What type of milk do you drink?

Options
I have recently changed from semi-skimmed cow's milk to almond milk (sweetened) and I'm loving it in my tea! Also felt kind of weird drinking milk from another animal and after a recent story I read, it made me change to almond milk.

Replies

• hiraethed
    hiraethed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk all the way! I like soy milk too but I try to only drink it once in a while (say at starbucks or something.)
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened vanilla almond and unsweetened unflavored soy. Soy has more protein and I like the soy flavor. I do eat regular cheese though on occasion.
  • SWWIS
    SWWIS Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant. I use lactose-free skim milk for things like oatmeal and cereal (though I don't really eat either of those too often) and vanilla soy milk for smoothies. I do put normal half and half in my coffee because I typically drink it in the morning, and right after I eat I take a vitamin and a combination probiotic/lactase pill. That way the half and half doesn't disrupt my stomach, because even small amounts of lactose make me feel totally sick, bloated, and other unpleasant things :s
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I don't ever drink it alone. I just use it in smoothies.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would say, please do not drink soy milk as it can increase the chance of breast and prostate cancer.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would say, please do not drink soy milk as it can increase the chance of breast and prostate cancer.

Not really...

http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/cancer-information/cancer-topics/prevention-and-screening/food/soyandcancer.html
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight I drank unsweetened almond milk, in maintenance I have fat free skim milk, same as the rest of my family. I didn't like buying 2 milks.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Either way, I only have 8 oz per day.
  • Frankiigii
    Frankiigii Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Whole milk.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Not really...

http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/cancer-information/cancer-topics/prevention-and-screening/food/soyandcancer.html

Yes really:

Choosing almond milk over cow’s milk or soy milk may help reduce your risk for developing certain types of cancer. According to a study published in a 2011 issue of “Cancer and Nutrition,” cow's milk stimulated the growth of prostate cancer cells, while almond milk suppressed prostate cancer cell growth. The same study found that soy milk increased growth rates of breast cancer cells, but almond milk did not affect breast cancer cell growth.''

And I got it from this website.
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/healthy-almond-milk-1539.html
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I drink whole milk because it kinda feels weird drinking nut milk.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    2% milk, but I'm not a milk fan and only use it on cereal or in scrambled eggs
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Whatever cow milk happens to be in the fridge, with various fat content.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have normal skim milk in my cereal, or if I am drinking a glass of milk with whatever I am eating. However, I put sweetened vanilla almond or sweetened vanilla coconut milk in my coffee instead of using coffee creamer. Normal coffee creamer has way too many calories, even the fat free or sugar free kind (I like my coffee very, very light) and normal milk in coffee just doesn't taste right. The sweetened vanilla almond or sweetened vanilla coconut makes me feel like I'm still having tasty creamer (it tastes very similar) but without the calorie overload.
  • ready_to_rise
    ready_to_rise Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Soy is bad for the thyroid so I avoid it as much as possible (but I did drink tonnes of soy milk before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and I always wonder if it played some part in my problems). I can't abide cow's milk so I'll drink unsweetened almond or brown rice milk. They taste really good in smoothies and if you have rice milk with hot chocolate it tastes like chocolate rice pudding!
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    Half n' half for my coffee or tea but I buy the kids organic, humanely treated, low pasterized (or raw), whole milk from one of the local dairies. I get goats' milk with the same specifications if I can get my hands on it.

I'm wary of almond milk because the unknown affects that pesticides have the bees that pollenate the blossoms in turn the nuts themselves. I'll make my own almond milk if I can from a trusted almond source.
  • LoadedM6Tina
    LoadedM6Tina Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Skim but in my smoothies I LOVE coconut water! 3 bananas, mixed fruit and Coconut water...its Delish! :p
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I still drink plain old skim cow's milk. I just find it's more refreshing than almond milk, which I've tried, but couldn't make the switch to!
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    2% or 1% milk