True or False? A Calorie is a Calorie is a Calorie.

Options
My nephew and his wife follow Paleo religiously. He says that calories from different sources behave differently in the body. I always thought that too. I was taught in nursing school that the body converts carbs to glycogen and in turn glucose, and it's readily absorbed into the bloodstream. Much glucose is absorbed by brain as it has no capacity to store fuel and needs a continuous supply. Only when there is an excess of glucose will it be stored as fat. On the other hand, fat calories are stored in the adipose (fat cells) cells to be used when needed.

So it begs the question, is excess sugar calories better than excess fat calories? Or does the end result make no difference? I'm only asking because I wondered if there is less risk if I blow the diet and eat a candy bar instead of an extra slice of pizza. Not that I'm planning to do either one. It's just something I'm curious about. I'm pretty new to MFP, so I apologise if this is redundant and has already been posted somewhere. Anyone have thoughts?

Replies

• kamurray6
    kamurray6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of studies suggest that sugar is worse, hence the success of low carb diets. Although I have read recent studies suggest that in the long run low fat vs low carb are about equally effective. I think everyone's body reacts differently and you don't know until you try. For me, if the calories are approximately equal I will gain weight from the candy bar. The pizza won't affect me as much.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie. Too many calories from any source (carbs, fat, or protein) will be stored as fat. The grams of fat in your food are not automatically stored as fat.

Excess calories of one macro are not better than excess calories of another macro. Excess calories cause weight gain.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie. Too many calories from any source (carbs, fat, or protein) will be stored as fat. The grams of fat in your food are not automatically stored as fat.

Excess calories of one macro are not better than excess calories of another macro. Excess calories cause weight gain.

this

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. Just like a foot is a foot, a yard is a yard and a liter is a liter. What comprises those calories will obviously have a different effect on hormones, how they are stored and what they are used for.
    The biggest issue here is usually when carbs become the conversation and it becomes a long drawn out argument of whether they are needed by the body or not.
    Both sides have great arguments, but the reality is that when it comes to weight loss, it's usually going to just come down to calories in/out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This should prove to be its usual stupidly entertaining.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Excess calories are stored as fat. It doesn't matter whether they started out as protein or carbs or what have you.

Some people have medical issues and should watch their carbs.

Some people have medical issues and should watch their fat.

For me it's not about losing weight (?!). The more important thing is keeping the weight off. I've lost weight eating low fat....gained it back. I've lost weight eating low carb....gained it back.

Lifestyle changes.....if you see yourself going paleo (low carb, low fat) forever....go for it. Making a temporary change and expecting a permanent result is silly (guilty as charged). Obviously many people do the temporary change because regaining most of the weight they lost is really common.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a unit of measure.

If a calorie is not a calorie- than a tape measure is not equal to another tape measure. period.

• porscheMD
    porscheMD Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    sucrose(s), carbohydrates, lipids, amino acids (proteins), will eventually be used to create energy for the body. They undergo different process, but when the body needs it, it will take it. Sugar > carbs > lipids > amino acids is the order in which the easiest way your body will obtain energy from. That's why when you eat a candy bar, you immediately feel the energy, because it's easy to break down.
  • kamurray6
    kamurray6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but there are so many recent books and studies that suggest that a calorie is not a calorie. So it's open for discussion.

Except on this site, where suggesting that a calorie may not be a calorie will be responded to with hostility, vitriol, ridicule and incredulity.

You aren't kidding. So many here think they are experts and have the worst attitudes. I hope none of these people are actual professional teachers. Maybe they're so bitchy because despite being diet/nutrition/fitness experts they are still fat like a lot of us regular folks.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My thought process was going more toward the likelihood that a sugar calorie will quickly be swept up into the bloodstream and used as 'brain food' rather than being stored, while the fat calorie will be stored unless there is a deficit. So I if I screw up and have my Reece's it will be brain fuel and not stored and if I screwed up and ate the pizza it would be more likely to be stored rather than immediately used. Just a thought. Nit-picking I'm sure, but it makes for interesting idea sharing. Thanks for your thoughts on both sides of the debate.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

In b4 prettykitty starts claiming members on MFP claim we recommend people eat a diet of all donuts but yet He never provides proof.

Prettykitty, is this going to be the thread where you actually back your claims with evidence? Is it? Don't just say studies or evidence exists. Bring it forward.
    You don't recommend the Twinkie diet?

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP use MFP to count calories and track your nutrients. Asking questions about sugar versus fat is like herding cats on here. So if you want to drop 21 pounds eat a slight deficit to your TDEE. Good luck.