any ideas for a substitute for mayo in tuna fish sandwich?!?

Options

Replies

• AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Apparently there's a Vegan Mayo out there that you can buy that's low in fat and tastes great....at least that's what Rachael Ray said on her show the other day. :smile:

There also appear to be a lot of recipes for it online.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    mix fat free plain greek yogurt with cranberry or lemon mustard. is great! or Just use the mustards plain.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i use lite miracle whip also...i use about 1-2tblspoons and it is 20 cals and 3grams of fat per tablespoon
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Three real options:
    1. Kraft mayo with olive oil (tastes like the real deal with half the calories and half the fat)
    2. Greek yogurt (tastes pretty good but definitely a little different)
    3. Low fat sour cream (it actually tastes really great)
  • Somenameioi
    Somenameioi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been adding chopped avocado- it's creamy and is full of good fat.
  • Angiebug1969
    Options
    I've used plain yogart (haven't tried the greek in tuna salad, but just might try it!!) with a little Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning mix with it. I also finely chop lots of celery, green onion & add frozen peas (that thaw by the time you eat it)... and it is absolutely DELISH!!
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    I mix a wedge of Laughing Cow light swiss with a packet of the reduced sodium starkist and put it in a tortilla...yummy!!!
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    laughing cow 35 calorie cheese... MMMMM
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I like to make tuna fish sandwiches for work they are easy and don't take much to make. The only problem I have is I like hellman's mayo and it is loaded with fat.......any suggestions of what actually tastes good that I could use instead of hellman's?!? Thank you in advance =)

Hellman's Light it really good. We discovered this stuff called Chow Chow, it's like a relish but a mix between sweet and tart. It is so yummy. I made tuna with it the other day with just a tablespoon of mayo. OMG!!! It was the best sandwich I had ever had.
  • Angiebug1969
    Options
    I've been adding chopped avocado- it's creamy and is full of good fat.

Wow that sounds great! Never thought of adding avocado!!
  • babycaykes80
    Options
    I agree.....avocado and a little bit of olive oil! yum!
  • soniajc
    soniajc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use any of the low fat Mayo or if feeling super healthy vinegar and pepper is tasty......
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I trained myself to use greek yogurt. I started by using 3/4 light mayo with 3/4 greek yogurt. Then move to 1/2 and 1/2. Now I just use greek yogurt and it is great! I also put in a dash of dijon mustard just to get some additional flavor going.

Good luck!
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I trained myself to use greek yogurt. I started by using 3/4 light mayo with 3/4 greek yogurt. Then move to 1/2 and 1/2. Now I just use greek yogurt and it is great! I also put in a dash of dijon mustard just to get some additional flavor going.

Good luck!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Avocado is my favorite :)
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    sometimes I use spicy brown mustard or avocado mashed up. You could also limit yourself to 1/2 a tbsp of mayo and add green onions and tomatoes. I've also added it to italian flavored pasta salad...I have the taste buds of a pregnant lady, even though I am not, so some of these things might not sound good to anyone else.
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    i just cover it with HOT sauce ..

This, or salsa for me
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I can't wrap my brain around the greek yogurt thing, sounds SO disgusting to me. Personally I like the Starkist Tuna Creations, they come in flavors like sweet and spicy, lemon pepper, smoky hickory....you don't have to add anything to them and they taste pretty darn good!
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I always use Light Miracle Whip and dill relish instead of sweet. Mmmmmmm!
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    I get the tuna that is canned in its own juices, so I dont need to add anything. However, I have been known to mash an avocado into the tuna when I want that creamy mouth feel.