Breakfast or no?

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Ah yes, metabolism, the most overrated excuse/phenomenon is the non-weight loss world.

Funny how many people think that skipping breakfast is the solution. How about just skipping that huge burger you are looking to have instead at dinner time? I am sure that will help your metabolic rate.

how about just eat in a deficit and forget about meal timing all together?

let me guess burgers are 'bad'…????

Nowhere in my post did I say that.

There are however, plenty of people who think skipping breakfast helps. Funny how they dont suggest skipping a meal which tends to be much more calorific.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    In for Steve
    however, OP you will find passionate discussion for and against on this topic. The truth has been said though. Do what makes you happy and productive in the morning. Best. :)
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I cant eat breakfast before work, it makes me so hungry until lunch. If i skip it no hunger. I do the 5:2 lifestyle so skipping breakfast it helps me stay on track on fast days. My personal preference is to have a larger dinner and snacks at night time.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    No
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was once one of those who demanded that breakfast had to be eaten - AND BIG!
    That's what kicks off your metabolism and gives you energy to face the day and curb hunger later...BLAH...BLAH...BLAH....and it's all bunk.

There is even some evidence that intermittent fasting has positive health benefits.
    Who knows?
    I have always hated eating breakfast, so I skip it while watching my calories and balancing my macros. I lost over 80 pounds and have achieved stellar results.
    For me...CASE CLOSED!

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, metabolism, the most overrated excuse/phenomenon is the non-weight loss world.

Funny how many people think that skipping breakfast is the solution. How about just skipping that huge burger you are looking to have instead at dinner time? I am sure that will help your metabolic rate.

There are however, plenty of people who think skipping breakfast helps. Funny how they dont suggest skipping a meal which tends to be much more calorific.

the why did you say "skip the burger"....I can fit a burger into my daily calorie allowance and macro target, what is wrong with that?

• ndj1979
    Options
    Boccellin wrote: »
    If it would be a major inconvenience for you, it's not strictly necessary, but I find eating breakfast really starts the day off right. I usually eat an enormous breakfast, sometimes it has more calories than my dinner. Really wakes me up and makes me feel great. Gives me a lot more energy. However, even if it's just something as simple as eating a granola bar while you're walking to class. For me, it does wake up my metabolism, and it allows me to eat normally throughout the day, because I'm not starving by lunch. However, if it's too inconvenient, you could probably achieve the same thing by keeping a few snacks handy and munching on them between meals.

sorry, but it does not "wake up" metabolism..no matter how you feel ...

n=1 = fail...
  • eldamiano
    Options

the why did you say "skip the burger"....I can fit a burger into my daily calorie allowance and macro target, what is wrong with that?

Show me a piece by which in general speech, saying 'Skip the burger' equates to 'Burgers are bad', and I will rest my case. Use common sense.

Moral of the story - if the poster is trying to look at avoiding more food to lose weight then much better to cut down on a highly calorific food than a bit of breakfast. Glory be.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Show me a piece by which in general speech, saying 'Skip the burger' equates to 'Burgers are bad', and I will rest my case. Use common sense.

Moral of the story - if the poster is trying to look at avoiding more food to lose weight then much better to cut down on a highly calorific food than a bit of breakfast. Glory be.

Thank you! geeeezz... Eating breakfast is smart. Its a proven fact that it reduces your chances of overeating throughout the remainder of the day or at night when you are more sedentary. Test the theory. if you are famished by noon or early afternoon then you will gorge yourself and most likely eat more calories than you would have had you eaten a healthful, reasonably sized breakfast. I understand crazy schedules, and that can be an exception to how and when you eat, but really it IS all about what you chose. Nothing particular should be eliminated but better choices (healthier and smaller portions of food several times a day) is ulimately the BEST thing you can do for your body to maintain a healthy weight. Period.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

You implied it. If that's what you wanted to do. Great, if you didn't want to do that. Knock it off.

I've seen a few of your posts today where you implied something, got called it, and responded like that. You might want to be more specific about what you say if people are consistently "misunderstanding" you in similar manners.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    dmegk5 wrote: »
    So I'm a college student (enough said). I'm living just off campus and it's always late nights studying it seems for me. I started out the year eating breakfast (special K cereal) but then it slowly got pushed out of my morning schedule. I shower in the morning and sometimes make lunch and stuff and it seems like I'm always rushing out the door to work or class. I've heard that breakfast helps boost metabolism. I could wake up ten minutes earlier to fit it in but is it really that important? Thoughts?

I don't eat breakfast....doing so over a year now.
    Been fine

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Thank you! geeeezz... Eating breakfast is smart. Its a proven fact that it reduces your chances of overeating throughout the remainder of the day or at night when you are more sedentary. Test the theory..

I don't know that is true.....

I test it every day....on my workout days, after I lift, I eat big that first meal....1000+ calories....
    On days I don't lift.....then when I do eat, it is not as much....

Your body gets used to an eating pattern.....
    Still comes down to self-control
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Thank you! geeeezz... Eating breakfast is smart. Its a proven fact that it reduces your chances of overeating throughout the remainder of the day or at night when you are more sedentary. Test the theory. if you are famished by noon or early afternoon then you will gorge yourself and most likely eat more calories than you would have had you eaten a healthful, reasonably sized breakfast. I understand crazy schedules, and that can be an exception to how and when you eat, but really it IS all about what you chose. Nothing particular should be eliminated but better choices (healthier and smaller portions of food several times a day) is ulimately the BEST thing you can do for your body to maintain a healthy weight. Period.

I agree that breakfast helps some people to not overeat throughout the day. But it's not a proven fact for everyone. In fact, breakfast makes some people hungrier and more prone to overeat through the day. It's personal preference to eat it or skip it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    @jamieben1824
    Oryl? Cite an academic study proving that please.
  • ndj1979
    Options

if a burger is not bad, then why skip it?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I used to skip breakfast all the time when I did intermittent fasting (IF) and I never had any issues with over eating...

so my n=1 trumps your n=1; therefore, this is not a "proven" fact...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

While that may be the case for some people (i.e. me), meal timing and frequency is still a personal preference. There are people who eat in the morning and it opens up a bottomless pit. In fact, my breakfast was still over 500 calories this morning, and it's enough to keep me satisfied until around 2:30 when I get home and can eat lunch.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people think there has to be a universal answer to every question. If you prefer to eat breakfast, do it. If you find it helps you to skip it, skip it. Worry about what works for you, rather than what works for other people.
  • eldamiano
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

You implied it. If that's what you wanted to do. Great, if you didn't want to do that. Knock it off.

I've seen a few of your posts today where you implied something, got called it, and responded like that. You might want to be more specific about what you say if people are consistently "misunderstanding" you in similar manners.

Oh what a load of old cobblers. Apologies if you cant differentiate between 'Skip the burger' and 'Burgers are bad'. I suggest that is your lack of understanding rather than me implying something. What would be the point of me writing anything if I didnt put that part of the post.

It is perfectly comprehensible within the context of a conversation about whether one should skip breakfast to lower calorie intake, to actually recommend skipping something else that has more calories. Nowhere did I say cut out the burger or you will have a heart attack or something on similar lines. I think that you just made that up.
  • dbmata
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    I don't understand why some people think there has to be a universal answer to every question. If you prefer to eat breakfast, do it. If you find it helps you to skip it, skip it. Worry about what works for you, rather than what works for other people.

No one is looking for universal. You know that.

I think some of us are pushing for logical, rational, and reasonable.

High standards for MFP, I know. However, it is a good fight to fight.