Larabars made at home!

Options
Shawnalee0703
Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
Save some money and make your own!!!
Here is a link to a page of recipe links for MANY different flavors of larabars. I made a couple cashew cookie bars tonight. They taste exactly the same! I am planning on doing a chocolate one next! And to mix it up, I may partially dehydrate some strawberries to add to the cherries in the PB&J one. YUM! Let me know if you try any and how they turned out! If you have never had a larabar or heard of them; They are bars that use dates for sweetening and there are very few ingredients. Cashew cookie has 2 ingredients: dates and cashews. :-D unprocessed goodness. Enjoy.

http://www.healthhabits.ca/2010/06/18/homemade-larabar-recipes/

Replies

• BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Interesting. I've been tempted by the bulk dates at my grocery store but never had anything to make with them. I'm going to have to try some of these recipes, although I have never had a LaraBar.

The ease of copying a product made with few and whole ingrediants might be an indication of why there aren't more of them on the market. :smile:

Thanks for the link.
  • CrankyButt
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Some of these flavors sound better than the originals!
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm... :)
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    awesome! Thanks, I have never heard of these, but its' worth a try, and something that doesn't have to many ingredients is a plus!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    http://www.larabar.com/
    here is the original product's site if you want to do some comparisons. It seriously took me 4 minutes to make 4 bars!! :-D And that site has ENDLESS recipes. There are soo many flavors! I want to make the tiramisu one and the smores one! haha This could be trouble.
    Consume in moderation: I must remind myself!
    The cool thing about making it yourself is that you can control the size, instead of having only 2 options "mini" and regular.
    I really like larabar's cherry pie and apple pie.... so I will probably try making those too!
    larabars.jpg
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks Shawna--I need to get to Winco for some bulk goodness so I can make these and almond milk!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Thanks Shawna--I need to get to Winco for some bulk goodness so I can make these and almond milk!
    YEP! Dates are the almond milk too!! :-D Let me know how it turns out!
  • BryanAir
    Options
    I just went to Winco and bought a bunch of dates. You can get a surprisingly large number of them for $1.20. Now I am going to make my own concoction based on some of the recipes I read from your link.
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A great site...Thank you for sharing it :smile:
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! Can't wait to make some tomorrow!! Love LaraBars!!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I am very glad so many of you will enjoy these! I picked up some dried bing cherries from Trader Joe's today and some more peanuts! PB&J are next! :-D
  • BryanAir
    Options
    I am very glad so many of you will enjoy these! I picked up some dried bing cherries from Trader Joe's today and some more peanuts! PB&J are next! :-D

If it isn't too much trouble, post a follow-up after you make more. I'd like to get reviews and links to recipes that people have liked.

I made some with 30g almonds, 80g dates, 2 squares of Lindt 85% cacao chocolate, and some water. It tastes really good, but is a little too high in calories to recommend.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

If it isn't too much trouble, post a follow-up after you make more. I'd like to get reviews and links to recipes that people have liked.

I made some with 30g almonds, 80g dates, 2 squares of Lindt 85% cacao chocolate, and some water. It tastes really good, but is a little too high in calories to recommend.
    Those ingredients don't scare me one bit! I am not afraid of calories-believe me! Especially if the calories come from nutrient dense food. :-D I thought about doing almonds, dates and dark chocolate powder myself! Soon! Since I have POUNDS of raw almond in the snack cupboard- I may as well use them for something yummy (other than almond milk). Thanks for the idea!
    My cashew cookie ones turned out just like the Larabars. 1/2c raw cashews and 8oz dates. Although my man requested more cashews next time. :-D
  • cwunderlich
    cwunderlich Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • edgehollow2
    Options
    bump
  • misschristi
    misschristi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    omg i just clicked on the chocolatecoveredkatie.com link and i cant stop looking at recipes!! looks like im going to the store! lol thanks!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    omg i just clicked on the chocolatecoveredkatie.com link and i cant stop looking at recipes!! looks like im going to the store! lol thanks!
    Let us know what one you try??! :-D
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Tagging for later!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Shawna for sharing this with us!:flowerforyou: