually went on an Apple diet/fast- all he ate was apples and drank a protien shake or two and took vitamin pills and he lost a lot of weight but looking at pics-he looked TERRIBLE. To me cutting out a whole food group or sub group is akin to fad diet-it will work short term -but in the long run who knows the consequences.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    NO FRUIT = CRAZY TALK!!

If you have diabetes or insulin situation that could be a different story.

I eat tons of fruits as well a veggies and isn't hindering me at all. I think the nutritionist was trying to make the point that fruit does contain alot of sugar. period end of story.

But, an overall balanced diet including fruit is smart and realistic.

I agree.

The reality is that sugar is sugar...which is why cutting fruit and the "natural" sugar that goes with it works. Even though most of my daily sugar is from natural sources, I tend to do better weight loss wise when I limit the presence of it in my diet. That means 1-2 servings of fruit, 4-6 servings of veggies, and a serving or so of dairy each day.

Better would be to eliminate all sugar laden processed foods instead. And most people get significantly more than the recommended 1-2 servings of fruit because 1 "serving" of fruit doesn not necessarily equate to 1 "piece" of fruit. You will hit 2 servings by eating a large apple or banana, or a cup of sliced berries or melon.
  • KristaPFT
    KristaPFT Posts: 63
    I think everything is in moderation. Balance is key. Almost anything that is natural "raw" is better for you than other things. I def wouldnt stay away from fruits when losing weight, just dont rely solely on them as this rule goes for anything. This reminds me that easter is coming up ahhhh chocolate :) lol
  • fayelein
    fayelein Posts: 51 Member
    Very interesting and does make sense. I think I might give this a go for a bit of a boost but i'm not going to be too worried at the odd piece of fruit. I bought a mango today, i'll eat that before I give up the fruit though :P
  • KristaPFT
    KristaPFT Posts: 63
    My nutritionist told me to eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day. Fruit are necessary, as they have extra vitamins and minerals (including Potassium, like bananas), plus they have essential carbs especially needed by runners. Eating fruit will actually help lose weight and do it in a healthy manner. Fruit juice is not the best choice, as you throw away all the fiber you could be eating, but fruit is necessary.

I am also not sure why your nutritionist didn't say anything about berries. They are extremely high in antioxidants, and they're also the lowest in sugar of all the fruit.

I am always under my carbs and sugars. I lost 90 lbs in 9 months while eating fruit. Lots of it.

I agree with you