Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - April Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Morning folks! And happy Monday!

Adding mikmakmom....
    smashlee1984-curb fastfood eating, complete ripped in 30 (6x/week for 4 weeks), make an effort to be thankful and happy and make healthy (fitness and lifestyle choices)
    wardiemelissa (Melissa)-continue to maintain weight between 120-125 lbs; exercise routine 5 days running, 2 days strength, 1 day rest (long run 10+miles on Sundays), continue to test out new recipes (including new fruits and veggies), and making more time for my family
    alwhisler-drink 64oz daily, lose 5 lbs, work out 3x/week, no beer.
    halina20-lose 5 lbs, finish insanity, stay away from jammy dodgers, run 30 mins straight, drink lots of water.
    kvr414-Lose 2 lbs, continue limiting fat intake to >45g/day. Increase a low carb/low GI lifestyle. stay committed to this thread!
    mkingraham (Megan)- Lose 7 lbs, strength train at least once a week (we're going to start easy), and run 3 times a week.
    springstorm: Lose 7 lbs, drink water 64 oz/day, exercise 3x/week, No binges, log everything, sacrifice soda.
    crystalfaith: workout at LEAST 4 days a week, continue progressing through the C25k challenge, drink more water!
    ngoat: (nancy) lose 3lbs, work out 3x/week and drink more water
    spellbinder25: (1)Lose 4 lbs, (2) Run 3 times/week, (3) Run 3 miles on the treadmill by the end of April, (4) Do strength training 3 times/week.
    shannonaufman: lose 6 pounds, walk 50 total miles, drink 64+ oz of water daily, continue C25K, run an entire 5K
    meagalayne- maintain between 125-128lbs; continue with YogaFit once a week; increase my H2O consumption to at least 6 cups a day; quit my job by May 1st; take time every day to feel happy and enjoy the journey!
    Rachellynch83: drink at least 64oz of water a day, keep up with c25k, finish 30 Day shred, increase outdoor family activities
    missjaygraham87 (Jay): Lose 7 lbs, do pilates 3x/week, walk the dog daily, start C25K, drink 7 glasses of water daily.
    edryer123-GW 138, and to get in a 10 minute mile by the end of the month.
    tjradd73-to lose 8lbs, drink 70ozs of water/day, 3 days/arms, 3 days/abs, >90minutes cardio/week.
    hroush-break 190, workout 3+ days a week.
    yvalcaraz-(Yolanda)-Complete 30 day shred, Run for 3 miles w/o stopping, 1000 crunches 3x week, Lose 8lbs, Weight lifting class 2x week
    silhouetted25 (Samantha) -1. Go to the gym at least 4 times a week, but would like to hit 5 times 2. Cut out most white flour products/pastas/breads & eat mainly whole wheat or gluten free 4. Eat more grains and lentils 5. Go on a hike 6. Balance work and working out effectively
    terrilien21 - Drink at least 5 glasses of water a day, get in at least 4 workouts a week, have one cheat day a week (saturday), no beer, stay positive!!
    fitmommy2012- lose 6 lbs, P90x everyday, at least 6 cups of water a day, be happy with self, stay motivated
    Sambloid - Lose 10 lbs and be able to do 50 push ups
    Meggonkgonk- To reach 137lbs, to run my 10k course at least 1x, Run my 4m run at 9:30
    Allie7383- start and stick with ChaLean Extreme, bust out of the 150's, continue to work on my running, cook more often, and stop making excuses!
    Finncmh- loss on scale, get back to lifting, run 2-3 times a week, complete 5k April 17th, walk to work at least 3 times a week, better presence on thread than March
    lizzymaez - eat healthier/watching calories, start riding 2-3 times a week, cardio/running at least 3 times a week, and yoga at least twice a week.
    jennro7781 to lose 10lbs
    lemmyhead: log everything every day, exercise 3x week (this doesn't include my walk to work every day), sign up for and start training for the 10km run that will be held on June 19th.
    WanderLaura: Lose 10 pounds; Eat meat a maximum of 1 time/ day (no pork or beef); Jog 3x/ week for a total of 24 miles/ month! :); Do strength-building exercises 2x/ week! ; Be able to do 5 push ups with no knees by May 1st . :)
    emmarie1630-lose 5 pounds, bootcamp 3-4x/week, more sleep, less stress, tons of water
    shelsab- lose 5 lbs. run 3xweek. limit my sweets.
    JessYas-100 PushUp Challenge and lunges at least 3x/week, and get down to a scale weight of 133. Also, I'm cutting out alcohol again! Yes! :)
    mikmakmom- Get into the 130s (lose 4lbs)

