Quit blaming your kids!

Options

Replies

• StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I agree, I will admit I used to keep ALOT of junk in the house but these last 6/7 weeks of my lifestyle change has brought alot more fruits and veggies in the home. My kids LOVE the new foods. they actually prefer to eat the fruit and carrots, 100 cal packs, fiber one bars, yogurts and other healthier options. I still by chips and cookies on occasion but its one of those once it is gone it is gone till next month kind of thing.. Now if we could just stay away from fast food and pizza that would make life perfect. but, at least I am not keeping a stock pile of on the go grab and get fatter snacks IN my home. My daughter had been getting school lunch for ever ( even though she hates most everythig they serve) and now she would rather pack her a pbj sam ( 100% whole grain bread ONLY) with fruit, carrots and other healthy options. She just plain likes to eat healthy and I LOVE IT! Her twin brother on the other hand LOVES what they serve for school lunches he loves mac and cheese and pizza and sgetti all those things his sister will not touch. I need to get him to want homemade lunches too!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Totally agree:)) I don't buy juice anymore or chips....or processed kid popular stuff like corn dogs and chicken nuggets and fish sticks etc. I figure, if it's bad for ME....then it has to be bad for them and their little bodies. They drink water with lemon and Truvia with me now....my daughter (2yrs) asked me for chips and HUMMUS----HUMMUS!! today for a snack....for bed time snack the kids had some strawberries. NOW....my BIGGEST....BIGGEST....BIGGEST challenge is the veggies (Lord help me). They sometimes act like its anthrax. Anyway my 9 yo, bless his heart, he has been raised on my poor habits, is enjoying celery and carrots (he hates them cooked)...the child wants them RAW...I let him because they are the only veggies he'll eat. Oh and while I was at it....I have taken out sugar and salt (THREW THEM OUT OF MY HOUSE)....they are learning to eat food w/o either and no complaints (NONE). My 2yr. old told me she needed some protein and calories this evening...hahahahaha!!! we are learning as a family. I am not just going to hord all the good stuff for myself:)) The kids have been asking me to share with them:)) They want to know what I am eating and explore:))

I really want to learn to make cookies and chips that are healthy...like sweet potato chips baked etc. and cookies with nutritious stuff...I know they are out there:)) I'm just a recovering terrible cook so it will take me some time:))

A nutritionalist told me "The human body will not let you starve if there is only ONE food in front of it and it is hungry" her point was...if only certain things are an option then they have no choice but to eat it. They may refuse at first but when there is no other option and they get hungry enough....they will eat it:))

Great post!!!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Agree!great post!!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree with you more. The thing that started my weight loss was when my daughter started eating solids and I went to McDonalds and she wanted some. I would NEVER (at 1 years old) let her put that into her sweet, little, healthy body and I realized, "why is it ok for me then?" I still have McDonalds on occasion, but my diet changed right then and there. My daughter likes her sweets and treats, but that's what they are, treats! I have struggled since I was 10 with my weight, why would I want to do that to my daughter? Besides, I want her and I to have a long healthy life together...now just to get her daddy on board :laugh:
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    agreed...my mom's cupboards growing up are the reason my terrible eating habits are what they are today!
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have to rant for just a minute. I hate, and I mean really hate, to hear people say that they have to keep their cupboards full of cookies, chips and little debbies for their kids. Pregnancy is a good excuse to have a large belly for a few months but children are not a good excuse to eat like an idiot. Why would anyone think that they need to stock their pantry full of nutritionally void foods--foods that they have determined are poison-- just because their kids like them? Are they trying to kill their kids? How much easier a life will they have if they don't have to unlearn eating junk food when they turn 30 and the spread starts? Kids don't have their own money or cars, so grow up, be a good parent and stock your kitchen with healthy food for the whole family. And yes, I do think it is ok to include a little junk in your regular diet as long as you don't go over your calories or under on any important nutrients. The only significant difference between your diet and your child's should be portion size (and maybe a glass of wine every now and then).
    AGREED!!! I've had this discussion with many of my friends...
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I agree. You know how bad that stuff is so WHY on EARTH would you want to give it to your children. I don't feed my son anything I will not eat now that I have made this lifestyle change and actually, I would not feed him any of that crap before either. Crap in crap out and I want him to just think that healthy eating is the norm instead of the other way around.

