So what do you think of the new forums?

Options

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »
    sloth3toes wrote: »
    What I wonder is.... how many people will spend less or no time on MFP forums, now that these changes have been made. The last forum I was on that made big sweeping FaceBook style changes like this, lost most of their core members, and was left with the kids. I tried the notifications thing, overnight, and with 100 notifications just from this thread, had to turn it off. I for one, will be spending much less time on MFP, it now just annoys me.

Yep. I am pretty sure that the forums will completely wither and die as a result of these changes. Particularly since the forums as they currently exist will never, ever change or improve in any way. Nope. This is it. MFP killed the golden goose. Woe upon them. And there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Ya, pretty much. 'Cause once I'm done my whining.... I probably won't be back much, doing my usual whining. I did see a big change in the last forum that did this though. The old timers who knew what they were talking about all left, and the whole feeling of the forum changed. So, if that's a good thing... then, I'm all for progress.

Change is not always progress.

• Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the new style. So much wasted whitespace, and the sharper contrast of black on white vs black on grey is harder on the eyes. Dislike :(
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Not really. Actually so annoyed with how it displays on my phone now that I won't log in for a few days until I get home.... then we'll see if the PC display is just as crappy.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    They're assuming that everyone has an 800 x 600 display apparently. What's with the miles and miles of wasted space on the side. You can't find things you've recently commented on. You friends can't see what you're commenting on or when you post a new topic. The groups are off in their own Siberia where you have to go out of your way to find topics there.

Basically it sucks. I don't imagine I'll be in the forums much at all now with these changes. With any luck it will be full of new people posting questions about 1200 calories and juicing cleanses ad nauseum and no one will be around to help them out because it's just not worth it.

If they're wanting more revenue, driving people away from the site isn't the way to get it.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What I wonder is.... how many people will spend less or no time on MFP forums, now that these changes have been made. The last forum I was on that made big sweeping FaceBook style changes like this, lost most of their core members, and was left with the kids. I tried the notifications thing, overnight, and with 100 notifications just from this thread, had to turn it off. I for one, will be spending much less time on MFP, it now just annoys me.

CYA

I didn't know there was "core members"

• RachelStidd
    RachelStidd Posts: 1,102
    Options
    not a fan of the picture size , notifications are ok though
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Once it is the right size it will be nice.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Yep agreed about the size as well, the white, the size...it's hurting my poor eyes.
  • mrfreestyle
    mrfreestyle Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I know it's still in its early stages but so far it's a thumbs down for me. One of my issues is that there's no way to go straight back to the main feed or my profile instead of constantly having to press the back until you get there.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    _TylerJ wrote: »

CYA

I didn't know there was "core members"

Is this what they mean by "spot reducing"?
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    why cant they just use vbulletin or some decent looking forum layout? This is convoluted, tacky, and awful. At least we can quote properly now... a wonderful invention from 1997....

I have great vision, but this layout and avatar size is giving me a migraine
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bergpa wrote: »
    I probably won't use these forums much if the font stays so small. It is hard to read on a tablet and I don't want to have to resize each page I open.

For me, a couple of ctrl+ stick around, I do not need to do it again for another MFP page. What browser are you using?

I'm using an iPad so I have to resize each page I open and once you've resized a page, it may have to be realigned if you don't scroll straight. A slightly sideways swipe leads to a sort of bouncing page. I know I could turn on the accessibility zoom feature but that means lots of page tapping instead.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    meh
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    I don't like it....main reason is everything is sooooo small. Size matters. There are other reasons too, but ain't nobody got time for that.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I know it's still in its early stages but so far it's a thumbs down for me. One of my issues is that there's no way to go straight back to the main feed or my profile instead of constantly having to press the back until you get there.
    There's still a Recent Discussions link and a Home link near the top of every page. (Or do you have something else in mind when you say "main feed"?) As for the profile, I expect they'll add a menu link eventually, but for now we can either remember or bookmark http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/profile.
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like the quotes, it's nice to be able to see who's actually being quoted. And the reply box at the bottom is nice, cuts out a step in the posting process. The text editing stuff is nice too. And the image attachment link.

I don't like having to scroll to the bottom of the page to reply, the tiiiny profile pics, or the lack of My Discussions. I also don't like that there's no link to take you to the last reply on a thread, so you have to scroll through the page to find it. I'm also not sure how I feel about the signatures being taken away, since I used them as little landmarks on the pages.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    You can't find things you've recently commented on. You friends can't see what you're commenting on or when you post a new topic. The groups are off in their own Siberia where you have to go out of your way to find topics there.

I have not been able to see when people reply to posts on my News Feed for months. All I have gotten, even with the old forum, was when they posted topics. Now I don't get anything and I don't like that at all.

I also don't like that all the helpful articles that I bookmarked in my browser are no longer accessible through those bookmarks. Overall I am starting to dislike the upgrade the more I use it. Better integration into the overall site would be far preferable.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    :-1: Not a fan. It's hard to read, user pics are tiny, no more tickers, hate the "show quoted" feature because now I can't just at a glance know what's going on. I do like how it's easier to add pics but I would trade that to just get the old forums back. It wasn't that hard to type "[img][/img]"

This is horrible! I do agree that many users are going to stop using the forums if it stays in it's current state. I know I'm not going to be lurking around for a while.
  • Baconist
    Baconist Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's because they are designing the page/s to work/look better on tables/phones other mobile devices. which I find sad, because not everyone uses those for internet access.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    First world problems.