True or False? A Calorie is a Calorie is a Calorie.

Options

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I used to agree that a calorie was a calorie. So I bought a box of sweet cereal. I weighed and measured as always and that week I was up 2 lbs. My only gain in over 160 days. There was no other excuse for that weight gain except for the lucky charms.

This is a perfect example of increased carb intake leading to more water weight.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My .02 cents worth (not worth much to anyone else but me). For me, (and I am a snowflake), I got obese by overeating too much of everything, I did not discriminate against any food, I ate too much of them all. I became a "normal" sized old lady over the past 2-1/2 years by eating less of all the same foods. I eat less than I burn. Lesson learned by this old lady. It is working for me. I am happy, my family is happy and my doctor is happy with the results. That is my bottom line.

Thanks, snowflake. That's pretty much my plan, as well. I do find it interesting that there is so much controversy and difference of opinion on this topic. Remind me never to bring up vegan or vegetarian vs carnivore. LOL!

• ThatDoll
    ThatDoll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Welp I never knew people on MFP could be so hilariously sarcastic .
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    OP use MFP to count calories and track your nutrients. Asking questions about sugar versus fat is like herding cats on here. So if you want to drop 21 pounds eat a slight deficit to your TDEE. Good luck.

my cat can't be herded. She just lays down and refuses to move

Really?!? So unlike a Paleo diehard or IIFYM diehard. . . .well hopefully they are moving to provide a little more of a deficit for whatever calorie they may be ingesting ;)

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    The differences between the four major macromolecules:
    macromolecules.jpg

Note that both Lipids and Carbohydrates are composed entirely of Carbon Hydrogen and Oxygen, they're simply in different arrangements. The body can EASILY convert carbohydrates in to lipids and lipids in to carbohydrates, and it DOES. So it doesn't really matter what form you eat the calories in (carbs or fats) the body will do with it what it will. Now, the reason that fats produce more energy per gram than carbs is because fats have a greater proportion carbon-hydrogen bonds. It is through breaking these bonds that energy is released for the body to use. So more bonds = more calories.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    macromolecules.jpg

Note that both Lipids and Carbohydrates are composed entirely of Carbon Hydrogen and Oxygen, they're simply in different arrangements. The body can EASILY convert carbohydrates in to lipids and lipids in to carbohydrates, and it DOES. So it doesn't really matter what form you eat the calories in (carbs or fats) the body will do with it what it will. Now, the reason that fats produce more energy per gram than carbs is because fats have a greater proportion carbon-hydrogen bonds. It is through breaking these bonds that energy is released for the body to use. So more bonds = more calories.

ok...this was fun until someone actually brought the science. :cookie:

Science teacher :D

• Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie because it is a unit of measurement and nothing more

nobody asks if a centimeter is a centimeter or a kilogramme is a kilogramme, it's all just units of measurement.
    It's how that calorie is obtained, used or not used that's important.
  • GarciaJorgeA
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie. Too many calories from any source (carbs, fat, or protein) will be stored as fat. The grams of fat in your food are not automatically stored as fat.

Excess calories of one macro are not better than excess calories of another macro. Excess calories cause weight gain.

Actually, some calories cannot be stored and must be consumed. "The reason is that your body can't store calories from alcohol for later, the way it does with food calories" (ref: http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20670897,00.html ; et.al.)

Alcohol must be metabolized by the liver, however long it takes. On the other hand, any other calorie sources (food, juices,etc.) will then be stored in the body while the alcohol is processed. Tantamount to mixing alcohol and water and then boiling the mix ... the alcohol will evaporate first, before any water can evaporate. For that matter any liquid with a lower boiling point will evaporate before other liquids present with a higher boiling point.

Just my $1.00 - 0.98.

Cheers and happy weight loss.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    macromolecules.jpg

lol...damn you teachers. J/K my daughter is very good at science. Was gonna be a mechanical engineer in college...now she wants to be a photographer :neutral_face:
    I have a friend who made this exact switch and is doing quite well and has a very successful photography studio, so I wouldn't panic just yet. :wink:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    macromolecules.jpg

Walter White, is Dat u?
    That's boring, I play with fishies.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    science-stand-back1.jpg