AFM - My goal for the day is to REALLY focus on water intake. I want to go to the gym so badly but my foot is killing me and I know it's a bad idea... I'm dying for a calorie burn so that I can feel like I have some wiggle room to eat good food without too much guilt, but it's just not happening.

I had a very long talk with Ty last night about my food stresses and he seemed pretty concerned about how much time and energy I devote to thinking/stressing about it. He really doesn't understand - and neither do I honestly - what underlies my concerns about eating un-clean/treat food. He definitely treats himself, nearly every day, to something I'd consider "off limits". Either a cookie, ice cream, something super high-sugar, and loads of carbohydrates. Of course, he never gains weight and just considers it all "moderation". To me this hardly seems moderate, since it's EVERY DAY, but I guess since most of what he eats is healthy he doesn't really worry about it. I feel like I can't even imagine having that mind set. I tried to explain to him that eating unhealthy foods has to be balanced out with limiting other foods so that my calories, carbs, sugars, etc even out and he was perplexed. "How is it a treat if you're constantly counting everything? It's not a treat if it stresses you out." ... I really just don't know.

I know that he's right and that I need to lighten up. I know that it doesn't kill me to eat un-clean or less healthy things now and again. And I honestly have no idea why I feel the urge to eliminate foods entirely from my diet instead of just eating them in very sparse moderation (for instance, artificial sweetener). Does anyone have any insight? I would love to hear your advice or suggestions on this. I am struggling a lot because I notice that everyone else (non-MFPers) eats treat foods, baked goods, etc semi-regularly and just writes them off as a "treat". Since I'm in maintenance mode now and in this for the long haul, is trying to "eat clean" 100% of the time just totally unreasonable? What is a good middle ground?

I need some advice... :ohwell:
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Meag- I'm going to think on your dilema and see how I would feel if I were in your shoes and try and give you some advice. In the meantime, keep your head up and try not to let yourself get overwhelmed (easier said then done.) HUGS!

Megan
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!! My April goals are
    -to get below 145 pounds (I was 149.4 lbs this morning)
    -to work out at 3 times a week (this is going to be a challenge because I haven't been working out at all lately due to a knee injury)
    -to drink mostly water and tea (allow coffee or diet soda once or twice a week as a treat)
    -to ENJOY an occasional planned splurge without worrying about it!

