Why did I not try savory oatmeal earlier!

Options
2»

Replies

• emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump...yummy and definitely trying this!
  • Jazzy_Maria
    Jazzy_Maria Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who knew about and liked savory oatmeal!!! my parents always cooked it savory when I was growing up! I didn't even know it's "normaly" served sweet until I went to summer camp!!!

I eat mine mixed with a couple tablespoons of nutritional yeast and topped with black pepper. glad to know someone else "gets" it... all I get from my roommate are strange looks... HAHA
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I love oatmeal and I will definitely try this!!!
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    And this is the type of thing that would be great on those nights when you get home later than usual and need a quick dinner !

I'm way too excited over this but oh well :tongue:

I was excited too. I had seen a recipe like this some time ago, but just didn't know and so I never tried it. But oats are just a grain like barley or quinoa...so why not. And I always have to make my sweet oatmeal recipes with milk because I want the creamy texture, but water works better here because it makes the oats...I don't know...keep their shape? You know...not so smooth and creamy;) so I can cut the calories from the milk.

I saw another recipe that added shredded chicken, salsa, and black beans with cheese.
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who knew about and liked savory oatmeal!!! my parents always cooked it savory when I was growing up! I didn't even know it's "normaly" served sweet until I went to summer camp!!!

I eat mine mixed with a couple tablespoons of nutritional yeast and topped with black pepper. glad to know someone else "gets" it... all I get from my roommate are strange looks... HAHA

My husband about gags at the thought of oatmeal period...even covered in butter and brown sugar...so I'm sure that he will give me pleanty of strange looks when I tell him my new favorite oatmeal topping is soy sauce-lol.
  • swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    I'm trying the recipe from the first post, right now. Only, I used a sliced, hard-boiled egg (had some in the fridge that needed using) instead of frying one up.

The first bite was a bit hmmm... But I love it! This will definitely become a regular item on my breakfast menu.
  • sandradickie
    sandradickie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING!!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I definately need to buy some better oats....is it Irish Oats that is the same as steel cut?

I'm a breakfast lover....bacon, eggs, home fries...very savory stuff so I'm stoked.

And I grew up on fruit flavored instant oatmeal so it's no wonder I associated oatmeal with sweet and only breakfast...
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I definately need to buy some better oats....is it Irish Oats that is the same as steel cut?

I'm a breakfast lover....bacon, eggs, home fries...very savory stuff so I'm stoked.

And I grew up on fruit flavored instant oatmeal so it's no wonder I associated oatmeal with sweet and only breakfast...

So I thought Irish Oats and Rolled Oats were similar, but I just googled it and it turns out that Irish Oats are considered steel cut, but they look completely different than the "steel cut" oats that I have seen by Bob's Red Mill...HMMM
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Um. This just might be my dinner tonight. Sounds amazing.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious - it reminds me of my favourie breakfast when I'm in Asia, congee. Basically rice cooked to a cross between soup/porridge consistency. Served with a variety of toppings to add yourself, I've seen spring onions, shredded chicken, fried shallots, boiled eggs, boiled peanuts, soy sauce, chilli sauce, sesame oil etc....
    I've been wondering about making this at home but oatmeal sounds better.
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Oooh, bumpity bump bump!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am definitely trying this soon!!!

Savory oatmeal. I never would have considered it but have a feeling I'm gonna LOVE it!!