True or False? A Calorie is a Calorie is a Calorie.

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    OP use MFP to count calories and track your nutrients. Asking questions about sugar versus fat is like herding cats on here. So if you want to drop 21 pounds eat a slight deficit to your TDEE. Good luck.

my cat can't be herded. She just lays down and refuses to move

Really?!? So unlike a Paleo diehard or IIFYM diehard. . . .well hopefully they are moving to provide a little more of a deficit for whatever calorie they may be ingesting ;)

lol. I would hope so but I was trying to make a funny with the whole "herding cats" statement...sorry

I love this; yes you were funny. My point was trying to get 2 groups so distinctly separated by derp to agree is equally impossible. "unlike" use a sarcastic tone and re-read it and see how it sounds. And take the word 'so' and eally draw it out. . .better? Eat a Snickers...now better?

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    True.
    10540940.png
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Protein speeds your metabolism and fat gets you into ketosis so those both have benefits that sugar doesn't...

Actually, it's the lack of carbs in one's diet that will make a person go into Ketosis.

Protein & fat are necessary, but not the deciding factor for a body to become keto adapted.

A body still has protein & fat in reserves (presumably) but once liver glycogen & muscle glycogen is depleted, ketosis is the result.

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I do so desperately miss the Ignore button.

Me too -____-
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    yes they are the same yet if you over eat some will pack pounds on faster than others. As long as you stay under your calorie goal consistently you will lose weight. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Woodspoon wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie because it is a unit of measurement and nothing more

nobody asks if a centimeter is a centimeter or a kilogramme is a kilogramme, it's all just units of measurement.
    It's how that calorie is obtained, used or not used that's important.

But is a unicorn a unicorn?

No apparently a unicorn is a woman who is on the 3-5 crazy scale and 9-10 hotness scale...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuI6GTY9eVc

This guy may have been caught with a trampoline, a pair of hip boots, and a map with a big "X" indicating a sheep farm. Maybe not recently, but I'm sure is has happened.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Unless, and until you make sustainable changes in eating habits, chances are you will be in the huge majority of people that lose weight and gain it all (and for many people even more) back. "Good" calories vs "bad calories. Your nutrition goals depend on the choices of where you get the calories from, how you want to nourish your body. Personal choices and goals. Eating less calories than you burn for weight loss, and to maintain eat only the number of calories you need. Regular exercise contributes to overall good health.

there is NO SUCH THING as a bad calorie...they are JUST CALORIES

I disagree... I once had a calorie pull a knife on me...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    IN!
    Cat-Slides-Down-Banister-Into-Basket_zps85365145.gif

LOL

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    Unless, and until you make sustainable changes in eating habits, chances are you will be in the huge majority of people that lose weight and gain it all (and for many people even more) back. "Good" calories vs "bad calories. Your nutrition goals depend on the choices of where you get the calories from, how you want to nourish your body. Personal choices and goals. Eating less calories than you burn for weight loss, and to maintain eat only the number of calories you need. Regular exercise contributes to overall good health.

there is NO SUCH THING as a bad calorie...they are JUST CALORIES

I disagree... I once had a calorie pull a knife on me...

lol...did you give the calorie your wallet...or a cookie...

if you give a calorie a cookie it will just want milk. . .
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ33nK9g2u6hQwhdvwH33rzoOi7PjzHHjwoimbbsBh-vJLDdjQS
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Semantics. I used the wrong words. Sorry it is so hard for some people to get my meaning. I am not as good as you are at choosing the correct words.
    I should have said, calories that give your body better nutritional value vs ones that may have less nutritional value. Does this make it easier to understand?

Doesn't really matter. Your body also has an upper limit for good nutritional values like vitamins and minerals. It doesn't do you any better to go over in those and in some cases it can even be dangerous. For someone who has to eat lots of calories in a day like someone who does a lot of exercise, having some "empty calories" could be the better course of action for both nutrition and not having to eat their bodyweight in "healthy, nutritious food" every day.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've no idea. I would say the pizza would be healthier than the candy bar, as it probably has some veg on it in some way or the other. Although it would have unhealthy fat, I think unhealthy unnatural sugar would be worse. It's not substantial. But trust, even if you ate over your maintenance with it, you would not gain weight with just one single item of food.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie.