So added onto everyone's goals:
    smashlee1984-curb fastfood eating, complete ripped in 30 (6x/week for 4 weeks), make an effort to be thankful and happy and make healthy (fitness and lifestyle choices)
    wardiemelissa (Melissa)-continue to maintain weight between 120-125 lbs; exercise routine 5 days running, 2 days strength, 1 day rest (long run 10+miles on Sundays), continue to test out new recipes (including new fruits and veggies), and making more time for my family
    halina20-lose 5 lbs, finish insanity, stay away from jammy dodgers, run 30 mins straight, drink lots of water.
    kvr414-Lose 2 lbs, continue limiting fat intake to >45g/day. Increase a low carb/low GI lifestyle. stay committed to this thread!
    mkingraham (Megan)- Lose 7 lbs, strength train at least once a week (we're going to start easy), and run 3 times a week.
    springstorm: Lose 7 lbs, drink water 64 oz/day, exercise 3x/week, No binges, log everything, sacrifice soda.
    crystalfaith: workout at LEAST 4 days a week, continue progressing through the C25k challenge, drink more water!
    spellbinder25: (1)Lose 4 lbs, (2) Run 3 times/week, (3) Run 3 miles on the treadmill by the end of April, (4) Do strength training 3 times/week.
    shannonaufman: lose 6 pounds, walk 50 total miles, drink 64+ oz of water daily, continue C25K, run an entire 5K
    meagalayne- maintain between 125-128lbs; continue with YogaFit once a week; increase my H2O consumption to at least 6 cups a day; quit my job by May 1st; take time every day to feel happy and enjoy the journey!
    Rachellynch83: drink at least 64oz of water a day, keep up with c25k, finish 30 Day shred, increase outdoor family activities
    missjaygraham87 (Jay): Lose 7 lbs, do pilates 3x/week, walk the dog daily, start C25K, drink 7 glasses of water daily.
    tjradd73-to lose 8lbs, drink 70ozs of water/day, 3 days/arms, 3 days/abs, >90minutes cardio/week.
    yvalcaraz-(Yolanda)-Complete 30 day shred, Run for 3 miles w/o stopping, 1000 crunches 3x week, Lose 8lbs, Weight lifting class 2x week
    silhouetted25 (Samantha) -1. Go to the gym at least 4 times a week, but would like to hit 5 times 2. Cut out most white flour products/pastas/breads & eat mainly whole wheat or gluten free 4. Eat more grains and lentils 5. Go on a hike 6. Balance work and working out effectively
    terrilien21 - Drink at least 5 glasses of water a day, get in at least 4 workouts a week, have one cheat day a week (saturday), no beer, stay positive!!
    fitmommy2012- lose 6 lbs, P90x everyday, at least 6 cups of water a day, be happy with self, stay motivated
    Meggonkgonk- To reach 137lbs, to run my 10k course at least 1x, Run my 4m run at 9:30
    Allie7383- start and stick with ChaLean Extreme, bust out of the 150's, continue to work on my running, cook more often, and stop making excuses!
    Finncmh- loss on scale, get back to lifting, run 2-3 times a week, complete 5k April 17th, walk to work at least 3 times a week, better presence on thread than March
    lizzymaez - eat healthier/watching calories, start riding 2-3 times a week, cardio/running at least 3 times a week, and yoga at least twice a week.
    jennro7781 to lose 10lbs
    lemmyhead: log everything every day, exercise 3x week (this doesn't include my walk to work every day), sign up for and start training for the 10km run that will be held on June 19th.
    WanderLaura: Lose 10 pounds; Eat meat a maximum of 1 time/ day (no pork or beef); Jog 3x/ week for a total of 24 miles/ month! :); Do strength-building exercises 2x/ week! ; Be able to do 5 push ups with no knees by May 1st . :)
    emmarie1630-lose 5 pounds, bootcamp 3-4x/week, more sleep, less stress, tons of water
    JessYas-100 PushUp Challenge and lunges at least 3x/week, and get down to a scale weight of 133. Also, I'm cutting out alcohol again! Yes! :)
    ahadj: to get below 145 pounds (I was 149.4 lbs this morning), to work out at 3 times a week (this is going to be a challenge because I haven't been working out at all lately due to a knee injury), to drink mostly water and tea (allow coffee or diet soda once or twice a week as a treat), and to ENJOY an occasional planned splurge without worrying about it!
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Em- GAHH 2 months! Im just under 6 away and I am freaking out. More power to ya woman! I am sure its going to be an amazing wedding!!! Just take care of you!

Megan- LOVE when the cherry blossom trees are in bloom in DC. We used to try and go down every year around that time. Its been a while. You are totally kicking *kitten* on these runs lady!!!

Tara- your enthusiasm about April is definitely contagious! Im definitely feeling like this is the month for us!

Shannon- Im the same way with water at work verse water at home. Great job on the C25K!

