5-7 people for running support, motivation, encouragement

Options

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    please count me in to.

YEAH!!! Now that's what I'm talking about!!!! :)

What do you guys think - should we try a group challenge on a weekly basis to keep the motivation and inspirationevels up?? I'm guessing we're at various levels with differing goals but surely we can find some universally appealing challenges...

Are you up for it? If so, any suggestions for a first challenge?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Hi Peter :) welcome aboard! I think I can relate to your journey. Good for you for sticking with it. What is it about week 4 that you are finding challenging? are you trying to sustain too fast of a pace?

I can't quite remember which week I repeated when I did it the first time, but it was in the neighborhood of week 4. Keep us posted please!
    Well, 4 weeks ago I started jogging/walking again for this year. I was listening to the radio on my headphones. 2 weeks ago or so, I downloaded the podcasts. I guess I've done about 4 days worth.

At the same time I've been completing 8k, and trying to better my time each time. I was at 65 mins, then 62, 61, 60 and recently got it down to 57.5 mins.
    So I guess i'm thinking if I were to slow down my 5 min jog, I won't beat my previous run time.

I have done the 5 min jog 1 out of 4 times basically.
    I will keep repeating week 4, as each time has gotten better.
  • mymadori
    mymadori Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone! I don't have much time to post as I have back to back meetings from 9 to 4 today, but I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I've still been a little sick, but I think today is finally my day to get back out there, even if it's only 3 or 4 miles. This weekend I plan to do at least one long run because next Sunday, the 1st, is my 5 miler.

Smiles, I'm all up for a challenge, but it may be difficult with all of us being on differing levels. I'll try to noodle on it and come up with something while I sit through all these darned meetings today.

Here's another subject we can talk about- what do you listen to when you run? I've got the craziest playlist ever. Here's just a sampling:

Gimme Three Steps- Skynrd
    Lose Yourself- Eminem
    Pump It- Black Eyed Peas
    Need You Now- Lady Antebellum
    What was I thinking- Dierks Bentley
    2 Legit 2 Quit- MC Hammer
    Talk Dirty to Me- Poison
    Sexy Back- Justin Timberlake
    Fast Cars and Freedom- Rascal Flatts
  • thumper44
    Options
    Good morning all.
    I'm headed out to do C25k W4D? lol repeat of week 4, and I'm going to slow down my pace for the 5 min jog and don't worry about my final time.

Previously I just listened to the radio, and last few weeks I've listened to some c25k podcasts, nothing fancy.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Hey just seeing how everyone is doing. My knee has been aching a bit but I know its because of the extra weight. Slowly but surely I'll get there. I'm so proud of myself I got up this morning to workout...but then the baby started fussing so I couldn't run. Plan to go for a run today at work during lunch. Got a bad of clothes and everything. :smile:
  • thumper44
    Options
    Completed Week4 - did the 5 mins non stop. - I downloaded a new podcast.

Songs are 5 mins for that part. so I just push myself to the end of the song, instead of looking at my watch.
    Shrug, after 3 min mark i would always be looking to see if it was close to 5 mins.

I almost didn't go out today. 4 degrees C here, and I thought it was sorta chilly, but since I had already posted I was doing it, I felt to myself obliged to go through with it. :laugh:

I did slow the pace down and did 8kms in 61 mins, so I think I'll work on the stamina and slow pace, instead of speed for now.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    :bigsmile: Would love to be part of this! Im currently training for a 5k in june and a 10k in july. I lost my dad to cancer 4 days before xmas and am doing this to raise money for cancer research and also the hospice he stayed in. I have never run before but am slowly finding it becoming a bit of an addiction!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    :bigsmile: Would love to be part of this! Im currently training for a 5k in june and a 10k in july. I lost my dad to cancer 4 days before xmas and am doing this to raise money for cancer research and also the hospice he stayed in. I have never run before but am slowly finding it becoming a bit of an addiction!!

Glad you're here! Sorry to hear about losing your dad. :( I bet he would be proud of you for focusing on this effort.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Welcome everyone! I don't have much time to post as I have back to back meetings from 9 to 4 today, but I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I've still been a little sick, but I think today is finally my day to get back out there, even if it's only 3 or 4 miles. This weekend I plan to do at least one long run because next Sunday, the 1st, is my 5 miler.

Smiles, I'm all up for a challenge, but it may be difficult with all of us being on differing levels. I'll try to noodle on it and come up with something while I sit through all these darned meetings today.

Here's another subject we can talk about- what do you listen to when you run? I've got the craziest playlist ever. Here's just a sampling:

Gimme Three Steps- Skynrd
    Lose Yourself- Eminem
    Pump It- Black Eyed Peas
    Need You Now- Lady Antebellum
    What was I thinking- Dierks Bentley
    2 Legit 2 Quit- MC Hammer
    Talk Dirty to Me- Poison
    Sexy Back- Justin Timberlake
    Fast Cars and Freedom- Rascal Flatts

I love the variety of your playlist - especially the Poison part!!! I think having a good playlist does make a HUGE difference, and it seems like when I get burned out on one or bored with what I'm listening to, then I start to have problems.

Recently, I listened to one from the 80's and 90's and it was good fun:
    Red Red Wine - UB 40
    Proud Mary - (Tina Turner?)
    We are FAmily - Sister Sledge
    Turn the Beat Around - Gloria Estefan
    and more that I can't remember....

I have an app called Lolo Beat Burn on my iphone that calculates a personalized training program, complete with verbal cues and music with the right BPM for the paces. It's sort of techno music, but it's been pretty fun to run to.

And last but not least, I downloaded a couple of albums from Itunes that are geared for a run. Will have to look up the titles. They've gotten me through many many outdoor runs! :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    thumper44 - nice work, good progress. Isn't it satisfying to be actively improving your time?