Opening a box of raisins or washing an apple takes the same amount of time as opening a little debbie or chips. So what is the excuse?!?!?!?!?!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Wow, I figured someone here would disagree already. I totally agree with you! Those awful foods in your cupboards combined with not getting exercise is creating a bad lifestyle for our kids! It will make their lives so much easier if they have a healthy lifestyle from the beginning instead of having to change it mid-life like most us here!
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You are soooo right! Just because the food industry wants to make money, we as parents, don't have to line their pockets at the expense of our kids health!
  • silkystarfish
    Options
    oh you mean the kids cant have wine???

JUST KIDDING!!!

but I blame the kids daddy lol, he is the one who has a sweet tooth. he likes a few bars to snack on. so I buy the ones I dont like LOL
  • RobinSturgeon
    RobinSturgeon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I watched Oprah today with my two sons 7-10 and it was a sad story of child abuse...long story short, the kid would get so hungry he would eat paperbags...my son looked at me and said sorry for being so fussy tonite at dinner...sometimes our kids need a wakeup call about how good they have it, and if eating healthy is the worst thing a mom does to them then they should count their lucky stars!!! My boys got the point!
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Wow, Lola. That is so incredibly sad. Literally made me tear. But you make a great point. By no means is giving healthy foods to your children equating to being a "bad parent". The real problem, I imagine, is the PARENT not wanting to eat healthy. ;) (i.e. If *I* don't like it, how could they possibly like it?) But as I'm learning better, I'm trying to teach my children also.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I kind of grew up on pizza & fast food. Now I have cravings all the time... I don't have kids yet but I want to overcome the cravings before I do! I know I wouldn't want them to think of junk food as "comfort food" like I do.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    The other part of this equation is why blame someone else's eating habits for what goes into your mouth, Mom? It sounds like just one more excuse to blame someone else for our not being able to control our own body.

On a happier note, this ROCKS, funky spunky!! :laugh::laugh::wink:

Screenshot2011-04-15at75734PM.png
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    i agree. we should execute any parents that give their kids anything with processed sugars in it. then with the parents out of the way, we can put the kids to work in the salt mines.

YES! More salt for us! Muahahahahahahahah! Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    meh, guess I will be the first to say, all is well in moderation. My daughter gets some processed poision every now and again. does that mean I blame her? um no. I feel like the opposite of what some have said, becuase of the way MY mother was... with being so strict, no snacks, no junk, is the reason I ate the way I did, I was a junk food junkie, I would get it in wherever and whenever I could becuase I was never allowed it growing up... SO one of the new things for me is live it in moderation. I think if we allow moderate "unhealthy" snacking, then we teach our children about healthy choices, and that a "bad snack" once in a while is okay. Guess I am a bad mother LOL
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    So true! Thanks for the post!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Mandamama, I let my kids have "crap" sometimes too...but for the most part, my kids would rather have healthy food than junk. However, sometimes I like a sweet treat, and I don't begrudge my kids one either. Again, it's all about moderation, IMHO. I do agree that "blaming" your kids for stocking your cabinets with junk isn't cool.

edited for overuse of the word "however" :laugh:
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    meh, guess I will be the first to say, all is well in moderation. My daughter gets some processed poision every now and again. does that mean I blame her? um no. I feel like the opposite of what some have said, becuase of the way MY mother was... with being so strict, no snacks, no junk, is the reason I ate the way I did, I was a junk food junkie, I would get it in wherever and whenever I could becuase I was never allowed it growing up... SO one of the new things for me is live it in moderation. I think if we allow moderate "unhealthy" snacking, then we teach our children about healthy choices, and that a "bad snack" once in a while is okay. Guess I am a bad mother LOL

im with you on this one my kids still eat some junk but i workin on it for sure i changed all bread to wheat changed there sugary cereal to a more healthy version etc but they still have chicken nuggets, french fries and the occasional candy bar
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    yeah I totally agree you can't stock your cupboards with crap and blame them.They aren't the ones who are shopping!! I have one of those wierd kids that loves brussels sprouts, and likes to take raw spinach instead of sandwiches for lunch LOL so I know 99.5% of the time shes eating healthy, so if she wants a grilled cheese and some fries from Mc Ds its not a big deal to me, or if her lunch is normally one fruit, one veggie, cheesewhiz on celery sumn like that, I will throw in some spider man fruit snacks, its not a big deal to me. moderation moderation moderation.