Shelsab- nice job on your march goals. Awesome that you are starting ½ training next month!

Jess- just jump back on! You got this

BflSaberfan- welcome to the group!

Meag- I want to respond to you SOOO badly because I really get what you are going through with the clean eating and whatnot. I don’t really know how to answer though. You know that I have been struggling pretty bad the past few months with not obsessing on eating/working out. It’s hard though because I am not near maintenance yet so I still need to be in the losing frame of mind. Like Megan I really want to ponder this and come up with a nice response for you just like you would do for me if I was asking! I think that there is some truth in what Tyler is saying but you definitely have to find some sort of balance.

ahadj- I like your goals. Good luck with the knee injury! I know how that goes

AFM- yesterday was going to go out and do a run. J decided that he wanted to go with me. Give you a picture. He is in decent shapre (works a really physical job 4 days a week for 10 hours) so he is probably in better shape than me in terms of body fat etc. but he hasn’t run in a long long time. So I was really excited that he wanted to run with me. Great way for us to do something together and be healthy together. So we just went for a nice leisurely jog. Jogged about .8 miles out then his lungs started to get unhappy (so he is definitely in the shape to run just doesn’t have the cardio capacity yet). Then we walked back at a really nice clip. Wasn’t as far as I wanted to go but it was great to just be out there with him. Walked to work this morning also.

For my goals I am going to try and check in here more often just to get more accountable again. So for this week: Weigh-In: Sunday, Lifting: Tomorrow and Friday Running 1/3, Walk to work 1/3, Presence on thread: 2/7 days . Not too shabby so far!

Cait
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bumping for now
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    AFM - My goal for the day is to REALLY focus on water intake. I want to go to the gym so badly but my foot is killing me and I know it's a bad idea... I'm dying for a calorie burn so that I can feel like I have some wiggle room to eat good food without too much guilt, but it's just not happening.

I had a very long talk with Ty last night about my food stresses and he seemed pretty concerned about how much time and energy I devote to thinking/stressing about it. He really doesn't understand - and neither do I honestly - what underlies my concerns about eating un-clean/treat food. He definitely treats himself, nearly every day, to something I'd consider "off limits". Either a cookie, ice cream, something super high-sugar, and loads of carbohydrates. Of course, he never gains weight and just considers it all "moderation". To me this hardly seems moderate, since it's EVERY DAY, but I guess since most of what he eats is healthy he doesn't really worry about it. I feel like I can't even imagine having that mind set. I tried to explain to him that eating unhealthy foods has to be balanced out with limiting other foods so that my calories, carbs, sugars, etc even out and he was perplexed. "How is it a treat if you're constantly counting everything? It's not a treat if it stresses you out." ... I really just don't know.

I know that he's right and that I need to lighten up. I know that it doesn't kill me to eat un-clean or less healthy things now and again. And I honestly have no idea why I feel the urge to eliminate foods entirely from my diet instead of just eating them in very sparse moderation (for instance, artificial sweetener). Does anyone have any insight? I would love to hear your advice or suggestions on this. I am struggling a lot because I notice that everyone else (non-MFPers) eats treat foods, baked goods, etc semi-regularly and just writes them off as a "treat". Since I'm in maintenance mode now and in this for the long haul, is trying to "eat clean" 100% of the time just totally unreasonable? What is a good middle ground?

I need some advice... :ohwell:

So I know I responded to your status, but I'm gonna hit you here as well because I think this goes beyond just not logging.

First and foremost I agree with Tyler. And I think "eating clean" 100% of the time is something verging on an eating disorder - the guilt, the self perception/flagellation, the obsession. As I said before, if there are foods you actively don't like (I believe we've touched on cake and rice) then certainly don't feel compelled to eat them. But if you are cutting them out because they are "bad" that's another whole ballgame. Balance in your diet doesn't just mean you have the right amount of carbs or enough protein etc. Balance doesn't mean perfection. Balance means moderation of the good AND the "bad".

I think what this is coming down to for you is that you aren't confident in yourself to handle these foods without complete control over them and now is the time in your journey to start standing on your own. And not having any calorie burn, any mental or caloric wiggle room, I think that's probably a really good thing in disguise. It's going to keep you from slipping into the mindset that you need the workout to justify the "imperfect" food. The imperfect food is what it is and needs no other justification other than it's something you want.

For what it's worth, I think it can be a treat, even if it's everyday. I have chocolate in some form almost everyday. I have something that isn't nutritionally valuable sometimes multiple times a day. Isn't the primal diet even like 80% clean and 20% not? A treat doesnt have to be once a week- it just can't be the majority of what you eat.

Have you ever seen Bull Durham? When Tim Robbins keeps trying throwing strikes and win the games himself with all strikeouts. But he keeps getting rocked. Every batter comes up and sees a few fastballs, times them and then blasts'em. Keven Costner comes out from behind the plate and tells him "Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic."

Stop trying to throw strikeouts- it's facist. :wink:
  • meagalayne
    Options
    OHHHHH my god... You've just stolen my heart with a baseball analogy from an absurd and amazing movie, Gonks. I think you might be my favourite person alive right now :tongue:

I know that you're right. I know that your advice is coming from a place of experience and that you are, as always, being perfectly level headed and insanely rational. I know that I need to balance - and not balance in the way that makes me comfortable right now. I need to feel comfortable not being 100% focused on food, exercise and health to the detriment of the rest of my life. Yes, some people (including some of my very good MFPals) CAN balance a 50mile/week running schedule, eating clean 95% of the time, eating low carb and NEVER going over their calories. I obviously cannot handle that emotionally and cannot make it work for me. It's silly to aspire to that for no reason other than to prove to myself that I can, if I put my mind to it.

I feel like with running, diet, and everything else in my life, I am an "all or nothing" kind of girl. I take up initiatives because I know that if I work really hard at them, no matter how difficult or insurmountable they might be, I can not only finish them but excel with them. I endeavour to be the "best" runner I can be, the best eater, or cook, the cleanest or healthiest possible. Just "doing" something isn't adequate. I have to do it really, really well or it's not worth doing. This often leads to obsessive behaviours and is just a part of my personality; it's something I have always dealt with in my life and have always struggled to find balance with. There is no rhyme or reason to why I set such high expectations for myself (while I simultaneously credit those who live their lives with a great deal more moderation - and enjoyment). I cannot understand or explain my motivations other than "I just want to". Just because. When asked why I don't drink, for instance, the only reason I can give is "The same reason you don't chain smoke, or eat cake every day for breakfast". I *know* that drinking socially in moderation is just as healthy and reasonable as anything else (and obviously I make excuses for ice cream in moderation, so I'm not a total fascist Gonks :tongue:) but I just can't wrap my head around it when it comes to ME.

I guess that while I understand and agree with everything you've said, it's just hard to apply it practically to my life without feeling like I've lost control. I wish I could just eat good and bad in moderation, feel balanced, and enjoy the journey, but that it might be at the price of my anxiety/sanity. I'm not sure. the weekend that I decided to not log and just "be normal" felt good for a short time, but most of that goodness came from knowing that I only had to be uncomfortable for 2 days, and then could get back to the safety of logging.

Ultimately I guess a good part of it is also getting a brief taste of the sweet life - feeling like an athlete, a runner, and feeling fit and healthy, in my "prime" training time, and then now feeling so lazy, unmotivated, and just generally quite disappointed with how my fitness if suffering from this injury. I do worry that my body image will deteriorate, that I'll lose muscle mass, and that I'll start gaining fat around my mid-section again... Of course I don't want to gain weight again. I know the chances of that happening are slim (pardon the pun), but I do worry about it from time to time. Perhaps just keep weighing-in weekly and adjust my eating patterns accordingly if I start gaining again?

