PLEASE educate yourselves!

Options

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are being "dumb," uninformed maybe, but I would hesitate to ever say people are being dumb.

Also, not all doctors are created equal. There are bad doctors out there. I'd add that if you don't feel as if your doctor is listening to you or addressing your concerns, find another doctor. I know this can be hard with some medical plans, but there is generally at least one other choice out there (Physician Assistants I've found are FANTASTIC resources and 98% of the time I'll choose to go to a physician assistant or nurse practitioner over a doctor any day if I need to discuss concerns with someone).

Yes, we need to listen to our bodies when they tell us something is wrong. We also need to listen to our minds and hearts when they tell us that something a doctor tells us or doesn't tell us doesn't seem right. Not that we should self diagnosis but we should at least get a second opinion. Doctors are not God and they make mistakes and have bad days too.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    LIKELIKELIKELIKELIKE... MAJOR like!!!!!!!!!!
  • chrispoll
    chrispoll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't apologize about offending people. I may slip up but I know when I do and if I forget my meds, I don't blame the doc because only I am responsible for me :). Thanks for saying it. The only thing I would have to say though, is there are a few (I would say only a handful) of doctors that got into it for the money and don't really care about the patient. I have run into 3 of these doctors in my life. The first 2 wouldn't listen to my family doc about what was wrong and it took 3 years for me to find a doctor that would listen and finally agreed to surgery. After they went in, she said she was glad she did. The third luckily was just a wrist surgeon and had a great NP that took care of his patients so I only had to deal with him for the 4 mins before my surgery. Thank you for being one of those caring health providers. We need more people like you that tell people how it is but also care enough to.
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I agree people need to stop googling their sickness and go see a professional and get some help or advise you only have one body!!! treat it well
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good one!!! I agree that those who do not listen to, seek the advice of a physician, or those who seek but choose to ignore the physician's advice/order is setting themselves up for serious medical repercussions.

Yes for MOST of us...it's common sense...note I said most. :wink: d

As an accountant/fraud auditor, I find accounting common sense (since it's common to me) but not so much for those out there. I rant to my husband often about it and he responds.."Honey, you can't educate the world." :noway:

Education is the key to doing this weight loss/muscle gain...learning and knowing what to do and what NOT to do. I guess that's why on MOST if not ALL workout equipment/products states to "seek a physician advice" prior to starting any workout. :happy:
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Cheers to that! :drinker:

I'm tired of seeing all of the super crazy diets and people not eating enough. You're not going to be able to do that forever, and when you stop you're going to gain all of that weight back, if not more, OR you're going to end up in the hospital. Be reasonable. You were probably way over eating and not moving to gain all of the weight. Why not try eating a NORMAL healthy amount?
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Although I do have to say that I do Medical Transcribing, and some of these people did possibly recieve their degree in a mcdonald's drive thru ... (just kidding)
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    SO true, love it!!!!!
  • Jenn97355
    Jenn97355 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Awesome rant--from what I have seen, TOTALLY deserved, and hopefully someone who needs it will actually read it and use the information!! :flowerforyou: Kudos for speaking your mind...I see people I love not taking meds because they just don't like what they read about the side affects, or it makes their head dizzy--- CALL THE DR-- Stop trying to Dr yourself... especially the diabetes and heart meds. Sheesh. Some people....:noway:
  • lisamama42
    lisamama42 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not in health care but what you say makes sense to me. have a good day.
  • Broven
    Broven Posts: 3
    Options
    As for number 2, I would recommend calling your doctor up and letting him know that your meds are making you feel tired, dizzy, etc. etc. I had this very problem with my blood pressure meds and so we tried out a few different things before finding a medication that didn't come with side-effects for me (at least, none that I can notice). Honestly, the first thing I was on made me so dizzy and left me feeling so worn out that if that were the only option, I would have just gone with the high-blood pressure.
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I so agree, but I do have to say, you cant always take the doctor at their word, if it feels wrong get a second opinion, doctors are just as human as you and me and humans make mistakes. I once had a doctor tell me that the slice on the inside of my finger couldn't possibly have cut a tendon, because those are on the back of your hand! I had another tell me that my daughter was not gaining weight because I was breastfeeding and not producing enough milk, when I could pump 4 oz each every few hours! ( Turned out no one thought to tell me that the pain meds the ob gyn put me on could make her sleepy, and she was sleeping to much to eat enough)

Doctors do spend years in school to know more than the average person, but they don't know everything.
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    Are people really that stupid? I don't read a lot of the posts, just every now and then. I personally would not care about stupid people like this. It is their own life, they can do whatever they want with it. Of couse, I can see, how frustrating it must be for you as a health provider. Just think about the smarter people, who get better.:wink:
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse too, and I TOTALLY agree with you. Every person on MFP should read this.

Ditto!!!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm often shocked by the ease with which rumours spread on these forums that X is good for Y or perhaps try Z. No citations, no references... just plain old rumour! Might be dangerous! Makes me worry a lot about it.

Me too. No advice can replace actual doctors advice and medical intervention.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that all of you responding in agreement and with your own words of wisdom have really helped to boost my faith in humanity... It is SO good to see others out there, even non-health care related people, who understand!
    Seriously, THANK YOU!!!
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    Bravo! I agree with you, and could add even more that I've seen here and other places. Listen to the professionals (real professionals, schooled, tested, and accountable, not just someone who has an important sounding title) Read the directions, and follow them, ask if you don't understand, and if you think there's been a mistake, speak up or seek out another professional opinion before you make any unadvised changes. And yes, I have also been guilty of some of this, but we live and learn. Or at least, that's the way it's suppose to work. Thank you for posting and showing your concern, it is a sign of your true compassion...
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Good post. However, I will add that it is sometimes wise to seek a second opinion if you feel that what your doctor is saying or prescribing to you doesn't feel right.

Agreed. I am all for multiple opinions. I know that I will hear several opinions before I get roped into some sort of bullhockey by anyone.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    and yes, it is always good to get a second opinion, doctors will even recommend that... but getting a second opinion because it's justified, and getting one simply because you don't like what you heard... are 2 different things.

I have ALWAYS been that nurse that will tell a patient like it is. I may not be the nicest most polite nurse you come across, but I know what I'm doing, I get the job done, and you WILL hear what you NEED to hear, now what you want to hear... and honestly, most of my patients truely like me and appreciate that from me! I take pride in what I do and caring for others truely makes me happy... so I listen and I read and I never stop learning, so that I can feel justified in making posts like this! LOL
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of terrible nutritional advice given on here from doctors, honestly. I'll listen to any doctor when it comes to diagnosing issues and prescribing medication, but outside of that I have a tough time taking doctors on face value on something they haven't directly studied in detail.
This discussion has been closed.