Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Baloney = Mortadella
    Don't know either of them
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    What do you call a hot dog/frankfurter/wiener/tube steak/red hot in the U.K.?

A hot dog
    Or frankfurter
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your contributions everyone!
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I remember a cousin coming to visit from UK and he said "Pass the treacle/trickle (sp?) please?" and we all stared at him. He grabbed the syrup bottle on his own lol!

edit: What a fun post!! I loved reading all of them.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I believe this sums up the UK cider drinking experience nicely..

cider.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    is treacle a specific type of syrup, or just a generic for syrup?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

It's usually golden cane sugar syrup. I think black treacle is like molasses.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I loved this stuff. There's the eternal "*kitten*" one, which was great reading the UK version of Allen Carr's the Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

Today, I was warned not to use the term "fanny pack" (I guess it's called a bum bag and the other one is waaaaaaay more than I would ever want to discuss in public).

Sorry, I know these aren't foods.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Baloney = Mortadella

Baloney is not the same as Mortadella, though they look similar.

What's the difference? I've always read that mortadella is Italy's version of balogna. Minor differences, like spices used?
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    donut - doughnut
    Our differences are hilarious, the other day i heard an American say she got 'bummed' on her commute home, i lol'd she wondered why ;)

Hahaha bumming! :D
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I should have said that I know the preparation is different; however, and maybe I've only had the cheap stuff, but balogna tastes an awful lot like mortadella.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    lisajo89 wrote: »
    UK - USA
    Pork shoulder - Pork butt
    Streaky bacon - Bacon
    Ice lolly / Lolly ice - Popsicle
    Prawns - Shrimp

Pork butt is a part of a pork shoulder. Pork shoulders have picnic and butt sections.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Paracetamol? I came across that one reading a short story and, based on context clue,s I think it's a pain killer like Tylenol or Advil.
    And don't you Brits call Band-Aids plasters?

ETA oh wait, you asked about food. Ignore me.

ignoring is mean :) yes, paracetamol is a pain killer, and we call band aids plasters. :)

i have often wondered what Americans call cider, (alcoholic apple based drink) because what you call cider doesn't seem to be alcoholic as far as i can tell.

and cold cuts sounds so much tastier than our processed meat.

oh thought of one
    linseed (uk) flaxseed (us)
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Botulism = Steak and kidney pie (according to Marge Simpson)
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    I remember my years in Scotland very well.
    Gammon = ham
    biscuits = cookies
    chips = french fries
    crisps = potato chips

I have yet to see an American scone that was like the ones I had in the tea shop in Dunoon. American ones are way too large, way too dry, and rarely have currants (my favorite). An American rich cream biscuit that is sweetened with some dried fruit could do it.

Oh, yeah. If you didn't specifically specify black coffee, what you would get in the tea shop was white coffee, which is brewed coffee with hot milk.

King Arthur has a good sour cream blueberry mix- haven't tried other flavors, and don't believe they have current - but I sometimes add dried cherries and I'm sure you could add currents to the mix too. But nice and moist and you can make them whatever size you want.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

It's usually golden cane sugar syrup. I think black treacle is like molasses.

That's a regional thing - Lyle's Golden Syrup and Black Treacle are two distinct products as you describe, but some refer to the former as "treacle". I hope they never get employed in a pharmacy or similar.

IDShot_225x225.jpg
    IDShot_225x225.jpg
  • yarwell
    Options
    oh thought of one
    linseed (uk) flaxseed (us)

Not really, one of my Dad's fields in the UK is called "Flax Holme" 'cos they used to grow flax = linseed on it decades ago and weave using the fibre. Could be a regional thing. http://www.cumbria-industries.org.uk/a-z-of-industries/linen/holme-mills-flax-and-coconut-matting/

This might be one of several examples where US English still reflects older UK English but the UK language has moved along more.
  • yarwell
    Options
    I should have said that I know the preparation is different; however, and maybe I've only had the cheap stuff, but balogna tastes an awful lot like mortadella.

http://www.lifeinitaly.com/food/Mortadella.asp describes "MORTADELLA DI BOLOGNA"

(pronounced Balonya as it's Italian - "Baloney" in the UK is "*kitten*" as in 'I don’t buy it—it’s all a load of baloney')
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    What Americans call Graham Crackers are Digestive Biscuits. (Or at least close enough that I use Digestive Biscuits in recipes for graham cracker crust.)

what is a "crust" ?

The pastry like base for a cheese cake. It's essentially crushed up graham crackers bound with butter.

ah, that would be a "base". "Crust" would generally be taken as something on the top in British English, or the overbaked bits around the edge of a slice of bread.

Then what do Brits call the pastry that forms both the base and top of a "double-crust pie," as it is called in U.S.? (Crust is used for the exterior of a loaf of bread, or the edges of a slice of bread, in the U.S. as well.)
  • yarwell
    Options
    Then what do Brits call the pastry that forms both the base and top of a "double-crust pie," as it is called in U.S.?

"Pastry"