WOMEN AGES 50+ for April

Options

Replies

• mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Good morning MFP friends.

It's spring, hurray. Our new little orchard is budding and the birds are singing.

I got out for a walk this morning - first time in a couple of weeks. :noway: :happy:

The morning was perfect for walking. It's getting set to rain again (again!) so it's cool and slightly overcast. I walked farther than I have before in this neighborhood and was pooped when I got back!

Off to Costco now - they don't hand out samples 'til noon so I'm safe. :wink:

I hope everyone has a good day.
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I survived the day! The high school where I work took all of the students to a local park for a community service project today. We are putting in a new playground, splash pad, and walking trail. This is being done with all volunteer labor over the next month. We were the prep cr urew. We moved sand, dug out and moved railroad ties, painted, dug out the sprinkler system, poured cement, put up a construction fence, chipped cement out of cracks in the tennis court, raked out a shelter belt, put up a construction fence, and hauled away debris. Mostly I helped with the construction fence. The kids were amazing workers. There were over 250 of us there for 6 hours. They put up signs that say "Extreme Makeover - Park Edition."
    And my best news of the day - my mother is slightly better, and was released from the hospital to rehab today! Hopefully she will improve enough to get a stint for her heart.

Great news about your mother, Mary - glad to hear it!
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Afternoon:flowerforyou:
    Check back in later......:smile:
  • lindaj07
    Options
    Grandee - I know we agreed to 45 miles this month but if you want to change it, I'll go with that. Let me know if you do!

I got my 8mile walk in today - along the Ayrshire coast - weather absolutely beautiful - feeling slightly weather beaten :laugh:
    I would have taken some pics but I got a new phone and haven't worked out how to use the camera yet, :bigsmile: will do so for next time.
    I've been going a bit mad with work outs over the past 2 days as I missed out Weds completely and didn't get much in on Thurs.
    Now I feel justified in having a day off tomorrow!

Good luck everyone!
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello, Dear Ladies,

So good to hear from each of you...it is amazing how much just reading your posts with your struggles, successes and suggestions help!

So, I made it through yesterday logging every bite and had a HUGE plate of Mimi's roasted vegies for dinner last night.
    Will likely have another one tonight. It is easier for me to get back on track while here alone and not trying to entertain or cook for DH or a big group. I need this "strict" time to get myself back on track. Oh...how easily I fall back to my bad habits...a bit of cheese while cooking, a glass of wine here or there and...poof, I am completely off kilter!

Rebel: Good to hear from you again...some of us seem to be on the same track!

Mimi: Loved your roasted vegies last night...my body was craving them so! Even though I eat lots of vegies each day, something about JUST the roasted vegies was very soothing! I am going to try to cut back on meat for a bit just to see how it goes.

Barbie: Mimi is right...you are so good to be accountable on your ticker. I am a chicken and haven't weighed since I got home...I will do so Monday. Then I know ticker will change..:sad:

Robin: 1 pound...that seems great to me! You are doing all the right things

Mary: Glad to hear about your Mother!

Jeannie: I am starting back with your Gut N Butt exercises again...my middle could use them!

All our Newcomers: I look forward to getting to know you as we share this journey, which is never a straight line!

Have a wonderful weekend, ALL! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lyn54
    Options
    Hi Friends!:flowerforyou:

It's a beautiful Spring day here in the Bluegrass State. It's 65 but feels 58 or so, at times. The wind is blowing straight out of the North. I transplanted some flowers today.:flowerforyou: Have been outside several times.

This is the first time I have had the time to address each of you. I know I may leave someone out because I am just going to do these 3 pages we have started for this month.

There are many who aren't on here that I am wondering about. I scanned back through the months last night. Where are Karlene, Jane, Terri and many others?? Does anyone hear from some of the people who did post on here.

Barbie - :flowerforyou: Thank you for starting this each month. Anyone can look at your ticker and diary and see how dedicated you are to this.
    All of us, who have watched you for a time, can see that you enjoy your life. That is a key to success. Happiness and satisfaction in yourself.
    ps...how in the world do you ever gain weight..????:noway:

Bmorrow- :flowerforyou: You get up every day detemined that today you are doing something to promote your good health. You inspire us!

Peepocheck-:flowerforyou: Welcome to our little piece of the world. Good luck in your weight loss!

Barbara- (Weak link)- How are you doing? :flowerforyou: I miss you when you aren't on here.

Natalie-Welcome.:flowerforyou: I hope this makes you successful in your journey. PS I am short and middle aged too~

Leanne-:flowerforyou: The support here has kept me hammering at my goal since last September.

