p90x - Round 1 beginners

Options

Replies

• JeffreyKiehl
    Options
    Started Classic day 1 today. Anyone have an exercise set to put into the daily diary that is similar to the exercies for each day?
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Started Classic day 1 today. Anyone have an exercise set to put into the daily diary that is similar to the exercies for each day?

I'm not sure how others do it, but I just log each day's excercise under cardio and put in the time and calories burned. I keep track of the reps and everything else on paper worksheets.
  • chelios7
    Options
    Week 1 Day 4:

Yoga X...I am unimpressed to say the least haha. I do yoga fairly regularly and have since I was about 15 years old. Although some moves in Yoga X were of moderate difficulty the entirety of this DVD was not giving me anything I needed from yoga. He just isn't a yoga instructor. He mentioned very little on breath control, one of the most vital components of yoga, and actually instructed against proper body alignment and configuration needed to get the most out of a lot of the moves. I often had to modify them myself just to get the stretch and positioning I knew I needed. :/

Not his fault I guess, but the yoga he designed seemed to be for beginners, or for men who over the course of the program will be gaining more muscle groups so quickly that they are likely to loose a lot of their flexibility. This makes sense, and as such I completely agree that yoga is such an important part of the exercise process, but this DVD just isn't for me. I'm going to replace it with my own yoga exercise (which will likely be a good half hour shorter than his, because honestly that's getting a little long).

So for today I didn't complete the DVD. I did it for about 10 minutes, then fast-forwarded to see if it got any better. I paused it to do some of the better constructed, trickier moves, but all in all I did about 35 minutes of it. Very dull lol. Going to do Cardio X on these days instead, along with my own yoga, from now on I think.

Did anyone else have this problem with Yoga X?

Not that specific problem b/c I have never done Yoga prior to this, so I wouldn't know any better. But the general concensus I get is most people don't like Yoga X, whether it's too repetitive, too long, or others reasons. I think a lot of people replace it with something else. Another option I hear people do instead is his one on one Yoga DVD, Fountain of Youth. It's half as long and supposedly better.
  • Amairee
    Amairee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not that specific problem b/c I have never done Yoga prior to this, so I wouldn't know any better. But the general concensus I get is most people don't like Yoga X, whether it's too repetitive, too long, or others reasons. I think a lot of people replace it with something else. Another option I hear people do instead is his one on one Yoga DVD, Fountain of Youth. It's half as long and supposedly better.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Glad to know that this isn't something I've dreamed up in my head haha. I'll probably substitute Namaste or Padma Yoga sessions depending.

In addition I finished my Cardio X workout a short while ago; great burn and leaves me feeling excellent and energized! :)

@JeffreyKiehl I log the P90X cardio-based workouts under a created exercise log using the information I get off my heart rate monitor. For the strength-based workouts I don't log them at all, just keep track of them using the provided log sheets. This is because, of course, a HRM's readouts for strength exercises gives you an incorrect number of calories burned (way higher than your actual burn). I've heard some people take the time to input the strength moves individually into the MFP system but that just seems time consuming to me.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Another week down after stretch or rest day tomorrow.
  • Amairee
    Options
    Another week down after stretch or rest day tomorrow.

Great job! :D
  • chelios7
    Options
    I so dogged it today during Plyo. I probably only gave it 80% and took a lot of breaks. My allergies are killing me right now and my breathing sucks so I'm out of breath quicker. I wanted to quit half way through but just took a 2 minute break and got my head straight and pushed to finish. I gotta say, I hate that Dominick guy on this video, the showoff is skinny as a rail and can jump up down and back and forth like a frog. Tony asks him, "You in your zone", his response, so cocky, "oh yeah". Then poor Eric with the one leg has to watch this jerk zipping around. Tough to watch myself when my energy was zapped!
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I so dogged it today during Plyo. I probably only gave it 80% and took a lot of breaks. My allergies are killing me right now and my breathing sucks so I'm out of breath quicker. I wanted to quit half way through but just took a 2 minute break and got my head straight and pushed to finish. I gotta say, I hate that Dominick guy on this video, the showoff is skinny as a rail and can jump up down and back and forth like a frog. Tony asks him, "You in your zone", his response, so cocky, "oh yeah". Then poor Eric with the one leg has to watch this jerk zipping around. Tough to watch myself when my energy was zapped!