We'll see... Now, I just have to decide if I want to log lunch or not :huh:
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Its been awhile. The bad news: I've been yo-yoing for the past 2 months half motivated and it SUCKS! I really miss kicking *kitten* 2!

The good news: Finished my first 10K on Saturday!! Ran all the way! =D Yay! Time was 1:09:42 (about 5.2 mph).

So I'm not totally sure what my goals should be, but I know I need to make some. I'm just kind of floating in and out of this commitment now and I know I'll regret if I keep heading this direction.

So I'm going to throw some goals out there for April:

Loose 4 lbs by 4/25 (current weight 166- goal for april 162)
    Do 150 minutes of cardio total per week (that is 30 min/day for 5 days)
    Eat between 1200 and 1510 calories (that is 1-2 lb weight loss per week)
    Drink 8 glasses of water per day
    Eat at least 1 fresh fruit or veggie per day

Glad to be back!
    Rachel =D
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    jennro7781 to lose 10lbs
    rai8759: 162 lbs by 4/25, 150 min cardio per week, drink 8 cups of water a day and eat at least one fresh fruit or veggie per day
  • finncmh
    Options
    Hey guys! Its been awhile. The bad news: I've been yo-yoing for the past 2 months half motivated and it SUCKS! I really miss kicking *kitten* 2!

The good news: Finished my first 10K on Saturday!! Ran all the way! =D Yay! Time was 1:09:42 (about 5.2 mph).

So I'm not totally sure what my goals should be, but I know I need to make some. I'm just kind of floating in and out of this commitment now and I know I'll regret if I keep heading this direction.

So I'm going to throw some goals out there for April:

Loose 4 lbs by 4/25 (current weight 166- goal for april 162)
    Do 150 minutes of cardio total per week (that is 30 min/day for 5 days)
    Eat between 1200 and 1510 calories (that is 1-2 lb weight loss per week)
    Drink 8 glasses of water per day
    Eat at least 1 fresh fruit or veggie per day

Glad to be back!
    Rachel =D

Rachel!!! SO SO SO glad to have you back!!!! March was a rough month for most of us. Just jump back in to it. We are all gearing up for a kick *kitten* month!!!! you can do this!
  • shelsab
    shelsab Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    meg- great job on the 6mph! that is awesome and it will get better as you continue to ease your body into running faster.

Meag- I have to say, Gonks really nailed it. You are awesome and I agree. I also have chocolate usually at least once a day and just make sure that all of my food is not overly bad. Balance is the key and its okay to have some considered "bad" stuff. Its also all about changing your mindset and believing in yourself and staying positive :]

finn-great job getting some running in with the boy. Always a good thing and maybe he will like it more and want to continue. Keep up the walks to work!

rai-great job on the 10k! Thats awesome!

AFM: I am starting out the week great with a great step workout and now going to get off and study for my phlebotomy class. Only 2 more classes and I am done! Then I have an externship and hopefully a great job with phlebotomy :] Feeling great about this week. Just going to stay positive, even when people try to be negative.
    Take care everyone!!!

-alexis
  • emmarie1630
    emmarie1630 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello! I hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

Cait- yep I'm down to 68 days until the wedding! crazy. Good luck with all of your planning! And I like your goal of checking in here more often. I definitely need to do the same to stay accountable! I really let it slip this month. Good luck!
    rai- great job on your 10k! What an accomplishment! And all of your goals sound great!
    meag- hang in there! hopefully you'll get to a comfortable place soon!

AFM- going to bootcamp tonight- woo! I'm going to work more tonight on nailing down a concrete schedule for the rest of the week. I have so much going on with school and other responsiblities this week- I want to make sure I plan out time to fit in my days of bootcamp this week. Luckily there's a few different times to go each day- I just have to fit it all in with everything else. I'll check back soon!
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    bump, been so busy at work but will add my goals later on..
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I will be starting my 1/2 marathon training in May...I am sooo excited!!! But for this month I am just going to keep running the usual around 3-6 miles.

