I cannot jog any longer than 3 minutes

Options
I am a big fan of running/jogging but the problem is with me is that I can't last any more than three minutes. I jog at 8.5mph and after three minutes, my chest is burning and I end up pulling a muscle in my back from breathing heavily or too quickly.

I keep very well hydrated throughout and I have been power walking and jogging for about 6 months. I do not have asthma or any other disorders that could be affecting it.

I want to be able to jog outside in the summer and it's going to be embarrassing if I end up stopping during the process whilst I am on the pathway near the main road lol!

Thanks!

Replies

• elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Wow...way too fast I think. I started out at 2.5...and worked up from there. I could only go about 10 minutes and am now up to an hour. I have moved on to the elliptical which is harder, I think anyway.
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    maybe reduce ur speed a bit --- ur probably going way too fast ( for now) 8.5 try 5.0 or 4.5
  • delilahthegoddess
    Options
    YES SLOW DOWN kiddo! If you can only run for three minutes you are running way too fast! Best of luck! :) Be kind to yourself ;)
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    8.5 is not a JOG
    Check out the C25K (Couch to 5K) program, it will help you build up your endurance and speed..
  • JStorm18
    JStorm18 Posts: 1
    Options
    It works better than one would assume, just by taking a quick glance and using basic logic.

Read, follow, enjoy and good luck.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Slow down your pace and dont forget to breathe evenly.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes, def reduce your speed..8.5 is a SPRINT! lol. I usually jog/run around 5.5 - 6.5 on the treadmill and can maintain that speed for quite some time. Just slow down a bit and you should be fine!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Couch to 5K running program?
    Also check with your doctor. My boss was having breathing problems and could not work out for more than 15 minutes at a time and the doctors think it is his immune system attacking his lungs.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It's because you are trying to go far too fast. Try slowing to 6mph, and see how long you can keep going at that speed. I had the same issue at first. I thought I couldn't run, but it was because I was sprinting. At first your jogging shouldn't be a lot faster than your walk.
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely interested in learning more about this. I'd like to be able to run and jog but I breathe so heavily so soon after starting and it gets really bad even where the nose will start running :/ I went to the doctor and they didn't seem to think anything was wrong with me or out of the ordinary, granted I couldn't get them to run any tests on me. They just prescribed a basic generic inhaler that doesn't do much. Maybe I am just that out of shape? even in high school I was never able to run the mile like the other kids. Any tips or information on this would be so helpful.

Thanks for asking the question parisianskies002 :)
  • xxjojo89xx
    Options
    Try doing intervals, so if u can only do 3 mins, do 3 mins jogging, 1 min walking until u need to stop
  • jsharp29
    jsharp29 Posts: 7
    Options
    Echo what everyone else says. That way too fast. I've been running for a month and am only to 5.5 mph for 30 minutes...
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I can't jog for that long either, but at 4.5. I'm working my way up though
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yeah, too fast a pace. Slow down so you can run longer and then gradually increase your speed as your body gets more efficient at running.If your body's not used to it, you just can't supply it with oxygen fast enough to maintain that pace.

Also keep in mind that the first few minutes of your run can be the hardest until you warm up and get into your groove with your pace and breathing.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Slow down! It's better to start slower and perfect your form and breathing. I agree-C25K is great!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    8.5 MPH is fast just by any standard. I run at about 7.5 to 8.5 MPH but I have been running for years.

Slow down. Just one step at a time!

If you want to get faster, you do wind sprints. Start out at say 5 MPH for 2 minutes then go like 6 MPH for one minute. Do that for like 30 minutes - 1 hour. Just work your way up there.
  • l23hornet
    l23hornet Posts: 15
    Options
    The best thing you can do is be realistic about where you currently are, and trust with time and discipline you will reach whatever goals you set. If you are jogging it should be at a pace that you can at least maintain for a half hour to get the best results.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I jog at 4.5 for an hour. At anything above 6, I am running and wouldn't last more than 5 minutes.... and I do have asthma. I think you should slow it down and maybe look into doing Couch 2 5k program also.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My nose always runs when I jog. Always. I think for some people it just does.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    WOW, that's intense. I'm huge so I still run at 4.3 being the highest. But 8.5, wow...