Gramma5:flowerforyou: -Winter has been long for most of us on here. I hope your snow melts and the sun shines on your excercise paths.

Lindaj07-:flowerforyou: I, actually, started a ticker for this month for steps/walking. I have advanced a lot since Sept. Good luck in your walking goals too!

Plantlady-:flowerforyou: --I have heard this all my life: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. That's what I do. I wish you luck!
    ps. Good to see you back. I noticed you were posting some in Jan or Feb. and a member since 2008. Wow!

R222-Welcome. :flowerforyou: You already look good in a swimsuit and a marathon too?...Awesome!

smwert-:flowerforyou: Congrats on your pound! I think Spring and Summer will help all of us.

Mary-:flowerforyou: How did your Demolition Day go? What is that exactly? Glad your mom is better.

Vickim-:flowerforyou: You have done so well on your new program. It will be 25 pounds before you know it...no April Fool's. ()enjoyed your joke)

Dee-:flowerforyou: Hope your reunion was fun today. Your birthday is just around the cornor....did they sing to you today?

Robin:flowerforyou: -that pound will be gone before you know it. You could be up just from angsting over the scales coming out.

Kackie- :flowerforyou: Good to hear from you. What is your weather like..and aren't you on the coast, now?

Kathy:flowerforyou: -liked your Spring Bouquet!

Jeannie- :flowerforyou: Look at you! Your ticker says it all. Plus, all the stress and you still are seeing that weight drop. I am impressed!
    ps Good Luck with your colonoscopy.

Peggy-:flowerforyou: WOW! 87 pounds!!! That phenomenal !!!!

Laura- :flowerforyou: Your ticker says you are at your goal weight. That is terrific! I was glad to see you post again.

Shirley:flowerforyou: - It sounds like you have found your groove with you calories. I hope it continues to work well for you.

Debra:flowerforyou: -has the snow melted yet? I noticed it was 51 in NYC, today. I am always glad to see and hear from you on this forum.

Alice-:flowerforyou: Hi! I am wishing for Spring to hurry in your direction.:flowerforyou: What do you grow on your farm?

Bombard-:flowerforyou: -so are going to move to Florida? or stay for a season? I may have missed a post telling about that while I was gone.

Mimi/Mary:flowerforyou: - You are the Veggie Queen. :drinker: Your ticker says it all. I am always glad to hear you are happy and busy.

rjandjosh-:flowerforyou: Welcome! Come back again~:flowerforyou:

Birdie- :flowerforyou: You have had an unusual time. Your bright smile through your troubles, is an inspiration to us all.

Sally:flowerforyou: -Good luck with your goals this month. I know what you mean about how you feel when you are on track.

Macmadame-:flowerforyou: -are you running any marathons?

exermom/Michele- :flowerforyou: I am just like you. I want some blooms in early Spring. I have forsythias, March lillies(daffodils), several different cherry trees, a flowering peach, and pink magnolia bush all in bloom. Today the wind was blowing the petals off the Bradfords. It looked like snow.

Calliecat--I saw your bump in here.:happy:

Marilyn- :flowerforyou: My husband has restless leg syndrome. Is that what is going on with you?..or is it from your back?

Frogmamma:flowerforyou: -good to hear from you. Take care with all this working.

Mrs Anderson-:flowerforyou: how are you?

Lorri-:flowerforyou: Hi--your ticker is showing a good loss!

Rebel-:flowerforyou: It was good to see your post..let us know how it's going with you.

VBLOC-Hope you have luck on here!!!:flowerforyou:

Viv/Wizzy- I hope you had a wonderful day out with your lady friends!!:happy:

Anotheryearolder- How is that new grand baby?:flowerforyou:

Maximom-:flowerforyou: I know you have been busy. Will look for you later.

Darlis- I hope you and your hubby have healthy improvements soon. You are in my thoughts.:flowerforyou:

Doobie-How r you? Debi-hope you are well.

Mamma Cindy/Cindi--Hope things are going well for you.

Everyone have a Wonderful weekend!!!
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies, just a quickie,

LYNN, not sure what it is with my legs, they are a odd couple to say the least. Family history shows leg problems. I'm hoping as the only one member of this clan, that the gym will erase some of the family history woes. Found out a few days ago that restless leg syndrom has not been totally researched and named correctly. Yeah I was "what" on that one. I will have to find that article and read it again, I was so tired I did not think to mark it.

Got the house looking like a flower shop, put out most of my artificial arrangements, makes the spring days look so much nicer. I am not a green thumb, I can grow dandilions, but everything else seems to fail me. I will at some point in my life be able to spend time in a garden, maybe then I will have better luck.

Staying in the good zone, drinking lots of water, body is not changing much, maybe it will once I get through working up my abs. Something has got to give.

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow, I'll check in after exercises.

Marilyn
  • CarolynGSilva
    CarolynGSilva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lyn- moving to florida for now
  • CarolynGSilva
    CarolynGSilva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    marlouise - i also get restless, achy legs at night sometimes. for me, doing lots of stretching helps, both preventively and for relief when it happens. hate that creepy crawly feeling!!! barmbord
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Just a post to say hello, and enjoyed reading all the posts... can't figure out how you all respond to each message that people write, I would have to write each one down on a piece of paper!!
    I am NOT going to do the Heart Monitor, but will do the echocardiogram, and the stress test, I do not want to wear something for 24 hours, the palpatations have stopped as the dizzyness also has gone away, but I will follow thru with the other 2 tests.
    I rode outside today for 30 minutes before it got hot (97 today), suppose to cool off, into the 80's which is fine by me, don't like the intense heat. Bought a new blue ray player, and now can stream netflix, kinda cool.. eh?
    Natalie
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Had such a nice visit with the family today. :smile: Got to see all of my grandkids and have some fun with them. My FIL was having a good day and really enjoyed watching the kids. We always go to Hoss's and they give us the back room all to ourselves. It's really easy to stay on program there. I was able to get broiled scallops and a small portion of mashed potatoes. Because I did so well, I allowed myself a brownie with pb icing and ate it really slow.

My husband noticed an ad for a new Wii Line Dancing game. Now every time I hear about line dancing I think of Barbie! I'm going to look into it. The teachers at my school went to the gym every Wed afternoon and line danced. What fun and good memories. :laugh:

VBLOC - try us, you'll like us! A friendlier, more supportive bunch you will not find!:drinker:

Barb - you illustrate one of the things I love about this support group.....if we fall off the wagon, we admit it; if we gain, we change our ticker and restart; if someone discusses a problem or a hurt, they get warm fuzzies; if someone has a different point of view, we listen without arguing and do what is right for our own situation.......it's a beautiful thing. :flowerforyou:

Mary - super news about your mother!!!!!!!!! :happy:

Linda - 45 miles is good for me. With the weather getting nice, I will be walking twice a day and knowing I have a buddy, will keep me going. I won't be walking 8 miles a day, but I hope to do 3-5 miles/day on the days I get out.

Lynn, it was still pretty chilly here today but tomorrow it's to get in the 50s so I'm hoping to get out. No, no happy birthdays today because PopPop was our star of the day. Your bday is before mine....hope you have a warm, sunny day! :flowerforyou:

My legs get "antsy" when I'm overtired. Drives me nuts! :ohwell:

Hope you're all having a nice weekend. :bigsmile:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Lynn - Demolition Day was taking apart the existing park to make way for new construction.

I helped at the high school music festival today - 10 hours without sitting down. After yesterday's exertion, I am exhausted and my feet are throbbing. A dear friend fixed dinner for me. Now I am finally home, and need to fix breakfast for my Sunday School class tomorrow, fix tomorrow's lunch for my family Sunday dinner, clean the kitchen, pick up the house and sew on a prom dress for one of my high school students. We'll see how far I get. Better get moving!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thanks for the kudos on my ticker numbers and the well wishes for the colonsocopy this week. I can honestly say "my friends made me do it" lol And I am glad you did.

I posted an article in another thread, but thought it too long for here. April is cooking in color month and by adding color you add fruits and veggies. :drinker: Here's to a colorful month!

To all of my friends across the pond in the UK - Happy Mother's Day! I tried to convince my kids it was tomorrow here too, but they saw the small print on the calendar. May you all have a nice day with your children and families.

Jeannie
  • lyn54
    Options
    Jeannie...it's Mother's Day:flowerforyou: across the pond? I learned something new...

Happy Mothers Day friends..:flowerforyou: .Amanda, Wizzy, Hopefu(I think that is where you live), Who else?? Refresh my memory, Please...after all I am getting older.:bigsmile: :wink:
  • lyn54
    Options
    Chclet ---Take care girl..let us know how it's going.:flowerforyou:
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    You can tell spring is in the air. I hear it in your voices!

Today was another good day for me - for eating and for exercise. Feels good. It's fun to see the calories MFP adds to my goal when I exercise. It's good motivation, as I like to eat. :tongue:

I loved hearing several of you mention veggies and colorful cooking (which also means veggies). Springtime is the perfect time for veggies and fruit. I'm inspired anew!