My husband has some choice words for Dominick too!! He had me cracking up while I was trying to do my thing! Plyo really kicked my butt tonight too, but I pushed through it as well. Kudos for sticking to it even if you weren't feeling 100%!!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 4:

Yoga X...I am unimpressed to say the least haha. I do yoga fairly regularly and have since I was about 15 years old. Although some moves in Yoga X were of moderate difficulty the entirety of this DVD was not giving me anything I needed from yoga. He just isn't a yoga instructor. He mentioned very little on breath control, one of the most vital components of yoga, and actually instructed against proper body alignment and configuration needed to get the most out of a lot of the moves. I often had to modify them myself just to get the stretch and positioning I knew I needed. :/

Not his fault I guess, but the yoga he designed seemed to be for beginners, or for men who over the course of the program will be gaining more muscle groups so quickly that they are likely to loose a lot of their flexibility. This makes sense, and as such I completely agree that yoga is such an important part of the exercise process, but this DVD just isn't for me. I'm going to replace it with my own yoga exercise (which will likely be a good half hour shorter than his, because honestly that's getting a little long).

So for today I didn't complete the DVD. I did it for about 10 minutes, then fast-forwarded to see if it got any better. I paused it to do some of the better constructed, trickier moves, but all in all I did about 35 minutes of it. Very dull lol. Going to do Cardio X on these days instead, along with my own yoga, from now on I think.

Did anyone else have this problem with Yoga X?

OK I am apparently horrendously out of shape because I tried Yoga X for the first time last week ... and it kicked my butt. The actual poses were not too bad... but the getting down to the floor 1 million times just exhausted me. I actually loved it though and I am looking forward to doing it again.

Tonight I ran 4 miles and then did half of CST ... I really could not do more... my arms were just completely killing me. The slow push ups are the murder!
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You guys ever watch the movie Super Troopers? Prosthetic leg Eric is the rook on Super Troopers.
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just started Week 4 on Sunday! Did Core Synergistics today and holy crap! I burned 850 calories in 57min and am definitely hurting! I cant wait to feel the accomplishment of finishing this thing!
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Did the yoga this afternoon. I found it kinda boring, maybe I'll like it better next week. What do you all think of the yoga x? Those with HRM, how many calories are you burning?

I dont' like the Yoga either. It's way to long. I'm going to start sustituting with another Yoga. Either Jillian Michaels Meltdown or Biggest Loser Yoga.

I burned like 700 during the Yoga. I actually like it more & more every week. Can tell I am getting better at certain things and that keeps me going!
  • Amairee
    Options
    OK I am apparently horrendously out of shape because I tried Yoga X for the first time last week ... and it kicked my butt. The actual poses were not too bad... but the getting down to the floor 1 million times just exhausted me. I actually loved it though and I am looking forward to doing it again.

No no no, you aren't out of shape, I've just been doing yoga religiously for 7 years now and this just wasn't for me. Plus I'm a small girl, I mean I have 15 pounds I want to lose but it's not a big issue for me to raise my body weight off the floor over and over haha. Great to hear that you're enjoying it though, yoga is a fantastic practice overall even if this particular one I didn't care for.

@chelios7 Good for you for sticking through with it, and you got a decent burn regardless. :D

@brecka What a great burn, well done!
  • mrk1day
    mrk1day Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    YogaX today for me - I love it and hate it at the same time!
  • LOVINLIFEGUY
    Options
    Been sticking with it the last few days and heading down to do kempo right now. Things have been going well! Getting stronger and feeling better:smile:
  • LOVINLIFEGUY
    Options
    Kempo done! Week two in the books after a little stretch tomorrow. My hammys seem to be a little tight after kempo.
  • markymark39
    Options

lol - funny comments re: dominick on plyo

finished week 3 plyo this morning and it really kicked my butt...great calorie burner. bring it!
  • j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Did Chest n Back last night and I can barely carry my daughter around today. I gave it more than 100% last night. I definitely get a better work out at nights than I do at 5am.. but I just can't spare all that time everynight.
    I'm doing plyo tonight because the last 2 weeks I tried it in the morning and I just had no energy to finish it. Hopefully I'll get a great burn tonight :-D
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Did Cardio X this morning so I could get myself back on schedule for Yoga tomorrow. Being all impatient to start threw my schedule off! :laugh:

Keep bringing it! :drinker:

Oh, before I forget...I know I should be using some kind of recovery drink, but I really hate creamsicle/orange flavored anything and can't bring myself to buy the BB one. Any other suggestions?
  • jmiller0115
    jmiller0115 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 day 2 of P90X Lean