What food's calorie content shocked you the most....?!?!?!

Options
HI! Since I started this journey, I have been shocked several times when I go log a certain food to see what the actual caloric content is. So let's start a list....just for fun or to compare! What have you eaten on your diet that has blown you away when you logged it on MFP??? Can be high or low calorie but what has surprised you the most!

I have a few.....Chick Fil A cole slaw-300 calories! I actually thouight I was eating something that was around 100 cals:(

French Onion Soup @ Applebees-348 cals. It's broth for goodness sakes.

A banana-105 cals. I still can't get over this one:)

Replies

• tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A cinnamon sugar cookie from Quiznos - 390 calories! I REALLY was shocked even though it was a cookie :)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Yeah it's happened to me a few times. I try to enter my food before I eat it. I still fudge every now and then and eat something without looking it up.
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fast food but a banana's calorie is a bit large for fruits. Despite high amounts of potassium (which I can get elsewhere), it's got a ton of carbs and sugar. =( I don't eat bananas anymore.
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A dognut.....some are 300 calories!!

I was hungry in work a while back and someput made me a cup of tea and put a dognut on a plate for me. Just out of curiosity i checked the calorie content on MFP.....290 calories! I threw it straight in the bin :-)
  • aimgirl
    aimgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm still shocked at how much sugar is in an onion.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    The shrimp wrap I had for lunch over the weekend. 1800 calories!!!!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Biscuits!!! A McVities digestive is 70 cals! Also salted peanuts - nearly 600 cals per 100g :sad:
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Banana's & I love them ................but I found baked doughnuts that are only 153cals - not that I've been eating them but I was surprised at how low they were :tongue:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Before any education on food... Granola! I used to eat it like everyday! And sweet potatoes carb content. But it is a better bang for your buck on the potassium vs. the banana :) I'm surprised at how low strawberries are hah!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    a cheese sandwich. Rare I eat sandwiches, even rarer I eat cheese but I really wanted a cheese sandwich one day, had one, went to fill it in and was horrified...350-500 calories. I don't care how much I want one I will not eat nearly half of my days calories in a sandwich again! And take no notice of half of the entries on here, theyre just kidding themselves!
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    when i started to pay attention to my sodium, i was shocked to see how much sodium is in everything. i didn't realize just how bad all that processed stuff was for me. and if you eat out, forget about staying under your sodium goal unless you do some research beforehand and are VERY careful and selective!
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    In & Out Cheese Burger! I used to "treat" myself every payday to In & Out cheese burger with fries and a small strawberry milkshake. Cheese burger: 880 calories, fries: 400, strawberry milkshake: 690 = 1970 calories total for one meal!!!! I quickly learned that where calories come from do matter and I can't eat 1970 in one seating and expect to lose weight. It became important to read food labels. Now I rarely go to fast food places anymore, and I do check out website for nutritional value of foods before ordering if I do go. I workout hard and don't wish to blow the hard work on something that's going to later make me feel fat and miserable vs feeling healthy and energetic.
  • INSANITY43
    INSANITY43 Posts: 142
    Options
    My "aha" moment was yogurt...especially the ones labeled ORGANIC & low-fat (has to be healthy right?) But the sugar content!!!! Oh MY!!!! Have made the switch to CHOBANI'S plain no-fat Greek yogurt.....still "acquiring" a taste for it....but since I mix it with my Kashi GoLean and frozen wild blueberries....it isn't too bad.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The sodium content is a good one! Do not eat processed foods they are full of the stuff :frown:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    High - humous

low - broccoli
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Turkey ham, you might as well lick a salt block with all the other critters.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm not even getting into sodium... That's a whole different thread! I must say sushi! Specifically, spicy tuna rolls. I had not realized they had that much mayo in them!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Sodium never ceases to amaze me...

I was surprised to see the calorie/fat content of dark meat chicken..I figured it would be more but DANG!

Oh and syrup and butter...Goodness Gracious...
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I got a turkey sandwhich from chillis one day 1200 calories,i didnt think it would be that bad lol
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I surprised to see the calorie and sodium content for salads at restaurants....staying away from those for sure!