Legitimate weight loss tip that worked for me

Options
bcerk
bcerk Posts: 41
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a work week vegetarian!

Hi guys. I struggled to see the lbs come off, even with counting calories until I became a work week vegetarian!

I only eat meat 1 day out of the week. It is normally one day on the weekend and is usually only one meal and on the same day as my "cheat day." I have to say, this along with counting calories with My Fitness Pal has helped me lose 6 lbs so far.

I believe that when you're not eating meat, you make healthier decisions in all aspects of your diet. Maybe it is a psychological thing, but I think it works.

And before you start telling me that I'm now lacking nutrients and protein, I get plenty of protein through supplements, protein powders, protein bars and I get all of my nutrients through various foods and vitamins.

If you are struggling to see lbs come off, I really think you should give this a try. Check through my diary if you'd like to see how I'm doing.

This diet routine along with frequent exercise WILL work for you! I promise.

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    This is such a misconception. Going vegetarian/vegan in and of itself does not make anyone lose weight. It only accomplishes this if it causes you to eat in a deficit. I was vegetarian a few years ago. When I made the switch I did lose some weight, but then that leveled out and I remained an overweight vegetarian. So no, you can make no such promise.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can be a fat vegetarian.

You can eat meat and lose weight.

Vegetarians & Vegans generally do it because they're opposed to the idea of eating animals and not because they think it's the magic ticket to weight loss. They don't have cheat days. They follow their conscience every day.

Your meatless diet will work if you keep the calories in line, but any diet will work if you keep the calories in line.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    cool story, and I lost 20lbs in the past month eating pretty much almost all meat and dairy (very low carbs).
    Different things work for different people. I know if the only way for me to lose weight was by going vegan/vegetarian, I would give up within a week.
    I go through a lb of bacon, and a lb of cheese a week.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You lost because you were in a deficit. Sorry, I'm all about the cow...and pig....and bird.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    OP recommends frequent exercise, and low protein.

Yeah... I'm gonna stick to calories in/calories out, and IIMYM.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss. I know I couldn't give up meat but seems like you've found something that works for you and your lifestyle so that's great.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    This is the same way I approach marriage
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in meat, however, I LOVE the Morningstar Grillers veggie burgers, especially at 130cal per patty, put it on a whole wheat bun and that's lunch. It really helps curb my fast food burger cravings.

I have a vegetarian friend, she is the one who introduced me to the veggie burgers. She is in a constant struggle to control her weight, and she has high cholesterol! Just because she is a vegetarian doesn't mean that she is healthier than I am.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    bcerk wrote: »
    And before you start telling me that I'm now lacking nutrients and protein, I get plenty of protein through supplements, protein powders, protein bars and I get all of my nutrients through various foods and vitamins.

Supplements, powders and bars are not the best ways of getting your protein, though. Lean meats, nuts, and dairy should be your first choices over those.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I was a fat vegetarian and an even fatter vegan. (I heart animals.)

Then I became a pescatarian...and got fatter. I'm still eating a pescatarian diet and losing, but that's because I eat at a deficit.

I'm happy it works for you and hope you continue to eat a veg diet, but it's not really a weight loss miracle.

Side note, it really sucks to constantly have people look you up and down and say, "How long have you been a vegetarian/vegan?" The weight loss thing is a misconception, and it makes it even more embarrassing to be a fat veggie. :disappointed:
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi guys. I struggled to see the lbs come off, even with counting calories until I became a work week vegetarian!

I only eat meat 1 day out of the week. It is normally one day on the weekend and is usually only one meal and on the same day as my "cheat day." I have to say, this along with counting calories with My Fitness Pal has helped me lose 6 lbs so far.

I believe that when you're not eating meat, you make healthier decisions in all aspects of your diet. Maybe it is a psychological thing, but I think it works.

If you are struggling to see lbs come off, I really think you should give this a try. Check through my diary if you'd like to see how I'm doing.

You've found a way that works for you, well done. I eat meat every day and have lost close to 32 kg over the past two and a half years and carry a very low body fat percentage just through a simple calorie deficit. Eat or don't eat whatever you want, results are only achieved through the same simple equation though.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is the same way I approach marriage

hehe

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary, I do not see anything that stands out to me as being "healthier" than the average person. 25% of your daily protein intake is from protein bars or shakes, many of your "healthy vegetarian" foods are processed fake meat products, prepackaged meals, or pizza (when you aren't eating just a salad), your yogurt is low calorie but full of sugar or sugar substitute, and your snacks, while meat-free, are basically fries, popcorn, and candy. Not saying any of your food is bad, but your diary does not support your claim that going meatless leads to healthier choices.

I'm glad you found something that works for you, and if going meatless helps you stay under your calorie goal, good on you. But the reason you are losing is due to a calorie deficit, not because of the lack of meat. I would also encourage you to check out some of the vegetarian groups on the site for meal ideas, as your diet does not look very well-balanced and lacks variety. Vegetarian cooking is more than salads, pizza, pretend meats, and veggie stirfrys.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

You've found something that works for you! Congratulations! That does not mean you should tell everyone else to try it.

I've lost 48 pounds, does that mean I should be telling everyone to eat buttered popcorn or pork rinds every night at 10pm? You might find that different things work for you at different parts of your journey (hate that word, but it'll work). I found after a few months that eating high protein kept me full longer and helped me to stay under my calories. Right now I'm in a place where I want to eat more so I've upped my exercise considerably to still be in a deficit.

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for you. :cookie:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't work for me. It's much harder for me to keep calories lower and meet my other goals when I don't eat meat. It's only now that I'm raising my calorie goal that I'm trying to work some meatless days in again.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    jke78 wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in meat, however, I LOVE the Morningstar Grillers veggie burgers, especially at 130cal per patty, put it on a whole wheat bun and that's lunch. It really helps curb my fast food burger cravings.

I have a vegetarian friend, she is the one who introduced me to the veggie burgers. She is in a constant struggle to control her weight, and she has high cholesterol! Just because she is a vegetarian doesn't mean that she is healthier than I am.

Have you tried their spicy black bean burgers? I am no longer vegetarian but I still eat those because they're so yummy!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    This is such a misconception. Going vegetarian/vegan in and of itself does not make anyone lose weight. It only accomplishes this if it causes you to eat in a deficit. I was vegetarian a few years ago. When I made the switch I did lose some weight, but then that leveled out and I remained an overweight vegetarian. So no, you can make no such promise.

I don't understand why so many people automatically go here. I don't thinks he was saying being vegan / vegetarian is the key to weight loss; I think she's saying it worked for her. No need to take it anywhere else. Same with people who post about eating "clean," eating fewer carbs, running on off-days or anything else people might deem as misguided. It helped them and they felt like sharing. No need to jump on her for trying to be positive and helpful.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out. THAT is why you are losing. It has nothing to do with not eating meat. Protein is good for you so I really hope you are watching that and ensuring you are getting enough.