The only difference is depending on where the calorie is coming from. Your body will use 1 calorie from sugar differently than it would 1 calorie from quality protein.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Hit and run comment...

Meat and veggie calories yum! Sugar and junk food calories yuk!

Hmmm... let's see, do I want a big pile of organic omega eggs loaded with veggies and real bacon cooked in real butter and/or coconut oil for breakfast? Or do I want a (fake/carby) bacon egg and cheese sandwich from Dunkin Donuts... both have around the same amount of calories.

The sandwich will most likely make me feel full for about an hour, and bloated and overloaded with sodium and whatever other chemicals are used to process and I'll surely be looking forward to my 10:30 snack. Oh wait... am I really hungry for a snack or did MFP tell me I should have a snack? Anyway... The sandwich is quick and easy and I can even eat it in the car on my way to work.

The first choice... filling to the point where I can't finish the appropriate portion and leaves me feeling full, satisfied, lean and strong. No bloating, plenty of energy and not even thinking about my next meal, how many calories I have left for the day... plus a powerful workout.

Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs - grains, bread, wheat, pasta do.

Sure, a calorie is a calorie but as stated here many times nutrition is different.

I'd rather eat more and eat right and not stress about calories and numbers and lose weight vs. the other option.

A lot of the nutrition plans out there are based on trial and error and a lot of math. Paleo is backed by science. Everyone's body (normally functioning body) digest food in the same manner.

Taking cover in anticipation of the nasty comments about my opinion... hahahaha!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    - But good calories vs bad calories is just silly

Really? Silly?
    What I mean is (maybe hard for some to grasp the concept) you can choose calories that give your body something that is good for your health vs calories that have very little nutritional value. Your choice, your body, your health, and your decision.

Yes I do think seeing calories as good and bad is silly.

Nobody is arguing that some foods are more nutritious than others - but a calorie is still a calorie and demonising individual foods into good and bad is not helpful for most people it is your diet as a whole that matters. Not each component in isolation.

And anyway that is addressing nutrition, not weight loss, and so is irrelevant to the question of is a calorie a calorie.

Just like walking a mile on a flat even path is easier than trekking a mile through rugged mountains, one might be better for my fitness goals than the other - but the distance of a mile is still the distance of a mile, the unit of measurement is a constant thing.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Hit and run comment...

Meat and veggie calories yum! Sugar and junk food calories yuk!

Hmmm... let's see, do I want a big pile of organic omega eggs loaded with veggies and real bacon cooked in real butter and/or coconut oil for breakfast? Or do I want a (fake/carby) bacon egg and cheese sandwich from Dunkin Donuts... both have around the same amount of calories.

The sandwich will most likely make me feel full for about an hour, and bloated and overloaded with sodium and whatever other chemicals are used to process and I'll surely be looking forward to my 10:30 snack. Oh wait... am I really hungry for a snack or did MFP tell me I should have a snack? Anyway... The sandwich is quick and easy and I can even eat it in the car on my way to work.

The first choice... filling to the point where I can't finish the appropriate portion and leaves me feeling full, satisfied, lean and strong. No bloating, plenty of energy and not even thinking about my next meal, how many calories I have left for the day... plus a powerful workout.

Fat doesn't make you fat, carbs - grains, bread, wheat, pasta do.

Sure, a calorie is a calorie but as stated here many times nutrition is different.

I'd rather eat more and eat right and not stress about calories and numbers and lose weight vs. the other option.

A lot of the nutrition plans out there are based on trial and error and a lot of math. Paleo is backed by science. Everyone's body (normally functioning body) digest food in the same manner.

Taking cover in anticipation of the nasty comments about my opinion... hahahaha!
    Nope
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/
    "Carbohydrates can be stored as liver or muscle glycogen, under rare circumstances they are converted to and stored as fat."