I went "down the hill" (it's about a 30 minute drive to get to Costco and some of the other places I like to shop) this afternoon. I went specifically to go to Costco but, after running all my other errands, ended up getting there 2 minutes after they closed. Saved me from the slippery slope of "free" samples though.

I had a "feel good" moment today. I'd eaten a snack late in the morning but was out and about when lunch time rolled around. By 4 o'clock, I was feeling hungry. :frown:

I had just left Trader Joe's with, among other groceries, a bar of dark chocolate, which I planned to eat one square at a time, and some triple-ginger gingersnaps, which I like to have in the house for the grandkids.

I considered having "just a little" to tide me over. (Danger, danger Will Robinson.) Instead, I decided that, although those treats were fine, I wanted to have them only AFTER I'd eaten a real meal. I ate two apples instead and logged them when I got home.

I feel good about making a deliberate decision to eat well. Lynn, I can't carry a tune so I'll rely on you to sing, "I feel good, I knew that I would, now."

Dinner tonight was delish. No roasted veggies (yet). Instead, I started out with florets of raw cauliflower with salsa (someone on here suggested that and it was pretty good!) Then I ate something that partly came out of cans. Yikes. I rarely do it but, for a quick dinner, it was great.

I ladled canned diced tomatoes, a little salsa, and canned sliced mushrooms over spaghetti squash (which I'd cooked the night before), seasoned it, grated an ounce of applewood-smoked cheddar on top. Then put it in the microwave long enough to get hot and melt the cheese. (I had to get that in there, "applewood smoked," sounds so la-di-da. It was yummy and I got it at the Grocery Outlet for next to nothing. :laugh: ) Really, really good...and satisfying.

Lynn, thanks for your nice post mentioning everyone and some folks who've been scarce for a while. You seem very nurturing. You are one more in an awesome bunch of women.

:flowerforyou:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    I had a great workout tonight and then a great meal. Healthy one. Grandee you share a birthday with my oldest grandchild, a girl, regan who will turn 12 on friday. '
    Happy Mother's Day across the pond to all of you ladies.
    I just came on to log my calories and exercise so I will say good night to all. see you tomorrow.
    vicki m
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow Lynn I'll have to find out how to do those glittery birthday greetings!! Hope you have a lovely day.

:laugh: I had so much fun yesterday meeting up with my friends, unfortunately it was a bad day for calories!! We managed to get a bit of shopping in between having a coffee, chatting, having a late lunch and more chatting.:smile: It's one of the girls 25th Wedding Anniversary later in the year and she has invited us all to her party. We were looking for a glamorous dress for her, she tried one on but it didn't look right around the bust area and she was also worried that with her "large ones" that she'd need more support in that area :bigsmile: :bigsmile: we had such a laugh. Our other friend (who is so slim it's sickening! - she could wear a bin bag and still look fab) tried on a long halter neck style dress and looked absolutely gorgeous - she was in two minds as it wasn't in the sale, but we persuaded her to buy it. Hey, she was asking, "it doesn't make my arms look too thin does it?" She looked stunning, we were all so jealous. Then after a bit more shopping/looking at dresses, we went for afternoon tea. Of course afternoon tea translates into tea and a cream cake. I had the healthiest thing I could see, which was a fruit tart, I didn't think I did too badly, there were lots of creamy cheesecakes, gateauxs etc so at least I got a portion of fruit :bigsmile: The time went by so quickly, but we've agreed we'll have to meet up every couple of months or so.

Today it's Mothers Day, so I'm going to pop over to my mums with a card and pressy for her. I know this time of year is sad for those who have lost their mums, my hubby is a bit down as his mum died 4yrs ago and it's a sad time for him. I am so thankful that both my parents are still alive and in reasonable health.

Have a good Sunday everyone, and Happy Mothers Day to all us mums!

Love
    Viv xx
  • lindaj07
    Options
    Jeannie...it's Mother's Day:flowerforyou: across the pond? I learned something new...

Happy Mothers Day friends..:flowerforyou: .Amanda, Wizzy, Hopefu(I think that is where you live), Who else?? Refresh my memory, Please...after all I am getting older.:bigsmile: :wink:

Hi Lynne, I'm that side of the pond too and out to Mother's Day lunch soon (hopefully healthy, but...):smile:

Happy Day to all mothers out there!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    It's early here and I have to get busy, but wanted to pop in say "Happy Mother's Day" to you in the UK. Have a great day! Mary