Good luck on the 1/2 marathon training!!! I just finished my first 1/2 on Saturday! I used the Hal Higdon Intermediate training and LOVED it!!! I am seriously considering starting to train for a full...LOVED it, LOVED it, LOVED it!!!! In fact I'm already looking for my next 1/2...listen to me ramble on!!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Megan-Great job on your treadmill run, and WTG on continuing to challenge yourself every week!

Meag-I agree with you AND Ty. You do need to be a little more careful (since you aren't working out nearly as much as you were) on HOW MUCH goes into your body; but, a "treat" every now and then (even every day), as long as it is in MODERATION, is healthy for you! I'm not saying to just mindlessly pop into your mouth whatever-but a planned ice cream date or a handful of chocolate chips is normal, healthy, and actually advised by most dieticians. Speaking of...have you ever thought about seeing a professional and getting their opinion/suggestion?? just a thought...Regardless,we all obsess on occassion, and this is a learning process for us all! Just remember... not only do you want to be healthy, but you also want to be happy and to be able to enjoy your life! You will find your "happy" eating place soon enough :) Good luck, and keep rockin!!

Cait-very awesome about your couples run! Hopefully that is something that you 2 can maintain so you can learn to live your healthy lifestyle togethor :) p.s. I am still totally stoked about April!

Bethany-Welcome back, and I love your new pic!

Rachel-Welcome back, and way to set some great goals for the month! Congrats on your 10K!!

Alexis-way to have a great attitude...I love it!! Keep it coming!

Emmarie-WTG on getting your bootcamp done again, and I think that it is a great idea to make a plan for yourself :)

AFM-same ole same ole...still doing great with food, and enjoying my rest days for working out! I can't wait for my WI tomorrow...so excited!! :)
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Wow- the thread is super slow today! I for sure thought I would have a million posts to read!

Tara- I am glad that you are excited for your WI tomorrow! Your enthusiasm and positive attitude has really helped me out especially in the tail end of March! Keep it up!

Meag- So I have thought about your dilema and I think that it is a tough one to answer. You are getting a lot of great feedback from a lot of different people which is good, but I think that you need to sit down and figure out what you need to do. You have a lot of stress factors in your life right now, not being happy with your job, hurt foot, until recently apartment hunting, and the one thing you feel you can control is your food, so that control factor was put into overdrive. I think you need to find a way to not let the stress of other areas in your life cause you to put overwhelming concentration into another area. In this instance you are doing that with your food. Now it is especially difficult because you are trying to figure out how to make maintenance mode work for you as well. I have faith that you will figure out what works best for you and you will eventually find that balance. The first step is being aware that you are out of balance and trying to decide what to do to get back in balance. I hope this helps you a little bit!

AFM- Did spin followed by my mini bootcamp this morning. I can really tell a difference in the number of situps and pushups I can do before feeling tired. I still do modified push ups and I need to work on my form so that I can start doing regular pushups. Its hard to get the form right but doing wrong push ups isn't good for anyone. I still have around 650 cals left for the day with all of my food that i've eaten and plan to eat plugged in. Looks like maybe some milk or something extra special as a treat tonight. Who knows! Hopefully more people will be along later today! Keep up the great work!

Megan
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hey folks! I meant to reply this morning but ended up running late and nearly missing the lane swim at the gym... So no post!

Swam for about 15 or 20 mins this morning. Just moderate laps, mostly freestyle or breaststroke. I am far from being the best swimmer but hoping that I will improve with practice. It's not a bad workout, somewhat enjoyable, and fairly easy on the foot as long as I don't kick off too hard. I just have to be aware of my foot and make sure I'm not flexing it too hard when I'm swimming. I've noticed that even when I'm sitting I tend to flex and point my feet a lot and it stresses my foot out. I just need to rest it on something and let it be totally at ease. Still figuring things out...