Tlcak - hope your knee starts being nice to you soon. Good plan to take workout clothes with you - enjoy your lunch time run!

I did the 30 day shred the past 2 days, also some walking, and um... my muscles are sore. I'm committed to a zumba date with a friend tonight and don't think I have it in me to also try getting in a run today. Tomorrow, I'll shoot for tomorrow.

I'm finding it different to be dabbling in a bunch of different exercises (instead of just running, for instance) but by doing this, and maybe focusing on getting in 2-3 runs a week, this should help the boredom factor.

What other exercises are you guys doing? Or are you mostly exclusively running?
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Im doing 30 day shred inbetween running days, occasionally going on the cross trainer. I think it helps to mx it up a bit, keeps it fresh. In a few weeks I'll probably mix it up again with something else, just not sure what!! I also try to have a rest day, although I like to get a decent walk in on that day!!
  • tlcAK
    Options
    thumper44 - nice work, good progress. Isn't it satisfying to be actively improving your time?

Tlcak - hope your knee starts being nice to you soon. Good plan to take workout clothes with you - enjoy your lunch time run!

I did the 30 day shred the past 2 days, also some walking, and um... my muscles are sore. I'm committed to a zumba date with a friend tonight and don't think I have it in me to also try getting in a run today. Tomorrow, I'll shoot for tomorrow.

I'm finding it different to be dabbling in a bunch of different exercises (instead of just running, for instance) but by doing this, and maybe focusing on getting in 2-3 runs a week, this should help the boredom factor.

What other exercises are you guys doing? Or are you mostly exclusively running?

To help out my knee I'm doing "Hot Yoga" where they crank up the heat. Holy Crap my muscles are sore but the good sore...and I sweat soo much. It's feels like I detox sweating everything out. I recommend it if you have one near you. I kinda do p90x too. Its hard and I get super sore. I hope to be toned as well as thinner!! Plus I plan to at least walk/jog a mile a day for awhil till my knee feels better. I've tried zumba too its fun!
  • jellybird
    jellybird Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    HI there,

I would love to be part of this group. I used to be very consistent in my exercise. Now I have a 2 1/2 year old. I am just getting back into a routine. I'm up to 3 miles and working with the Train for a 5K from C25k even though I don't have plans to race. My goal is to get up to about 25 miles per week and lose 5 more pounds.
  • tlcAK
    Options
    HI there,

I would love to be part of this group. I used to be very consistent in my exercise. Now I have a 2 1/2 year old. I am just getting back into a routine. I'm up to 3 miles and working with the Train for a 5K from C25k even though I don't have plans to race. My goal is to get up to about 25 miles per week and lose 5 more pounds.

Good luck. I'm hoping to put in a mile a day for now and then we will see if I can add more.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    [/quote]

To help out my knee I'm doing "Hot Yoga" where they crank up the heat. Holy Crap my muscles are sore but the good sore...and I sweat soo much. It's feels like I detox sweating everything out. I recommend it if you have one near you. I kinda do p90x too. Its hard and I get super sore. I hope to be toned as well as thinner!! Plus I plan to at least walk/jog a mile a day for awhil till my knee feels better. I've tried zumba too its fun!
    [/quote]

Good for you. So far, despite my best intentions, I have found that I hate yoga! I want to like it but most definitely do not!! Considering I'm also not a fan of extreme temperatures, hot yoga probably is t anywhere in my future! ;) I have utmost respect for those who can do it and like it though!!

I also share your goal of being toned. I've really mixed it up this week. Somewhere along the way I got a stubborn cramp / knot in my calf muscle. Not sure what to do - push through it or rest it out?

Headed to the beach soon, I'll contemplate my options while lounging in the sunshine!!!
  • tlcAK
    Options

[/quote]

Good for you. So far, despite my best intentions, I have found that I hate yoga! I want to like it but most definitely do not!! Considering I'm also not a fan of extreme temperatures, hot yoga probably is t anywhere in my future! ;) I have utmost respect for those who can do it and like it though!!

I also share your goal of being toned. I've really mixed it up this week. Somewhere along the way I got a stubborn cramp / knot in my calf muscle. Not sure what to do - push through it or rest it out?

Headed to the beach soon, I'll contemplate my options while lounging in the sunshine!!!
    [/quote]

I'd rest at least the day and try to work the knot out!
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in. New runner here of about 2 months. Just ran 3 miles today without stopping and looking for other new runners to link up to.

Thanks!
  • thumper44
    Options
    Got another 8kms in today - Repeated C25k Week4 x 2
    I held up for the 5 min jogs, and I felt good today, and I felt that I could have gone further.
    That's a great feeling.
  • tlcAK
    Options
    Got another 8kms in today - Repeated C25k Week4 x 2
    I held up for the 5 min jogs, and I felt good today, and I felt that I could have gone further.
    That's a great feeling.

I just started the C25K program today. Do you like it?
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I'm in. New runner here of about 2 months. Just ran 3 miles today without stopping and looking for other new runners to link up to.

Thanks!

Hi! Great job with the 3 miles without stopping! That feels great, doesn't it? I went out for a jog today - warm up walk of 10 minutes, jogged for 35 minutes, and then enjoyed a walk (lots of hills) for another 35 minutes.

I found that to enjoy myself, I had to let go of any worries about pace or distance. I realized today that jogging is more of a hobby than a serious pursuit for me at this point. And that's okay! I enjoyed the breeze in my hair, being out in the sunshine, and knowing that I was doing something good for myself. I kept telling myself to listen to the music and enjoy the movement, instead of judging how I was doing. Glad I went. ;)