Food has been good today. I even treated myself to my favourite Green Monster!! Had a kick-*kitten* salad for lunch - I usually try to add some protein into lunch, but we've been pretty low on lean meats in the house so I've had to get creative. This is what I threw together for lunch:

2 cups or so leaf lettuce, torn into pieces
    1/4 red bell pepper
    2 Tbsp or so red onion
    1/2 cup cucumber slices
    1/3 cup cooked chick peas (cooked from dry and stored in water in the fridge)
    1/3 cup 1% cottage cheese
    1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
    1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

I just layered it all in that order, sprinkled the nooch and balsamic on top and then mixed it all together. Really yummy and a great mix of flavours. Was skeptical about the nooch and balsamic together but it was actually really yummy! Beats the hell out of packaged salad dressings, IMO.

Hoping we can all get back to posting some foodie stuff on here -- I love knowing what you guys are eating and sharing my recipes. Tonight we're having quesadillas with some roasted chicken, loads of onions, peppers, spinach and other veggies, and whole grain tortillas. Might even toss in some cheese if I am feeling saucy :bigsmile: Really working on being less psychotic about my food this week and I think I'm doing OK. Still a work in progress but way less crazy... Wonder if it will stick?

Thanks to everyone for all the responses! I really do appreciate you all so much for taking the time to reply. It means a lot. Megan is right though - I just need to figure out what works for me. It's silly to think there will be any one quick fix or easy answer lurking online somewhere. I just need to work it out with myself and find some balance in my own head and in my own life. I think there is definitely some truth to every one of your posts though. Taking them all to heart for sure. Your support and love really means a lot to me :bigsmile: I feel so fortunate!

Megan - Form form form! You're right girly. You will get there with the pushups in time. Took me ages to finally be able to push out a few regular ones. It's just a matter or persistence and patience. Working on form first is definitely your best bet though. Keep up with it - Sounds like you are working SO hard! I'm really envious of your dedication!

Tara - Same ole is really working for ya, lady! Keep it up and thanks so much for the reply :smile: And good luck on your WI tomorow!! :drinker: I know you'll rock it!

Melissa - So proud of your results and really happy to hear you loved the race so much! You are such a superstar! When's the next 1/2 planned? You should drive up for the International race in Niagara this summer - looks like a blast and would be loads of fun for the family! Just a suggestion... And who knows, maybe I'll be there! :tongue:

Off to fill out some more job apps, folks. Then tonight - baseball sign-ups! Finally the season has arrived! Here's hoping I'll be fit and well enough to play... Have a great day! Much love! :heart:
    Meag
  • finncmh
    Options
    Just checking in from home real quick. Enjoying a nice lazy rainy day off. Had a lot on my to do list but so far just being lazy. Curled up in bed with the pup snuggled up on one side and the cat on the other. Rain days seem to make all three of us snuggly. Downloaded a book to my phone. Still does not beat a real book in your hands but nice to have since I don't have any good books at home righ now. Should eventually get around to dome chores and an at home strength routine that are both on the schedule! Hope everyone els is enjoying their day!

Ps- sorry for the typos. Pain in the butt to go back and fix on the fone:tongue:
  • ngoat
    ngoat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just stopping in for a second to say Hi. I had a shi**y day today so I want to get out of here (work). I will catch up with everyone tommorow.. I hope everyone has a good night!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Megan-glad that I could help :) you continue to impress me with you workout routine and positive attitude....keep it up girly!

Meag-swimming can be a great cardio workout!! It can almost be just as great as running...you just have to put the time in effort into it, like you did into running! I am sure in no time at all, you will find it a suitable alternative to your daily runs! Have you tried maybe wearing a brace on your foot while you are going to be sitting and even just walking?? That may help be a "reminder" for you not to flex your foot as much as you have been.

Cait-lazy days are great (and well deserved) on occassion!

Nancy-sorry your day sucked...hope it gets better soon!!

AFM-weigh-in day tomorrow!! that's all I got for now! :)